• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Promised Neverland (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:19 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - (The) Promised Neverland (TV)
Season 2 - (The) Promised Neverland (TV 2) (discussion starts here)

Genres: horror, mystery, sci-fi

Plot Summary: Emma, Norman and Ray are the brightest kids at the Grace Field House orphanage. And under the care of the woman they refer to as “Mom,” all the kids have enjoyed a comfortable life. Good food, clean clothes and the perfect environment to learn. One day, though, Emma and Norman uncover the dark truth of the outside world they are forbidden from seeing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
empeiros

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:01 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for this series to come out. I picked up the manga last week, kind of reluctantly and curiously and read the entire 117 chapters in one sitting. I ended up sleeping at 5 in the morning because it was so good. I'm so glad TPN will be an anime. If done, it will definitely be among the top anime of 2019.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Ooh that opening song is gorgeous. I love it! The animation quality looks good and the first half introduced a good amount of characters. The way they protrayed the innocence of the children like Conny made this even more thrilling to watch.

Loved the soundtrack/OST too. We got the appearance of the demons and a cliffhanger. I'm ready for a wicked ride this season even if it's just a 1-cour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
Little girl says that she wishes to be a mother in the future and will send letters to the other children, in an anime which has an odd eerie feeling and children go to never be heard from again. Yeah, she is totally going to die. At least seeing that ahead of time was enough to soften the blow of seeing the proof. Would not have guessed straight away that they were all livestock on a farm, but the pieces fitted.

A conflict with wanting all of these kids to get away to safety and stuff, but also that if this show is to follow through on its premise it can't hold itself back too much.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
I like this one a lot. Great animation, and great storytelling.

What I liked the most is how until the killing of connie was discovered, the atmostphere was not particularly menacing. It was obvious that something was wrong with the whole situation, but, it wasn't hamfisted about making you feel that.

The one question that's getting me most here is why are they being educated if they're only going to be killed and eaten? There must be more than meets the eye in some way.

Biggest disappointment is hearing that the manga is not finished. I don't read manga so I'm kind of getting tired of only getting incomplete stories. Hopefully they'll make an anime-original ending or something.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Who knows maybe not all children are meant to be meat. There are numerous other scary options to make children er... useful. And the happy upbringing makes the children less likely to revolt. No need for high fences.

Anyway, will follow this series.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I assumed that the monsters might be able to tell a difference of taste on how educated a child may be, that they taste better, or the naturally smarter kids taste better, they were tests in the sense of taste. This is based on the line where one of the monsters said that they had only been harvesting lower grade for a while, but had decided to get some higher class stuff, thus deciding that the kids who did really well on the tests should be next.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Biggest disappointment is hearing that the manga is not finished. I don't read manga so I'm kind of getting tired of only getting incomplete stories. Hopefully they'll make an anime-original ending or something.

This is Weekly Shounen Jump's big rising star, so an anime-original ending is unlikely. Considering how popular the series is, I'd say that there's a pretty good chance that the whole manga will eventually be adapted in multiple seasons. (Jump seems to be moving to the seasons-with-breaks model lately, instead of endless anime adaptations padded out with filler.)
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I assumed that the monsters might be able to tell a difference of taste on how educated a child may be, that they taste better, or the naturally smarter kids taste better, they were tests in the sense of taste. This is based on the line where one of the monsters said that they had only been harvesting lower grade for a while, but had decided to get some higher class stuff, thus deciding that the kids who did really well on the tests should be next.

I interpreted the 'grade' to be about age, like how big crabs are more expensive for example, but you may well be right.

Darkmagick wrote:
Galap wrote:

This is Weekly Shounen Jump's big rising star, so an anime-original ending is unlikely. Considering how popular the series is, I'd say that there's a pretty good chance that the whole manga will eventually be adapted in multiple seasons. (Jump seems to be moving to the seasons-with-breaks model lately, instead of endless anime adaptations padded out with filler.)

That would be really nice to see! I really hope it goes down that route.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Darkmagick wrote:
Galap wrote:

That would be really nice to see! I really hope it goes down that route.

I think this is likely. There's also easily enough manga material written right now for a full three 1-cour seasons (or one 1-cour and one 2-tour, which I think might be a better way to break it down). So it will be a while even before they'll have to worry about catching up to the manga.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:44 am Reply with quote
Ep 2:

Yeah, still really enjoying this. Lot of things to think about here.

