• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Daimaru Shinsaibashi Department Store Holds Exhibit for 'Nostalgic' Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I really wish I could go there for the exhibit. I love looking at cels and other original manga/anime artwork. I'm hoping they do a better job of displaying the original artwork than some of the other exhibits I've visited have done by displaying them under very bright lights. Cels are particularly susceptible to deterioration by doing that, even if they're behind UV protected glass.

Quote:
However, be prepared to dig deep into your cash reserves - a cel of Mei playing on Totoro's stomach is priced at 2.7 million yen (US$24,972).

While Totoro cels prices have always been high, once Mainland China started getting into the cel buying craze a few years ago, they've only rocketed up more in price. It used to be that $25K would buy you a full Totoro set-up (key cel/matching original background/layout/key douga). The last one I saw sell on Mandarake was around $50K.
grooven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
That would be an awesome experience! I did go to one exhibit that was Ghibli backgrounds in 2008 which was a fantastic experience.
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

Quote:
However, be prepared to dig deep into your cash reserves - a cel of Mei playing on Totoro's stomach is priced at 2.7 million yen (US$24,972).

While Totoro cels prices have always been high[...]

It depends where and when they were avaiable. A friend of mine ordered two Totoro cels for me from Animeigo, back in 1994/95. One cel shows Mei picking up an acorn in granny's house, another depicts Satsuki holding a telegram and looking worried at it. They were cheap, around 30-60$.

For some odd reason Animeigo sold Cels from Totoro, Kiki and Porco Rosso, without any backgrounds, with prices starting from 30$ all the way up to 100-150$, IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
It depends where and when they were avaiable. A friend of mine ordered two Totoro cels for me from Animeigo, back in 1994/95. One cel shows Mei picking up an acorn in granny's house, another depicts Satsuki holding a telegram and looking worried at it. They were cheap, around 30-60$.

For some odd reason Animeigo sold Cels from Totoro, Kiki and Porco Rosso, without any backgrounds, with prices starting from 30$ all the way up to 100-150$, IIRC.

With Totoro, the cels that sell for stupid amounts are the ones with Totoro on them. I haven't seen Ghibli cel collectors gravitate much to the humans in the movie unless they're interacting with Totoro and friends. So, it's sort of apples and oranges here. Yes, you were able to buy Totoro cels in the 1990s for $30-$60, but what you were buying were the cels that were not in demand from the movie. Additionally, in the 1990s, $30-$60 was high for cels that were sold for a couple hundred yen inside bins at stores like Mandarake.
Jadeduo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Bunny is right, cels have a tendency to fluctuate. However there are very FEW shows still being sold in that $30-60 range. Because cels are no longer used and most cels you can get will now only come available through the sale of private collections. Prices overall increased, the most affected being Evangelion, Card Captor Sakura, Dragonball Z, and ANYTHING by Miyazaki. It’s rare to see anything Miyazaki go for less than $200, even the bargain bin pieces.
Swissman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I just had to bump this up because I missed the response. Sorry, no intend of necroposting here.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Swissman wrote:

With Totoro, the cels that sell for stupid amounts are the ones with Totoro on them. I haven't seen Ghibli cel collectors gravitate much to the humans in the movie unless they're interacting with Totoro and friends. So, it's sort of apples and oranges here. Yes, you were able to buy Totoro cels in the 1990s for $30-$60, but what you were buying were the cels that were not in demand from the movie. Additionally, in the 1990s, $30-$60 was high for cels that were sold for a couple hundred yen inside bins at stores like Mandarake.

I agree, you're probably right about the less higher demand back then for cels with only the human characters on them. However, I have never seen any Ghibli movie cels inside the "cheap cels bins" of stores like Mandarake or Cel-Stars, and I have visited quite a few of them over the years. You could find some pretty good cels from well-known TV shows or OVAs back in the late nineties and early 2000s, but not from a Ghibli movie afaik. I've seen those only behind glass, if at all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1