• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Boruto's Ikemoto: 'I Hope to Complete Story Within 30 Volumes'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddy564

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:32 am Reply with quote
The way the story is heating up in the manga I’m glad that there’s going to be no rush to a conclusion. I actually thought the series was in endgame once Kawaki was introduced but it seems like it’ll be a multi-tiered final arc. Plus they obviously still have to do the timeskip at some point.

Ikemoto’s art keeps on getting better and the story is taking an interesting route so as of now I don’t mind this at all. And the monthly pace, while excruciating at times, will ensure we get the material in healthy doses.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:24 am Reply with quote
Very awesome to hear since it's a monthly series that means it will run at least as long as Naruto did and we're still very early in the story overall.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:28 am Reply with quote
Huh now I can’t help but wonder how they’ll continue things after Boruto is over.

I’m curious how far they’ll take this.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
First of all Jesus Christ, has SJ got no shame for the legacy of Naruto? The first 50-ish volumes are legit good, mostly. Urgh.
Let´s forget the super-deformed stuff. Scarlet Spring is essentially Vol. 73 and the 2 dozen+ LN mid-quels still go on with no end in sight. The plan of under 100 canon volumes already can´t work with "just" 30 other volumes on top. We may have already passe 100+ canon releases last year.

And to think that the anime still has to adapt any of the manga´s original content!?! Dragon Ball GT starts to look like a tightly run operation after all these decades if i look how creatively bankrupt and convoluted DBS and Boruto turned out. DB at least got the shockingly solid Broly remake film. Yet Naruto goes from miss to miss since Kishimoto walked away to be a family man. Good for him though, epically as he managed to give the manga a weirdly good and conclusive ending. These types of manga never get those.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ballinamon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Man, are you for real?
Ziko577

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:50 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
First of all Jesus Christ, has SJ got no shame for the legacy of Naruto? The first 50-ish volumes are legit good, mostly. Urgh.
Let´s forget the super-deformed stuff. Scarlet Spring is essentially Vol. 73 and the 2 dozen+ LN mid-quels still go on with no end in sight. The plan of under 100 canon volumes already can´t work with "just" 30 other volumes on top. We may have already passe 100+ canon releases last year.

And to think that the anime still has to adapt any of the manga´s original content!?! Dragon Ball GT starts to look like a tightly run operation after all these decades if i look how creatively bankrupt and convoluted DBS and Boruto turned out. DB at least got the shockingly solid Broly remake film. Yet Naruto goes from miss to miss since Kishimoto walked away to be a family man. Good for him though, epically as he managed to give the manga a weirdly good and conclusive ending. These types of manga never get those.

I agree. I'm beginning to hate Naruto because it feels like SJ doesn't give a damn as much as Kishimoto did. They're dragging it's legacy through the mud and Boruto being slow as it is manga wise isn't helping. This series should be weekly and not monthly like everything else in the book.
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:53 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Shonen Jump has nothing to do with this, this is on Shueisha and Pierrot. Also, DBGT? You talking about the show about Goku turning back to a kid and reusing villains and arcs? In super, they try new things and open up the world. Be glad they did go with the comic book route, reboot Naruto
HeWhoSlapsAll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Ziko577 wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I agree. I'm beginning to hate Naruto because it feels like SJ doesn't give a damn as much as Kishimoto did. They're dragging it's legacy through the mud and Boruto being slow as it is manga wise isn't helping. This series should be weekly and not monthly like everything else in the book.

The series being monthly allows for better planning and writing. It also allows the mangaka to live a healthy life.

Very much enjoying how Boruto is progressing since it got away from adapting Kishimoto's start.
KhalilAlstonCobb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Very awesome to hear since it's a monthly series that means it will run at least as long as Naruto did and we're still very early in the story overall.

Nah, not really. At 4 chapters a volume, 30 volumes is about 120 chapters. Theoretically there's 4 chapters worth of Naruto in one of Boruto, so that'd bring the total to about 480. Naruto had 700 Crying or Very sad . I hope he keeps going past 30 though!
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying the anime. The character writing is more solid than Naruto (it helps that the character conflicts are more relatable. "Strained relationship with workaholic dad" is easier to write than "my brother killed my whole clan in front of me" or "nobody raised me and the whole village ostracized me because of my secret, internal Weapon of Mass Destruction that even I am unaware exists")

I'm not up-to-date with the manga, but what I read was pretty good. I don't mind if the story takes it's time!
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:07 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

When a series become popular enough, at times the rights holders may disregard continuity just want to keep milking the franchise.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:24 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:

Calm down. First of all, you do realize that Naruto is like top 3-4 most sold manga of all time right, and at least top 5 most popular (arguably the most popular at times) in the world right? Whether you like it or not, it always gonna get milked (and to a large degree at that).

And the light novels don't count as manga volumes, so only the scarlet spring volume would count. And if they did count, you should be happy if anything, cause he's saying within 30 volumes, not that he wants it to be at least or around 30 volumes. It could end up being 10 volumes for all we know.

And in all fairness to the anime, the first 11 chapters of the Boruto manga was the Boruto movie, so they did technically cover a fair chunk of it.

As for DBGT to DBS and Boruto, all I will say is we all have our own opinions, but DBGT was only ever one medium with little involvement from Toriyama, so it was easier. With the other two, they have ongoing manga they need to keep in mind, so they need filler. Not to mention the original mangaka are involved, which also makes for a slower process.

And yes, DBS did eventually get some decent stuff with the Broly movie (and arguably prior to that when the anime was finally done with adapting BOG & ROF), and I'm sure Boruto eventually will too, once the anime starts adapting original material from the manga.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Okay I only saw this headline in the forums and without the context of the article I thought this was announcement for a new original LN written by Ikemoto that was literally called I Hope to Complete Story Within 30 Volumes and just thought it was a really meta title. Embarassed
Enturax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

Shonen Jump has nothing to do with this, this is on Shueisha and Pierrot. Also, DBGT? You talking about the show about Goku turning back to a kid and reusing villains and arcs? In super, they try new things and open up the world.

Like copy and pasting Trunks arc? Like making another Goku villain? Like making another tournament arcs? Like copying multiverse idea from the fan manga, while making it much more boring and less serious at the same time because the characters are so 1-dimensional and overly cartoonish both in design and their personalities?
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The topic is Boruto, not DB. Let's reel it in please.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1