Got to say, I fully agree with Ray here. The effort of convincing all the others to go, and enacting this is too risky and great, and they will largely be a liability. They don't know anything about the outside world, or what lies there. What they have to do is get out, do some information-gathering about the terrain and larger world, gain some power, and then come back for the others.

The other issue is that it doesn't seem possible that any escape will go unnoticed. The big question is whether the demons would really care that several children escaped, at least to the extent that the'yd expend significant effort into locating them. In our world, most farmers would look for escaped livestock but eventually give up. Whether or not humanity will be able to overthrow the demons anytime soon depends on some conditions that we don't yet know (i.e. what is the human population? the demon population? Do any human societies still exist? Can humans anatomically/physically wield demon-made weapons? etc.)

The addition of the second 'mother' really complicates things. With just one, they could have overpowered her and made her divulge all relevant information. Three against two when the two have a large size advantage is a lot harder, especially since they know to suspect something, and likely won't separate in a way that they can take one of them out and then focus on the other. Maybe somehow catch both of them? but what to do? snare? pitfall trap? bow and arrow attack?

Also, it's pretty likely that the 'moms' are an enemy, but it's not completely clear to me that they're not just acting as they are because they will be killed if they defy the demons, and could potentially be turned to the kids side if they thought they could survive doing so. Since 'Mom' hugged Connie's drawing in ep. 1, even when no one was watching, it does seem that she has genuine affection for the kids.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
Having the whole lot escape does sound like a crazy idea, and the addition of a lot of risk on top of what they want to do. Although there is perhaps the side that cheapening the lives of all the children would be like giving up a bit of their own humanity. Not really based on any evidence, but perhaps we will find out that the mothers could see themselves as saving the lives of more humans with the sacrifice of the kids on this farm, and there would be this irony that abandoning some would make the kids just as bad. We have not really seen yet what the motives of these women are, sure they look scary when they drop some kind of mask, but don't know yet if they are simply selfishly looking out for themselves, and if that would be greed or fear.

I imagine scenarios where the full optimistic view might be the greatest weapon. Or it is going to get grim and more kids will die for taking on too much. Which on that, it seemed like their best chance was going to be to kill the mother, if she is the only one watching over them, but with two it was made all the more harder.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

God, the Krone is terrifying. For some reason she makes me think of horror movies. Like the grandmother from The Visit, a Shyamalan movie where two kids are with what seems at first like perfectly friendly, before things get really creepy, in particular it even has this one hide and seek scene that kind of matches what it felt like in this episode of an adult creepily setting foot in a children's game. The other movie I had come to mind was Get Out, which I really hope is not some sort of racist thing in me, but the running scene was a particularly creepy part that come into my mind, more of the fact it is this sort of eery thing where both running clearly have a really good running form that just does not match things like their attire and role. Clearly neither of those movies are being purposely invoked, but I think there is a little bit of same kind of horror that plays on something not feeling right.

In addition to Krone's also terrifying monologue to herself in her room where she talks to a raggy baby doll, and somewhat goes from the extreme of treating it like a child like she has maternal instincts, to flinging it around in a way that would terrify if that is what that sort of thing is for her. It is a more overt kind of fear that she invokes in comparison, but the mother also has her own kind, which does kind of fit into this idea of a child where a mother could know all, there is no hope of hiding it even if you think you are, and can act in an indirect manner that you might not be able to see coming.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The year if the calendar is correct shows Oct 2045 in the back ground of the anime. The children stated they get shipped at age 12 no matter what. The brain development may be the factor with the scores in testing. The slower children get shipped at a early age equaling lower quality product. The ears are tagged at birth. There must be a place to obtain new stock so humans outside still exist! The policy of if found out ship product immediately seems to Imply a reason for external worry or pressure. The concrete wall surrounding the farm shows secondary containment for live stock. The forced daily testing for brain development and growth. The large yard for that free range stock quality. The over sight blending in as a support figure shows planning and cunning. This world has created so many questions it’s mind blowing! [/spoiler]
Gokuu16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:49 am Reply with quote
Absolutely love this show, hope to see it finished and understand the whole story!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3