• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Love is a Garbage Fire in Kaguya-sama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Anybody here ever read ib: Instant Bullet? I know it's a very different kind of manga, but I'm curious about how well it holds up next to Akasaka's more famous current work.
Kami-koto

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Anybody here ever read ib: Instant Bullet? I know it's a very different kind of manga, but I'm curious about how well it holds up next to Akasaka's more famous current work.

It's very different. I really like ib and think it's a shame it got axed. It is quite edgy I guess, as expected of a story the author started creating in his teenage years, but its plot and characters were quite fascinating. It's difficult to recommend a manga that got axed and didn't reach a satisfying conclusion, but ib is what made me follow Akasaka's works.
meruru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

I have. It's a completely different genre from Kaguya-sama, a dark, serious take on what if kids got super powers. My impression was that it wasn't bad, but it was so packed with ideas it feels kind of overstuffed. Kaguya-sama is much better, with a strong, simple driving concept that really plays to the author's strengths.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't call Kaguya-Sama garbage, but I did find it really annoying. Enough to drop it.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:04 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I wouldn't call Kaguya-Sama garbage, but I did find it really annoying. Enough to drop it.

Way to give away the fact that you only read the headline and nothing else lol.

Anyway as for me, Kaguya-sama is easily my AOTS. The characters are such hilariously exaggerated caricatures and yet the emotions they show on the surface and the ones they keep hidden just feel so believable. The storyboarding and directing is incredibly impressive, even if the actual animation occasionally struggles to keep up. It's something I so look forward to every week for no other purpose than the pure and innocent glee it gives me.

And I'm glad it only took three episodes for the show to spawn what will possibly be one of the biggest anime memes of the year.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:31 am Reply with quote
The direction is superb.

On top of that the source material is hilarious. I've been reading the manga and it consistently has me laughing out loud.

...And while Chika in the manga is great, Chika animated is delightful.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:13 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Except I did read it, and took it as sarcasm. Kudos to anyone who can actually tolerate these insufferable two characters from the show to find it funny.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:20 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Except I did read it, and took it as sarcasm. Kudos to anyone who can actually tolerate these insufferable two characters from the show to find it funny.

How could you take it as sarcasm when it so clearly wasn't?

Nick wrote:
But seriously, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I hope this series can stretch out the will-they-won't-they as long as possible. Because it is god damn hilarious.

Micchy wrote:
The result is a hilarious trainwreck of a romance that not only doles out great absurd humor, but manages to stay refreshingly realistic when it comes to the characters' feelings. Every bit of awkwardness in this show feels accurate to the psychology of dumbass kids, and it's just the best.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

ib is actually one of my favorite things ever, and I actually enjoyed it more than Kaguya (at least until the recent manga chapters, which are transcendent), mainly because I'm not that interested in romcoms, even openly self-aware ridiculous ones. I can understand why it'd be a YMMV type thing, though. It definitely does lean a bit hard into teenaged edginess, but what I think sets it apart is how earnest and vulnerable it is. It's basically this aspect of Kaguya...
Quote:
Yeah, a lot of what makes Kaguya-sama work is that its absurdity is grounded in realistic emotions.

...except with the "absurdity" bit replaced with "over-the-top suffering". It's a series that really, really wears its heart on its sleeve, and that's part of why I enjoyed it so much. ib is definitely messy for sure, but it's a messiness borne of the messiness of human emotions. And if you enjoyed that in Kaguya, then ib is definitely worth checking out.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Guys...

LOVE is a Garbage Fire
not
"The Show" is a garbage fire

trainwreck of a ROMANCE
not
trainwreck of a show

it means that the character's view of love and they way go about romance is disastrously wrong.

It's not a judgement on the quality of the show either way, just the absurdity of the situation... which is the point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gridsleep

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha ha ha ha.

I don't get it.

I do, actually. But, I'm a pacifist. So I gave up on love a long time ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1