• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nintendo Apologizes for Offensive Native American Caricature, Will Update for Super Smash

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo should not insult Native American in such this kind of matter, Japanese sure knows how to make their video games that are insult to the foreigners. Its mostly because they tend to somewhat Xenophbia, you know what i mean.
Nekelen Tinsley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
These days its kinda hard to care about these situations tbh.

Quote:
Nintendo has stated plans to remove the feather from Mr. Game & Watch.

Does that really change anything; people are already saying its racist depiction right? So wouldn't it still be that but with no feather?
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
These days its kinda hard to care about these situations tbh.

Sure, if you don't have a brain and you're not sensible to other culture at all.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:26 pm Reply with quote
The feather is the only racial signifier from the original game that was carried over. Once the feather is removed, there's nothing to show that the character was supposed to be seen as a American Indian. He just becomes a regular Mr. Game and Watch with a torch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm Reply with quote
...I guess playing cowboys and indians should be punishable by law then, right?
I mean it's not like the game and watch mini game where the cowboy defends his homestead against indians is especially inaccurate either. Those things did happen, it's just exaggerated because it's a video game.

Seriously what is the matter with some people?
It's like 3 frames from one attack.
Nintendo should just leave it in.
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Well shit, I expect they'll also be pulling out Mario for his offensive caricature of Italians right? A shame Nintendo surrendered to the perpetually offended.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Americans seem really touchy on Native stuff. They always either get censored in the west (Bravely Default 2) or have some kind of clickbaity controversy surround them (Julia in Tekken, for example)
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The feather added character imo. I have fond memories of the Game & Watch stuff.

It'd have been better if they'd given him more weapons and cowboy hats and sombreros and other stuff. Adding diversity rather than take it away.

But welp...

Cetais wrote:
Sure, if you don't have a brain and you're not sensible to other culture at all.

'Sensitive'...

But I think it's more a case of Nintendo being afraid of just one particular culture, where roughly half of this culture's occupants have claimed the moral right to be sensitively outraged on behalf of all other cultures on Earth; other cultures who, by and large, generally don't care and, oddly enough, even actually like some stereotypical cartoon depictions of their cultures; such as in the case of Speedy Gonzales and Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:04 pm Reply with quote
BurgerKing-201 wrote:
Well shit, I expect they'll also be pulling out Mario for his offensive caricature of Italians right? A shame Nintendo surrendered to the perpetually offended.

Only certain cultures/races are considered touchy subjects. Italians may have been discriminated against in the past, but just like the Scottish and Irish, they're considered no worse-off than whites are these days so nobody is going to pay attention to any complaints they have about stereotypes or representation.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
Americans seem really touchy on Native stuff. They always either get censored in the west (Bravely Default 2) or have some kind of clickbaity controversy surround them (Julia in Tekken, for example)

Bravely Default 2's change was even stupider when you think about what that one class was originally to what it was changed to. Like, did nobody pick up on that?
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:08 pm Reply with quote
When I first saw this I laughed but seeing Nintendo respond is just, wow. It's like a couple frames of animation. I've seen many people, native american included simply not care and I imagine most people feel the same way. I still don't know what exactly is the problem here and why actual negative stereotypes of others get a free pass.

Quite amazing how something so minor can offend people these days though I imagine the internet only amplifies the faux outrage.

Not surprised that this originated from ResetEra, an echo chamber of the professionally offended and intolerance.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Kaori Makimura wrote:

It's hard to take this question seriously when you're completely glossing over the issue of cultural appropriation and problematic stereotypes.

Chester McCool wrote:

Given how native Americans were the victims of genocide, having land stolen from them, forced to convert to Christianity along with forced to stop speaking their indigenous languages in addition to the above issues of course they are.....yet people still pretend (not you specifically) that none of this was wrong in anyway.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
BurgerKing-201

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:16 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kaori Makimura wrote:

It's hard to take this question seriously when you're completely glossing over the issue of cultural appropriation and problematic stereotypes.

Why do you see fit to get offended on the behalf of others? Cultural appropriation and stereotypes can be a problem but these are literally just three frames of animation referencing an old video game.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:25 pm Reply with quote
BurgerKing-201 wrote:
Why do you see fit to get offended on the behalf of others? Cultural appropriation and stereotypes can be a problem but these are literally just three frames of animation referencing an old video game.

You do know that one of the oldest and common stereotypes among American Indians were that they murdering savages right?

Regardless of how many frames Mr. Game & Watch's attacks were it would still be seen as insensitive to certain groups. If you know there's such a problematic depiction of particular minority groups or cultures why would you even ask such a loaded question?

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
because soon enough. nothing will be safe, and we all will deal with block graphics from the days of atari.. then someone will get salty about squares offending cubans or something stupid and we will lose that as well.

Fun times..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4