• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nikkei Newspaper: Nintendo to Offer Smaller Switch Console

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:07 am Reply with quote
I'd rather they release a smaller cheaper version over a better one since I can enjoy mine without knowing I bought it too early.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:08 am Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
I'd rather they release a smaller cheaper version over a better one since I can enjoy mine without knowing I bought it too early.

Agreed. You don’t feel nearly as jipped.
-SP-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:25 am Reply with quote
The current switch has some bad specs. If this one has reduced features, I wonder how much worse it's going to be.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:32 am Reply with quote
My personal prediction is that it'll be smaller and the joycons will be unremoveable. They might also remove the video out capability just so the larger Switch is still appealing, even though there's no hardware benefit to doing so.
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
I would like a switch XL
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:24 am Reply with quote
I have been hoping that they would release a home console only version at a cheaper price. Now it seems I will have to wait until the next gen Nintendo console.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I have been hoping that they would release a home console only version at a cheaper price. Now it seems I will have to wait until the next gen Nintendo console.

Given the trajectory Nintendo has taken in essentially merging both handheld and console with the Switch aand how crazy successful it has been (32 million+ worldwide so far), I really don't see them straying from that path at all even towards the next generation.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:48 am Reply with quote
A handheld only Switch could fill the void that the PS Vita left. I was skeptical of the rumors at first, but seeing that this year a new Pokémon and Animal Crossing are coming it makes sense that Nintendo are considering a cheaper model for young gamers. The main problem this could bring is that some games that are designed with Joy-Con functionality in mind (1-2 Switch and Super Mario Party) will become unplayable in a smaller model, maybe the game boxes could have a warning saying that the game is only compatible with the regular model, like the Game Boy Color exclusive games.
I'm interested in how they would name it though. Mini Switch, Light Switch, Switch Jr.?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:37 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Given the trajectory Nintendo has taken in essentially merging both handheld and console with the Switch aand how crazy successful it has been (32 million+ worldwide so far), I really don't see them straying from that path at all even towards the next generation.
Nintendo did try doing the Wii again with the Wii U, they may not try to do the Switch again next gen. But if they do decide to go that way again, I may just bite the bullet and get the Switch 2.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
This new mini one is going to be look pretty nice, but i wonder it will good compatibile with original console model?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
My personal prediction is that it'll be smaller and the joycons will be unremoveable.

That could run into issues with them though since Super Mario Party requires the joycons to be used and I'm sure other games do so as well (haven't played it yet but I assume Arms requires them to be used). Unknowing consumers wouldn't be happy about that.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:43 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

That makes no sense because theres the PS4 and X1 to compete directly. If they went that way Nintendo might as well be dead by now or barely alive
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
Hope this happens. A cheaper handheld Switch may be my only chance of getting the console.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Isn't the Nintendo Switch small enough already?
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo had to revise their sales targets down from 20 to 17 million. So across the board, both 3DS and Switch Sales were down, the 3DS down significantly naturally.

Nintendo likely has an issue making the current Switch cheaper, so a smaller one makes some sense, otherwise it'd just make sense to drop the price, but it seems they can't do that.

Vanadise wrote:
My personal prediction is that it'll be smaller and the joycons will be unremoveable. They might also remove the video out capability just so the larger Switch is still appealing, even though there's no hardware benefit to doing so.

This part is doubtful. I believe several games are unplayable without the joycons, and it'll also take out the feature where a lot of games have 2-player built in with each Joycon.

I could see the TV-out going away. But then, what about the name brand - Switch - which suggests you can do both portable and TV?

Possibly they might sell you a separate component to allow for TV out, but I doubt that'll be absent. Possibly they might eliminate the dock and just allow you to plug an HDMI cable directly in. A less elegant way of displaying the thing, but I don't think people will care.

Most likely a smaller screen size and smaller manufacturing size of the components and elimination of the dock will cut down on costs, which means a cheaper Switch, which will help keep sales going.

I could see a kind of clamp shell design and a cheaper look. Basically just have something foldable over the screen that turned backwards from the top also acts as a stand.

So I think that the Joycons will remain along with the TV-out.

As for how the battery will hold out? I don't know. But I can see a new more efficient LCD screen being used as some earlier WSJ rumors suggested.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2