• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Winter 2019, Jan 22-28

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I saw that Jojo's episode reach an average score of 5 stars at some point. First time I've ever seen that. Guess I should get back on the train, I stopped at the recap episode.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Whew that Index drop. People here really don't like the AC-without-Touma stories huh.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:48 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:
I saw that Jojo's episode reach an average score of 5 stars at some point. First time I've ever seen that. Guess I should get back on the train, I stopped at the recap episode.

Reaching an average of 5 stars at some point isn’t uncommon, especially early (as the first person to rate an episode could give it a 5), but keeping a 4.9 is, as last week’s episode did. Land of the Lustrous’ Antarctite episode and the All Might vs All For One episode of MHA are the only ones that kept it. The second to last episode of Haikyu’s third season kept it for over a week, past when the weekly rankings for that week came out, but went down to 4.8 shortly after that.

I would recommend catching up on Jojo 5 though.
#DMaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Whew that Index drop. People here really don't like the AC-without-Touma stories huh.

IKR. But I still have hope that "They won't let it End in tragedy". Hopefully we will have new op next week and get better scores.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:46 pm Reply with quote
One Piece 870 was an amazing benchmark for the anime, and I'm happy that others on ANN agree.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:14 am Reply with quote
Just a quick question. Why didn't Mob Phycho start at episode 13 in the counting? It's the same as with Thunderbolt last season, where I actually was fooled into believing it was a brand new show, even after watching the first couple of episodes (and putting a "II" after 100 makes it look weird).

This inconsistency is illustrated with Fairy Tail's "Final Season" that continued from "Season 2" and "Season 1", and didn't get reset. Mob Phycho, Sword Art, (Magical Index, Morose (didn't watch these, so I can't comment)) all reset the count and instead put a "II" or "III" after it.

In Buroto's case ANN also started over, but this one I would agree with as it isn't a "true sequel", just a story in a parallel universe with different characters during a different time.

There are plenty of series with numbers in their names (such as mob physcho 100). Is there any specific rules as for when a series reset their counting number to 1? For the most part I'd assume the general rule should be that if the story continues from where it left off, then you would also continue the count of episodes from that point? For the exception I'd personally put it as when they change the main characters, (that the story follows), but even that can get tricky (as shown in Game of Thrones, where they often have killed of "the entire main cast", but the following season is still clearly "Season 4 of Game of Thrones").

I might be nitpicking a bit, but seeing "The Morose Mononokean II" doesn't immediately tell me if this is a series that rely on previous elements, or if the show is simply called "The Morose Mononokean the 2nd" where the "II" is part of the name. Also, naming shows like "D.C.II S.S.: Da Capo II Second Season" https://myanimelist.net/anime/3627/DCII_SS__Da_Capo_II_Second_Season would become pretty difficult for you if you use that trend. Then you have series like the Megadimension Neptunia VRII, which is actually "season 4". Would you then have called it Neptunia VR II IIII? It's also the question of "when does 1 season start and the next begin"? If you only continue the count then you don't have to worry about that.

Yes, I do have too much free time on my hands.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
I think they number the episodes based on how the streaming service(s) number them. All of the ones you mentioned match CR’s episode numbers.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
S0crates wrote:

Just in time to get on the actual train.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1