• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Alita: Battle Angel Film Earns US$78 Million in U.S., US$382 Million Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:22 am Reply with quote
Alita ....Meanwhile 'Captain Marvel' grossed $455m worldwide in it's first 4 days and early screenings.

Let's hope Alita:Battle Angel doesn't need that estimated $500m to break even....
rtil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:33 am Reply with quote
retention for this film is terrible. if cameron wants a sequel he will be paying dearly out of his own pocket.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:36 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
Alita ....Meanwhile 'Captain Marvel' grossed $455m worldwide in it's first 4 days and early screenings.

Let's hope Alita:Battle Angel doesn't need that estimated $500m to break even....

Well the Studio that Produced it had made a direct statement that in order to break even it needed to make around 350 Mil which it has.

Other sources are the ones who are saying it needs 400 to 500 Mil. I mean if the studio is the one that made the statement the one that spent on it says it needs 350 mil than that is it. There is no way to reach the 500 mil at this rate but a couple of more weeks it can make the the 400mil at least.

Although i would like to think that the 350 Mil is the amount fox said they need to make to at least give Cameroon some leeway in order to produce the second film. After all he is the one that gave the studio 2 of the most profitable films to have ever come out plus a lot of old classics. If His Avatar Sequels can reproduce the same success as the first one. Fox Might give him some credit to produce one more film.

There is also the home video sales as well as streaming revenue they can still get in order to further recover more profits. Even if it was the success people hoped it will be, it very least exceeded people expectations and by no means is a box office bomb that many analysts predicted it will be. It has definitely brought back hope that a successful Japanese source material can be adapted quite well in the American cinema and this will definitely will become a cult fandom movie among sci-fi and otaku members. So in a way it has succeeded.

Last edited by Thespacemaster on Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:43 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Truth be told, I enjoyed Captain Marvel a little more. Alita was a film that felt aggressively good, as in everything was so at the level of good, not bad but not great, whether it was acting, directing, writing, etc. it almost made the film a bit more forgettable because nothing stood out as particularly bad or good. In fact, the one thing that might have made it stood out was its climax but they paced it kinda awkwardly and it killed the emotional impact it might have had otherwise. Also, given Mahershala Ali has been excellent in so many recent roles, it's a shame to see him wasted here on a character who really didn't need that good of an actor for the role of someone who's mind-controlled most of the movie.

Captain Marvel isn't much better, for one thing its first 10-15 minutes are rough, but once it gets to Earth it picks up and the characters and twists make it a bit more memorable.

I'm sure this is likely an unpopular opinion on this forum but yeah that's how I feel. That being said I do hope Alita does well enough to get a sequel for those who want it, but for me I hope Alita 2 steps up its game if it gets made (also, not familiar with the original source material, but there doesn't feel like there's enough story left for a whole other movie, they'll have to introduce quite a few new characters and plot threads to warrant an entire movie).
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:
Nordhmmer wrote:

There is no way to reach the 500 mil at this rate but a couple of more weeks it can make the the 400mil at least.

Alita:Battle Angel will end up grossing above $400m after initial DVD & Blu-Ray sales,rentals and it's last dying gasp at theaters.

That's not good news for those wanting a sequel.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:58 am Reply with quote
The fact that the movie didn't earn more than $100 million in the U.S. doesn't give me hopes that a sequel is going to be made. The international numbers are good but I don't think it was enough to cover its budget.
It makes me feel a little sad, I haven't seen the movie but knowing that Cameron spent years to make this movie only to be mildly succesful its kind of disheartening for fans of the manga and those who wished that maybe this was going to be the first blockbuster based on a manga.
By the way, I think it was unfair for this movie to get involved in a "fight" against Captain Marvel, I've seen posts saying that people were going to watch Alita to prove that it was a better movie than Cap Marvel, but looking at the weekend box-office results it makes me think that it only made Alita's performance look worse in comparison (I have nothing against Cap Mar, I'm planning to see it soon and I couldn't see Alita because I was busy with some exams). I hope that Alita won't be remembered as the movie that failed against Marvel.
Ushio

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:39 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Probably more than that. But that is only theatrical. Films can usually make 40% of there final boxoffice from all the TV/Streaming/Home Video rights.

That's based off of the Sony hack where unsurprisingly successful films at the boxoffice make more on home video and can get higher TV/Streaming rights by quite a lot.
micah007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I think there is too much goalpost moving with this film. We should all be ecstatic this film is no longer in jeopardy of being a financial bomb and an embarrassment to this fandom, and depending upon which numbers you believe is somewhat successful. I wouldn't say a sequel is never happening, but I wouldn't count out a long wait.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
This is great news and hopefully a sign that a sequel for Alita can be greenlit. I was really pleased by both this and Captain Marvel and really hope that studios will take the opportunity to push both forward as I really think that they’re good signs for the start of more female led heroic action/adventure films out there.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:

Marvel could put out a movie that's 2 hours of a static shot of a jar of mayonnaise and it would pull in $300 million opening weekend. It's not fair to compare the two. I know there's this rivalry between them, but anyone who thought they were comparable were fooling themselves. Even the die-hard Captain Marvel haters were accurately predicting it would do $150 million domestic back when news sites were hyping it up as a possible $300 million domestic opening.

I'm not a fan of either movie, personally. I can't root for Alita even if I found it to be slightly better since I don't want more live-action adaptions of anime. While it sucks the MCU have taken over American cinema over the past decade, I care about anime and manga much more, and I don't want anime and manga to be the next mining pit for Hollywood directors so anytime an adaption fails, I see it as less directors willing to do that.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:59 pm Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
[

Marvel could put out a movie that's 2 hours of a static shot of a jar of mayonnaise and it would pull in $300 million opening weekend. It's not fair to compare the two-----

I'm not comparing the two-What I'm pointing out if Alita:Battle Angel is done at the theaters.
As Captain Marvel will dominate for the next several weeks,then Dumbo comes out and then the Original Captain Marvel is released.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Alita will cross 400 Mil by the end of this weekend. After it's run it will make money on other platforms post theater release. The sequels could happen depending if the budget is lower which is likely considering how long the movie was in pre-production and the tech that they made for this movie will be mature and ready to use from day one for the sequels. Note that Pacific Rim did about the same as Alita and around the same budget too, it got a sequel. Shame the sequel was bad though and killed the franchise.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Profitability aside, any film that gets 400 million dollars cannot be considered a bomb.

Who can say if Cameron is done with Alita, he operates on his own. If his Avatar sequels rain money all bets are off.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Even putting aside the whole nonsense rivalry with Captain Marvel, Alita was always going to be a difficult sell in the US. Before the movie was made, it was barely known among most people outside of anime fandom, and even among anime fandom, it was always kind of a niche title compared to other old school sci-fi classics like Akira and GITS. Cameron and his crew should be proud this movie made even this much even if it doesn't get a sequel when you consider how unknown Alita was to the general public beforehand. I hope we can at least see some kind of deal made for a future anime adaptation which I think probably have a greater chance of being made than another sequel.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:40 am Reply with quote
It seems like it's doing well for itself. On the road to $400M. That's more than what most predicted. I actually feel we could get a lower budget sequel. They money shows there's an audience for this type of content. I don't know if they need to spend $200M making it again, but TONS of franchises have resulted from films that earned way less than $400M at the box office.

Nordhmmer wrote:
I'm not comparing the two....

You're ESL if you think what you wrote wasn't a comparison between the two films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2