• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - A Monster's Holiday featuring Shawne Kleckner

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear physical sales are going well. The split of CR and Funi definitely highlights why physical media is still relevant. I was visiting friends recently, and we usually watch anime together and when picking things to bring along, I realized just how many titles on my shelves quickly went from something that I could stream with my Funi subscription to where I needed to have the discs handy.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Glad to hear about anime sales, especially the collector's editions! I know I usually go for them for shows I love, as long as they aren't giant monstrosities.

In regards to the Utena delay, sure I wanted the set earlier, but given it was a merchandise issue, and not a disc problem, at least I didn't have to worry about the end product of the show itself. The set is really beautiful, and while the delay was annoying, I'm glad to have it.

It was super difficult to pick just a top five this year, even if I was pretty set on my #1 for a while. I don't even normally watch that much anime week to week, but there was so much to enjoy in 2018. Outside of definitely including Devilman Crybaby, Aggretsuko, and A Place Further Than the Universe, there were a ton of toss-ups for a top five. I also enjoyed Dragon Pilot, Violet Evergarden, Attack on Titan, My Hero Academia, Planet With, Wotakoi, Banana Fish (although still need to catch up), SSSS.Gridman, Run With the Wind, Bloom Into You, and Zombie Land Saga.

I feel like I really need to give Thunderbolt Fantasy a chance.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:37 am Reply with quote
I took advantage of the sales.
There were some GREAT deals but I also felt some things looked like they were going out of print, too.

Still disappointed to hear there wasn't a home video release announced yet for Mazinger Z: Infinity in the States.
Being licensed by Viz for theatrical exhibition doesn't mean that same company will do a home video release. They've licensed TV shows and movies they didn't release on physical media.
That's why I was cautioning people about presuming GKids was going to do a home video release of Perfect Blue after the theatrical exhibition even though that was probably an 85% done-deal. GKids hasn't licensed anything to exhibit that it didn't release on disc later although a couple of films were sub-only but that's only maybe 2-3 that I'm aware of...
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:49 am Reply with quote
Star Wars won't be coming out in 4k, not when the Special Editions were finished in 2k, and Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith were native 2k.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
Still disappointed to hear there wasn't a home video release announced yet for Mazinger Z: Infinity in the States.
Being licensed by Viz for theatrical exhibition doesn't mean that same company will do a home video release. They've licensed TV shows and movies they didn't release on physical media.

In this particular case, it's still too early because the Mazinger Z movie's Blu-ray release came out 4 months ago in Japan so there's still the reverse importation fears to deal with along with them dubbing it, which would take more time, and the fact that Viz has been incredibly slow with their anime releases for a couple of years now to the point that people worry that they may start cancelling shows again like they used to in the late 2000s (hasn't happened yet but there had been concerns over stuff like Sailor Moon, Hunter x Hunter '11 and even the Bleach Blu-ray sets).
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm well aware of reverse importation.
I have been collecting for over 20 years.

My concern is that there's been NO ANNOUNCEMENT, period.

I would not be surprised if Viz didn't pick up a home video option.
They've done this before with Reborn! and the Infini-T Force series. Those shows were both streamed on Tubi TV but never had home video releases through Viz nor do I expect will....
Well, we can say for sure in Reborn's case since it was released in its entirety by Discotek.
They didn't bother to dub it, though. The audience for it wasn't that big...

I wouldn't be surprised if Discotek DID pick up Mazinger Z: Infinity in the future but if that's the case it'll probably be another year and there have been plenty of bootlegs of that film sold already...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Just dropping by to say that you guys should go see Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse if you haven't already. I was actually kind of expecting it to be mentioned at some point in the episode.

In regards to the whole BD/DVD thing that gets mentioned a lot. I don't think I've ever heard anymore mention how much better BD subtitles and menus look as a reason to not want to pick up something that is DVD-only. Maybe this is a trivial reason to really be turned away from something that wouldn't benefit at all from a higher resolution, but I'd still rather have anything on BD just for the cleaner subtitles, honestly. DVD subs are trash.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I'm well aware of reverse importation.
I have been collecting for over 20 years.

My concern is that there's been NO ANNOUNCEMENT, period.

I would not be surprised if Viz didn't pick up a home video option.
They've done this before with Reborn! and the Infini-T Force series. Those shows were both streamed on Tubi TV but never had home video releases through Viz nor do I expect will....

*almost two weeks later*

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Mazinger-Z-Infinity-Blu-ray
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Mazinger-Z-Infinity-DVD

In stores February 19th
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1