• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rainy Cocoa Anime's 5th Season Reveals Different Female Main Cast, January Debut, Title

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
Talk about pointless...
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Talk about pointless...

Pointless how? Series makes money and then they release a different version with a cast of the opposite gender and that sells to another crowd. Take the newer Male IdolMaster for example it's selling super well.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
Yeah, good luck getting male otaku interested in this franchise. Tell me how that worked out later.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Yeah, good luck getting male otaku interested in this franchise. Tell me how that worked out later.

I think you underestimate the selling power of cute anime girls (and guys). But I'm not looking to make this a contest, that's exhausting and I don't really have a horse in this race. If anything I'll check it out for the heck of it, might as well and who knows I may end up liking the series.

Also I really hope that part of your reasoning for it being "pointless" in your eyes isn't because it simply doesn't appeal to you. That's an oddly common and unfortunate thing that people say "If I don't like then it shouldn't exist". Ah well, people are free to think however they want, I don't really have a horse in that race either.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:38 pm Reply with quote
HoboSoup wrote:

Also I really hope that part of your reasoning for it being "pointless" in your eyes isn't because it simply doesn't appeal to you.

Alright, since that's true, and we do live in a somewhat bitter, arrogant asshole filled world (myself included), let me specify as to why I think it's pointless.
I'm pretty sure they are trying to pull the thing that, like you mentioned before, Im@s Side M did. But both male and female audiences (I'm speaking of Japanese, ergo what matters to them) have their, so to say, triggers.
Now female fandom aside, the male otaku will probably ignore a franchise that already multiple female exclusive seasons, making a version that would appeal to males (probably half heartedly at that) will not change it.
They could have picked a new title, and made the series its own thing, and probably be more successful.
Trademarking it with the "Ameiro Cocoa" franchise was pointless.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
HoboSoup wrote:

Also I really hope that part of your reasoning for it being "pointless" in your eyes isn't because it simply doesn't appeal to you.

Alright, since that's true, and we do live in a somewhat bitter, arrogant asshole filled world (myself included), let me specify as to why I think it's pointless.
I'm pretty sure they are trying to pull the thing that, like you mentioned before, Im@s Side M did. But both male and female audiences (I'm speaking of Japanese, ergo what matters to them) have their, so to say, triggers.
Now female fandom aside, the male otaku will probably ignore a franchise that already multiple female exclusive seasons, making a version that would appeal to males (probably half heartedly at that) will not change it.
They could have picked a new title, and made the series its own thing, and probably be more successful.
Trademarking it with the "Ameiro Cocoa" franchise was pointless.

At least you're honest and open to discussion. Your points in general seem pretty fair in all honesty. I'm just sometimes overly hopeful and sometimes I'm a fool for it, I'm hoping that this new series is fun but for various reasons like the ones you listed I wouldn't be surprised if it as you said, half-hearted. I'll still cling on to that thread of hope and give it a fair chance, but we'll see how it turns out soon enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1