• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Tourism Association Updates Booth at Narita Airport with Top 88 Pilgrimage Sites for

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
After looking into a few of these places, there does not seem to be much to some of them apart from being anime locations. While I do have Akihabara and Shirakawago on my list, I am visiting for the Rugby World Cup, so in this case my interest in anime takes a backseat to my love of sport.

Also, kudos to those with the energy to see this area in the airport after a lengthy flight, I would want a sneaky pint then go straight to bed.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Some anime have more site specific locations, like a particular store, temple and whatnot. It's more specific than a particular ward in a city.

For example, as a Cardcaptor Sakura fan, the temple near Tokyo Tower, Zojo-ji, is where the capture of the final Clow Card and Sakura's Final Judgement occurred. I've also visited other shrines featured in anime, such as Rei's Hikawa Shrine in Tokyo.

Fun fact - The Pokémon Go entry for Hikawa Shrine mentions that it was featured in Sailor Moon.

Shirakawa-go is a difficult location to get to. If you really want to visit the UNESCO site, do so, but if you just want to see some original old Japanese homes, you can do the same in Takayama at the Hida no Sato. I've visited Hida no Sato a couple times as well and it's very well kept.
tsog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:

Also, kudos to those with the energy to see this area in the airport after a lengthy flight, I would want a sneaky pint then go straight to bed.

It's not that bad. The anime booth area is literally right above the arrival lobby; I went to it as I walked around trying to find Bic Camera to buy a SIM card.

One thing to note is that the gacha machines stop working after 6PM or so; they turn off the power to the machines after then.
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 am Reply with quote
Not much actual English content on the Anime Tourism Association web site:

https://animetourism88.com/en

Using Google translate is alright, but slows things down.
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Not much actual English content on the Anime Tourism Association web site:

https://animetourism88.com/en

Using Google translate is alright, but slows things down.

Perhaps one of these days an American company (maybe an anime distributor?) will create an English-language website for American tourists, and a mobile app would be even better.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure where I originally saw it, but I looked through something like this when I was planning my 2019 Spring trip last year. I eventually decided that it didn't make much sense for us to go out of our way to see most of these spots just because an anime happened to take place there, unless there were other interesting things to do/see, but there are a few places that I wish we could've made it out to, like Minobu, for several reasons, including my love of camping, my love of Yurucamp, and my love of Japanese rural life and architecture, in general. Thankfully, we will be spending some time in other rural areas.
As fate would have it though, we happen to be staying in Taito for a week while in Tokyo. So I'll be sure to get my traveling partner to watch that series before we leave, so we can visit the zoo and local areas when we have some free time. Very Happy
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:23 am Reply with quote
As a postscript, I usually find the anime connections after I arrive at a location (e.g. Tomakomai, Hokkaido and Erased / Boku Dake ga inai Machi:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1