• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maquia DVDs Incorrectly List Japanese Language Track

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueOla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be that person but the Japanese voice track is not a "dub" - it's the original voice track. Dubbing by definition involves translation into a different language and that doesn't happen for the original Japanese voice track.

Sorry to be so pedantic but the misuse of the term should be avoided as much as possible.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess having two DVDs was too costly...

Knowing now that the licensors required it, let's hope Right Stuf can provide something still better than Shout's BD release...
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:17 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:
I hate to be that person but the Japanese voice track is not a "dub" - it's the original voice track. Dubbing by definition involves translation into a different language and that doesn't happen for the original Japanese voice track.

Sorry to be so pedantic but the misuse of the term should be avoided as much as possible.

While that's how it's used in the fandom, 'dubbing' is basically just ADR. Technically all animation is dubbed.
Mattman243

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Must have subtitles hard coded? What kind of requirement is that?!? Did we go back to VHS?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:

Dubbing is the process of adding the language track after the finished product and not the process of translating, which would be an adaptation, so the Japanese version is a dub as they do voice recording after the production is done. This is disappointing news after how it seemed like Maquia struggled to get any mainstream attention in the US and I hope this won't lead to lower home video sales.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
cutslo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:20 pm Reply with quote
BlueOla wrote:

By definition, "dubbing" is the process of mixing any audio over existing footage, such as putting voices onto some animation (which comes without sound). If you're not feeling pedantic you can also use the popular but inaccurate meaning of limiting that to translated voice tracks.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
It's surprising these days to get a release this badly crippled by licensing requirements.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Mattman243 wrote:
Must have subtitles hard coded? What kind of requirement is that?!? Did we go back to VHS?

This is pretty common actually it's an attempted deterrent to "reverse importers" in Japan who might have tried to buy a cheaper US release than the likely more expensive Japanese one.
BreathoftheWater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Meh... Who cares? Nobody buys DVDs anymore.
Mattman243

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:

This is pretty common actually it's an attempted deterrent to "reverse importers" in Japan who might have tried to buy a cheaper US release than the likely more expensive Japanese one.

Oh wow, I didn't know that! Crazy.
Takizawa-Shinzou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:20 pm Reply with quote
"incorrectly list", you mean false advertised? They have to refund/fix the issue or it's a big legal issue.

But really, companies should just stop releasing DVD. It's 2019. Blu-ray players are $20. Everyone has one and there's no legit reason for people to complain about blu-ray-only releases. Save money and release everything ONLY on blu-ray.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't tell... I only watch the dub Cool
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Having bought the DVD version of this due to being cheaper, I have to wonder why the licensors made this kind of requirement. Unlike Blu-Ray, Japan and America have different region codes for the DVD format thus there wouldn't be a concern for reverse importing compared to Blu-Ray. I certainly recall Japanese companies were paranoid about it with Blu-Ray earlier in the decade as some anime titles either had delayed Blu-Ray releases or lacked Japanese audio as a condition for releasing a series on Blu-Ray. But DVD? Only reason I could think of is an attempt to boost sales of the Blu-Ray/DVD combo sets for those wanting the Japanese audio track of the film.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Huh. That's odd. I wonder why the DVD version doesn't have the Japanese track. Was it an error of some sort? I guess buying the Blu-Ray was a good move on my part. I hope this issue gets resolved.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Huh. That's odd. I wonder why the DVD version doesn't have the Japanese track. Was it an error of some sort?

The article explains the reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3