• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Assassination Classroom - The Movies BD/DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:52 pm Reply with quote
The "worst" anyone can say about these two movies is they are abbreviated versions of the anime's two seasons, but this really is still a solid movie adaptation. If Funimation had provided a dub track I would've upgraded to this over my Australian DVD set and be able to show this to my family. Why they provided one for the Parasyte movies but not for this title makes me curious--what goes into the decision-making process of which live-action properties they dub and leave sub-only?
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote
Here's a thought about Parasyte --

It's really a horror title and those have great crossover appeal.
The original Japanese versions of The Ring and The Grudge had appeal to horror fans as well as the remakes.
Parasyte likely won't get a Hollywood remake but it's still a horror title and those still do fairly well on home video.

I'm mixed on dub tracks.
Generally, for live action, they're NOT very good. For all the complaints about anime dubs, they're still generally cast better and I DO think there are plenty of anime adaptations where there are conscientious efforts to produce a good dub. Dubbing for live-action still hasn't reached that level where I think the quality level has gotten better at least from what I perceive.
I couldn't watch Space Battleship Yamato (live-action) with the dub track. The voices just didn't fit the characters.
On the other hand, the dub track for Cutie Honey (2004) made the live-action film arguably more endurable even though I felt the dub voice for Honey made her more bimboish which the character is not.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I'm mixed on dub tracks.
Generally, for live action, they're NOT very good. For all the complaints about anime dubs, they're still generally cast better and I DO think there are plenty of anime adaptations where there are conscientious efforts to produce a good dub. Dubbing for live-action still hasn't reached that level where I think the quality level has gotten better at least from what I perceive.
I couldn't watch Space Battleship Yamato (live-action) with the dub track. The voices just didn't fit the characters.

I don't normally watch live-action movies dubbed either (except for Shin Godzilla, because that movie has enough text flashing across the screen even without the subtitles), but if there's an English track, I'll check it out at least once. In most cases, that's the only "bonus feature" we ever get with Funimation's live-action movies that otherwise come with bare-bones releases--Space Battleship Yamato is the last title I can think of that came with a slew of actual features. I was disappointed the Attack on Titan movies didn't come with the special features of the Japanese blu-ray, which had a lot of them--but it was still interesting to me that the dub featured the same actors as the anime.
And again, I have family members that are interested in watching the movies I watch, but really can't watch and read subtitles at the same time--hence my disappointment with Assassination Classroom, which would've been a fun one for them. I may prefer the original language as most people do, but I still appreciate the English track if Funimation goes through the trouble with it (especially Shin Godzilla, again)--even if I still don't get why they bother at all if they're so selective on which titles get them or not.

By the way, I Am a Hero was also a horror title, and yet that was still sub-only, as is the upcoming Death Note releases (glad I still have my viz releases).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1