• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rising of the Shield Hero Anime's 1st Dub Episode Delayed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dukeduke3dd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:01 pm Reply with quote
ib4 its all the npcs fault
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Not a complete surprise - Bang Zoom isn't used to doing simuldubs at the rate companies like Funimation (I think the last one they did was Durarara x2, which I believe also went through like, three ADR directors, but I could be confusing that with the first series).

Could be anything from a sound mix/engineering issue, having to recast someone due to future availability, etc... Even Funimation has had a couple delays here and there for different reasons.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
My guess is they need to recast someone and so they want to redub that character's lines in the first episode. If it was some sort of technical issue, you'd think it would have been apparent when they showed the first episode at crunchy expo. But as far as I know that went smoothly and there weren't any reported sound or mixing issues or anything.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
i find it interesting for them to have a simuldub issue now considering that the first episode has long aired before today. Oh well i just hope it turns out well.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Considering the dubbed episode was shown several months ago there are only a few explanations for why the dub would get delayed. After what happened last year with DanMachi Memoria Freese I am curious to see the official explanation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
That is rather curious since the episode is already recorded. I suppose an early recasting and rerecording is possible. In instances where that has happened, it tended to be after multiple episodes were already recorded, so rerecording was saved for the home video version.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Considering the dubbed episode was shown several months ago there are only a few explanations for why the dub would get delayed. After what happened last year with DanMachi Memoria Freese I am curious to see the official explanation.

That was all Crunchyroll, not Bang Zoom.

I don't really know how Bang Zoom dubs are. Funimation tends to... change things and tone some things down in their dubs, but I don't know if Bang Zoom has a history of that.

Hopefully it's just a recasting issue and not them getting cold feet.
Araragifeels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Dubbed script doesn't make any changes. I am hoping that the delay is not because of people who have a specific point of view and made this controversial.

If this is the reason for the delay then I will leave this website because one of ANN staff started to spread bad rep ever since December and I don't support a place who have an agenda and want to change a culture for their own benefit.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

I don't really know how Bang Zoom dubs are. Funimation tends to... change things and tone some things down in their dubs, but I don't know if Bang Zoom has a history of that.

Tone down how?
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:

Tone down how?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's yet another reference to Dragon Maid...
macattack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Chrono1000 wrote:

That was all Crunchyroll, not Bang Zoom.

Hopefully it's just a recasting issue and not them getting cold feet.

Bang Zoom dubs often have the opposite problem, specifically with their Aniplex dubs. They tend to be too faithful to the existing material, resulting in unnatural voices (particularly for teenage girls) and mildly awkward lines much of the time. Kill La Kill was one of the few times Bang Zoom was allowed to cut loose to the extent of a FUNimation dub, and that was likely due to how crazy the material was.

However, these problems tend to be less noticeable with their non-Aniplex work which makes me think that a lot of issue lies with Aniplex having too much control over the dubs they commission from BZ.

Bang Zoom's only done one simuldub to date, the dubbing of Durarara!!'s sequel seasons, which started about eight weeks behind the sub premiere. It was such a disaster
and stress factory that one ADR director (Kirk Thornton) left and his successor (Alex Von David) vowed to never work on one again.

So Shield Hero's delay could actually be Bang Zoom's fault.

It's quite possible that a voice actor became uncomfortable with the material and requested to leave the project and they're dubbing him/her over with a replacement, and if multiple VAs chose to leave, then things are gonna get hairy. However, I consider this less likely than Bang Zoom simply not having enough of a buffer to do a same-week dub for an extended period of time.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Tone down how?

Wouldn't surprise me if it's yet another reference to Dragon Maid...

Nah, I think everyone knows that one by now. Dragonball is a good example though. Lots of Muten Roshi's antics are toned down in the dub, even to this day despite the modern dubs being advertised as uncut, like Kai and Super. For example the dub changed his comment about Yurin's breasts to something unrelated. Or like in the original he'll ask for a "puff puff" but the dub changes it to just him asking for a kiss on the cheek or something. I don't think puff puff has ever been mentioned in the dub ever, now that I think about it, although I haven't seen the entirety of the franchise dubbed so maybe I'm wrong. It seems like they try to remove/tone down him extorting/asking for sexual favors from women whenever they can.

macattack wrote:
Bang Zoom's only done one simuldub to date, the dubbing of Durarara!!'s sequel seasons, which started about eight weeks behind the sub premiere. It was such a disaster
and stress factory that one ADR director (Kirk Thornton) left and his successor (Alex Von David) vowed to never work on one again.

So Shield Hero's delay could actually be Bang Zoom's fault.

It's quite possible that a voice actor became uncomfortable with the material and requested to leave the project and they're dubbing him/her over with a replacement, and if multiple VAs chose to leave, then things are gonna get hairy. However, I consider this less likely than Bang Zoom simply not having enough of a buffer to do a same-week dub for an extended period of time.

That's good to hear. Sounds like it might just be technical issue, and the delay is so there's no gap after the first episode and they can air it consecutively.

Or yeah, the VA thing is another possibility. I've heard of more than a few cases where a dub voice-actor gets pretty upset with the content they have to voice.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Or yeah, the VA thing is another possibility. I've heard of more than a few cases where a dub voice-actor gets pretty upset with the content they have to voice.

That's actually an interesting general issue with simuldubs: Unlike dubbing after the entire series has aired in Japan, simuldubbing something usually means the voice actors won't know the full content of what they'll have to voice for the show.
For something like Shield Hero which is based on novels, it's likely not an issue, but for an original anime I suppose it's a risk.
I'm sure the company gets plot summaries at least for later episodes, but that communication can be a lot more difficult and there's a lot more risk that someone gets suprised by a scene they never realized they'd have to voice, etc.
BlueCatMage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone maybe have an ETA on when the dubb will be available? I was going to watch the dubb with my brother this weekend.
macattack

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:40 am Reply with quote
It's been a week, and this is all we've gotten from the official Shield Hero twitter.

I think we seriously have to consider the possibility something's gone waaaaaaaaaaaay wrong with the dub. It's two weeks behind schedule now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2