• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Sega-palooza

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't realize how few games are coming out for 3ds till the other day when i was looking for new 3DS games. And they are starting to be more and more ports of wii/gamecube games.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
-Sonic: MY EYES! Seriously, yikes.

-DMC5: Gimme
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure while 1 and 3 are considered the best, DMC 4 is definitely NOT looked down upon like 2 is so I'm not sure the Star Trek comparison works. Also, technically the DMC reboot would technically be the 5th game of the franchise, just saying.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:14 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I'm pretty sure while 1 and 3 are considered the best, DMC 4 is definitely NOT looked down upon like 2 is so I'm not sure the Star Trek comparison works. Also, technically the DMC reboot would technically be the 5th game of the franchise, just saying.

To say nothing of the fact that the first game isn't numbered so that's a bit of damned by faint praise.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:01 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

What reboot, there was no reboot, we just went ten years without a DMC for some mysterious reason.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I preregistered for revo8 early on simply because of the character designs. I love them so much, they're so inventive and awesome. The ideas are so so good, I was so surprised looking at each character and seeing how much thought went into them. Even if the game system didn't look like my sort of thing, I decided to preregister.

The story is pretty cool too; that by winning games the fairy tale character becomes more relevant to entertainment so there'd suddenly be heaps of films and books and games made about the character.

I've been playing the game since the beta opened and it's actually been addictive, I've been surprised. It's been frustrating; there are times where I just keep losing and at one point I was so frustrated with the game I thought I'd quit, but even when I was so annoyed at it, a part of me just wanted to keep playing.

I'm not a super high league but I'm excited to get higher just to get new characters. I really like the idea behind the newly added character, Kaguya, and her UFO, so I can't wait to see more characters in the future!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:30 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:

What reboot, there was no reboot, we just went ten years without a DMC for some mysterious reason.

The Definitive Edition really isn't that bad honestly, truth be told I'd say it's quite better than the 2nd game.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:35 am Reply with quote
To Sega: Do not make Sakura Taisen 6 a PS4 exclusive (it will be censored to oblivion, it's been like a slaughterhouse for dating sims/VNs on PS4 for months), make sure it's either a multiplat or a Switch exclusive. Also, I do want to see some Saturn Sega Ages (Hanagumi Taisen Columns please), as there's already a Saturn game coming to the Switch next week.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

The Definitive Edition really isn't that bad honestly, truth be told I'd say it's quite better than the 2nd game.

It reaches the dizzying heights of "adequate" in terms of gameplay (with niggles still there), but the story and characters are what really bring it down. And then there's the dev's inexcusable behavior outside of the game (including that bizarre GDC presentation).
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:05 pm Reply with quote
That FFVI mod reminds me of the good old days of hacking the game with Game Genie. Gave Terra Health instead of Item, Locke Shock instead of Item, and Celes Magitek instead of Item. Health and Shock both were endgame worthy, but only Terra gets the full Magitek set, and they don't scale well, so Magitek Celes wasn't so good.

And also giving Terra Paladin Shield in every equip slot, so she could learn Ultima while fighting with the moogles...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:58 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
And then there's the dev's inexcusable behavior outside of the game (including that bizarre GDC presentation).

Which as far as I know have nothing to do with the game so therefore isn't worth discussing?
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:23 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Which as far as I know have nothing to do with the game so therefore isn't worth discussing?

The author's actions are a perfectly legitimate thing to hold against a piece of media. People have boycotted and companies have banned works solely because of the outside actions of the individual. People have been calling for Michael Jackon's works to be banned from television and music stations ever since the recent documentary about him came out. Some have obliged.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:20 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

The author's actions are a perfectly legitimate thing to hold against a piece of media.

Only if you're someone whose looking for a reason to air out personal grievances towards a 7 year old video game and the people who made it.......even when you've already done it numerous times (not you specifically).

AmpersandsUnited wrote:
People have boycotted and companies have banned works solely because of the outside actions of the individual. People have been calling for Michael Jackon's works to be banned from television and music stations ever since the recent documentary about him came out. Some have obliged.

......Yeah except two things that would never happen given Jackson's music is everywhere, and secondly as far as I know this scandal that's being alluding two isn't on the same level as the allegations against Micheal Jackson neither of which were proven.

I mean unless the developers pulled an Orson Scott Card and had "certain" views that bled into the work or those espoused publicly in relation to the game I don't see what it has to do with the work itself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1