• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, bilibili Establish Partnership for Joint Anime Licensing

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
Huh???!! How did this even work? Currently Bilibili is almost like the monopoly site for anime streams in mainland China and HK/Taiwan region(the other competors just either looking to stream together with Bilibili or withdraw from license war entirely), in winter for example, they got exclusive or joint rights of about 85% of total winter anime-up, including all the hot titles such as Promised Neverland, Love is War etc, AND not to mention somehow they got some exclusive titles from Netflix and Amazon as well!

This is getting...seriously crazy

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:44 am Reply with quote
R.I.P. Crunchyroll. You'll be missed.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
So is this a good thing or bad thing?
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:

I would say it’s a terrible thing for animation committee who are looking to get themselves covered on license cost, because it’s not happening due to the reason I stated on my post.

Might be good thing for viewer in mainland China and Taiwan/HK region since we will see “rich got richer”, but I have no idea how on earth Funimation will benefit from this at all.

Both are active players on anime production committees, so expect to see their names much more frequently in the future

Last edited by Engineering Nerd on Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:04 am Reply with quote
Lizzie_B wrote:

That would mean FUNi would get about 70% of the anime every season while CR would only get around 10 shows, depending on how many shows they co-produce during the season. But seeing that the amount of their co-produced shows are dwindling, I don't see much hope for CR. I don't count Netflix shows for those since those are using an entirely different model.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
I've got bigger worries about anime censorship with this partnership than I ever had about Sony's takeover of Funimation.
casenumber00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
Since funimation doesnt have nearly the same numbers and profits Bilibili has, get ready for a Chinese takeover at some point, my guess is late 2020.
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
I've got bigger worries about anime censorship with this partnership than I ever had about Sony's takeover of Funimation.

I was worried about that, too, but then also like, one of the most popular Chinese series is a BL, I think? (The Grand Master of Demonic Cultivation one)

So like...

I don't know, though, I have been really worried that Japanese producers are going to stop making BL because it will get censored in China. One of my favorite series has a lot of BL-type things in it, but it's popular in China, so I was worried that they'd make it more hetero so that they can keep selling it there...

(not that it would stop BL, but it might stop BL from growing as fast as it should...)
Vannil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:56 am Reply with quote
Here goes Funimation making one sided deals again smh
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah this bodes EXREMELY POORLY for the north American anime scene. If this is indeed true and they get 70-80% of the shows, then we can pretty much guarantee the dark ages and another NA anime crash. Funimation has the worst apps, the worst player, and the worst service of any NA anime publisher. Hopefully with Sentai and CR joining forces, they can combat most the acquisitions, otherwise welcome to the boom of piracy.
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:09 am Reply with quote
Sounds like good news to me being a fan of funimation and the work they do.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
I'm curious how this pulls off with Japanese licenses. Are they trying to be like Harmony Gold in dictating the licenses outside of boundaries of the United States and pushing Japan into a corner? Or is this agreement is with Funimation-original productions?

Either case, it looks like an opportunity for new NA Dub studios to take licenses away from Funimation. Especially when it appears the Japanese owners are not currently happy with this company.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:07 am Reply with quote
Well, that's different.

I'm genuinely curious how this will shake up regional licensing... Maybe it'll force the purchase of worldwide streaming rights from licensors instead of territories being an option. I could see this creating waves for the European and Australian markets for sure, and maybe even for Latin America. We're definitely in for some turbulence, at any rate.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:47 am Reply with quote
Did everyone forget that Crunchyroll is owned by one of the largest companies in the world? It’s not like AT&T is just going to roll over and play dead for an anime streaming site from China that doesn’t even stream in the US. Not to mention, there is no guarantee that this deal will even last long enough to damage CR, especially as most of Funi’s streaming partnerships were relatively short lived.

I think it’s a little premature to pronounce CR dead, when we haven’t even seen how this will affect their acquisitions in the future.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:55 am Reply with quote
Anytime a American company partners with a Chinese company I get suspicious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3