• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Administrators for 'Haruka Yume no Ato' Manga Linking Site Found Guilty

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xaelcry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:44 am Reply with quote
640million is abit too much for manga No?
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:59 am Reply with quote
yup in theoretical dollars.. or yen in this instance.

So jail time for hosting a site with hyperlinks? 3 years in jail doesn't balance the books with something that is quoted in article as not being illegal.

Quote:
While the site itself was not illegal under the current law, the operators were arrested for distributing the pirated media for which the site provided links.
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Yet the pedophile Nobuhiro Watsuki only got a fine for hundreds of videos he possessed...
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:
Yet the pedophile Nobuhiro Watsuki only got a fine for hundreds of videos he possessed...

The sites actually hurt the sales of those companies according to the police, so the administrators caused millions of dollars of financial damage to others. Watsuki didn't touch or hurt anyone. I'm not trying to defend him, of course it's still a crime and he got punished for it, but the scale of damage was entirely different and so was the punishment. To me it seems just logical.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The sites actually hurt the sales of those companies according to the police, so the administrators caused millions of dollars of financial damage to others.

Again Theoretical dollars.. the argument made here is assuming that everyone viewing pirated content would pay to see the content legally if they had no choice. While some would.. realistically most would not.

As for the seriousness of a crime.. posting links to content, and not hosting the content is like telling someone hey I know where you can get (insert content here). And while Morally wrong.. its not illegal to do so. Take this article at face value and the Police over stepped, shutting down a site is 1 thing, but jailing for a non crime is another.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Quote:

The sites actually hurt the sales of those companies according to the police, so the administrators caused millions of dollars of financial damage to others.

Again Theoretical dollars.. the argument made here is assuming that everyone viewing pirated content would pay to see the content legally if they had no choice. While some would.. realistically most would not.

As for the seriousness of a crime.. posting links to content, and not hosting the content is like telling someone hey I know where you can get (insert content here). And while Morally wrong.. its not illegal to do so. Take this article at face value and the Police over stepped, shutting down a site is 1 thing, but jailing for a non crime is another.

Knowingly abetting a crime is also a crime. If there's a house in my neighborhood, the folks who live there are away on vacation, and I want to clean them out but don't have a truck and you do...If I borrow it and you know why I am doing it you are committing a crime. Not a "moral wrong". A crime. If you tell me that you won't lend me your truck but then don't rat me out to the cops even after I have robbed the place, then you are committing a moral wrong. See the difference?
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Pirate in Japan may be big, but the issues with these piracy on this site is still rampant and what we will do when pirated stuff in Japan bans everything for an foreingers, it would be an big trouble.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:36 pm Reply with quote
That's a thing I'm kinda not getting myself...in Japan, while it is illegal to show pirated links to manga websites, but it's legal to produce/sell doujinshi based off of anime (dunno if it's legal in the US or not), as it can help gain interest in a series and I've heard there are advertising publishers that advertise it to help gain a bit of money for the original creators and can help attract new fans to the series? Confused

And like what some commenters said, Nobuhiro Watsuki's punishment was far, far too light (thanks to him I've no interest in checking out Ruroni Kenshin). If he were in the US his career would be over, they treat pedos the same way Japan treats people who take drugs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1