• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is the Live-Action Bleach Movie Any Good?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I think in terms of 'anime to live-action movies', this one is one of the better ones. There are problems with it, but there are positives to it. And ones we don't really need to be fishing through the problems to find. The effects weren't bad, and the costumes were good. I thought the actors weren't awful (and I think some of the performances were dampened by their appearance length in the movie aka Byakuya). And then Ishida; they could've dropped his character completely from this movie. Kinda disappointed; I thought they'd either roll with Ishida and leave Orihime/Chad to the side, or the opposite. Instead, they somehow did both? Oh well. Still got one cool shot of the two space Kamen Riders though.

Sota Fukushi actually fit Ichigo I thought pretty well; it was weird seeing him with that color hair though. Then again, it's been a long time since I read early Bleach.

If they were able to make another movie (hey, Tokyo Ghoul got one, I can dream), I think they'd be able to expand on the other characters and make it a bit more 'full'. It became obvious they were setting up Orihime and Chad to contribute, but I wish they got a bit more interaction with the plot.

Wow. I did not think I had that much to say about this movie.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
I hope they cast Hitomi Tanaka to play Rangiku for a potential sequel.You know she would be physically perfect for the part...
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:42 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
I hope they cast Hitomi Tanaka to play Rangiku for a potential sequel.You know she would be physically perfect for the part...

She's probably the only one who could fill that uniform. Wink

I saw it on Netflix the other day after seeing some fairly positive reviews, and well...it's not that bad. It's clearly a film that works thanks to the fight scenes and the rather surprising amount of chemistry between the two leads (shame about that pesky manga, huh?) but considering most adaptations can't even get that right, I'm happy.

It also probably helps that Bleach's first arc is urban fantasy, so it's not asking you to accept something completely insane.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I just pray they don't try to force Ichigo and Rukia as a couple just to please certain sectors of the fandom if this gets a sequel.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
I just pray they don't try to force Ichigo and Rukia as a couple just to please certain sectors of the fandom if this gets a sequel.

I agree as far as faithfulness goes, but something around 9/10's of all the reviews I've seen go on and on about the chemistry the two have on-screen. Not to mention by reducing Orihime to a background player in the story (albeit one whose crush is openly acknowledged), there's no competing element for that central relationship.

Then again Kubo is handling creative decisions IIRC, and certainly he wouldn't change the dynamics of the main relationships in the story because of what the critics thought, right?

Right?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:40 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
AiddonValentine wrote:

I agree as far as faithfulness goes, but something around 9/10's of all the reviews I've seen go on and on about the chemistry the two have on-screen. Not to mention by reducing Orihime to a background player in the story (albeit one whose crush is openly acknowledged), there's no competing element for that central relationship.

Then again Kubo is handling creative decisions IIRC, and certainly he wouldn't change the dynamics of the main relationships in the story because of what the critics thought, right?

Right?

I certainly hope. Especially when I find most arguments for it aren't exactly compelling.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:57 am Reply with quote
Watched every canon ep of the Bleach anime as it aired. Have never seen any of the live action actors previous work. Watched the movie subtitled on Netflix.

This movie was great! It's a good start meant to introduce new fans to the world of Bleach and for that it did a great job! The actor playing Ichigo did a spot on job to me. I didn't see an actor. I saw Ichigo. I think the reviewers are being too cynical. If this manages to drum up enough interest in the manga and anime to get the final arc animated finally, I will sing it's praises to help. Tell people who have never seen Bleach to watch this. Then hand them Volume One of the manga or the first box set of the anime or point them to Crunchyroll. I will fully admit that I was not a fan of the way the anime ended. It's one of the few things fans of shounen anime and manga can almost universally agree on; But that has no relevance to THIS particular movie. Thus why I think the reviewers are being too cynical. I enjoyed being able to watch Bleach again with new eyes. Last time I did that was in 2004. Smile
luis.couto.56

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:16 am Reply with quote
Please this is just ANN being hater for non-reason to Bleach. This isn´t new it´s just sad that biggest anime website have that type of behaviour when gave so much to this media and it´s clear one of the best manga ever! The same goes to the movie that is one of the best anime live actions ever and also one of the best japanese movies. It´s a shame that they don´t support a production like this.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Right?

Would he?

luis.couto.56 wrote:
Please this is just ANN being hater for non-reason to Bleach. This isn´t new it´s just sad that biggest anime website have that type of behaviour when gave so much to this media and it´s clear one of the best manga ever!

I don't believe you read the commentary on it otherwise you would know hardly anyone has bashed the movie (unjustly) even in the article or in this thread. Yes the movie did get crapped on here when it was announced and when the first production shots were revealed.

Which is to be expected when you adapt a comic book into a live action movie (which Japan doesn't have a consistently good track record of).

luis.couto.56 wrote:

The same goes to the movie that is one of the best anime live actions ever and also one of the best japanese movies. It´s a shame that they don´t support a production like this.

By support you mean not criticize any of the movie's legit flaws and pretend it's much better than it really is?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are IchiRuki shippers?

I'm no shipper-person myself, but that pairing made far more sense than Kubo awkwardly shoehorning people together in the final chapter. Then again Kishimoto did the exact same thing.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:17 pm Reply with quote
I have fond memories of early Bleach. It had a great aesthetic and an even better soundtrack. I'd be way more likely to check out the movie if it had Number One (inset song during fight scenes), Asterisk, and Ichirin no Hana! And if it had a good sense of humor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1