• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Winter 2019 in Retrospect

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this season’s coverage!! Although we do not always agree on certain points on anime plots and characters, but I would be lying to say I did not have a blast following This Week in Anime

PS: bless those who have finished Run with Wind, such a satisfying and rewarding show!!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Hey! Ueno-san was golden!--- maybe that's the wrong term to use.
It really was good though. They probably should have saved the pee episode for a later entry though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Ishigami is fiiiiine. He was an awkward otaku loser with zero tact, but he was likable enough. Frankly I think it's funny that he has complete confidence in opinions that he admits he got from romcoms, and also that several of these opinions are completely and unintentionally accurate to Kaguya herself.

We Never Learn might prove to be entertaining as far as harems go, but it's got a long way to go before it can match Quints as far as quality and popularity. That PV isn't instilling any seriously confidence unfortunately.

I ended up dropping Neverland because it didn't seem very interesting even 2 episodes in, but I might pick up the manga as I've heard some unflattering things about the anime anyway.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:21 pm Reply with quote
>no W'z bashing

Thank god. James Beckett ripped into that show enough, and I was done with him the moment he called the soundtrack "awful".
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Not watching Mob Psycho season 2 is a crime
Denys Lalande

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Meanwhile, I can't find a single website anywhere talking about _The Magnificent Kotobuki_.

I guess I'm the only person on this planet who owns copies of both FASA's _Crimson Skies_, and Rene Francillon's _Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War_; and who has studied Southeast Asia in the immediate aftermath of the Second Great Unpleasantness (at one point, the French were not only flying abandoned German aircraft in Europe, but abandoned *Japanese* aircraft in SE Asia...). :)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Denys Lalande wrote:
Meanwhile, I can't find a single website anywhere talking about _The Magnificent Kotobuki_.

A shame. It is a fun show.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
Too much talk about next season, not enough talk about My Roommate is a Cat. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Though season two needs to remove Ishigami

Absolutely disgusting. Season 2 must be Ishigami Time.

Also Asumi will never be best girl as long as Sensei exists.

Also I'm surprised there was never an SAO TWIA. I guess they didn't feel like grabbing fire extinguishers.

Next season looks barren as hell unfortunately; I can only hope Bokuben turns out well.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:45 am Reply with quote
Denys Lalande wrote:

This is the main reason I've been plugging it on here at pretty much every opportunity. Can't quite figure out why it's gone almost totally unnoticed; everyone's attention was all sucked up by the popular shows, maybe. Being a CGI production from mostly-unknown companies probably didn't help, either. But it was the most consistently enjoyable one for me this season, and had far more depth than I would have expected. And I'm by no means an aircraft/history nerd, so that's not a requirement or anything.

For next season... well, I'm probably going to have to track down another unappreciated gem or two while everyone else watches the new shonen ultraviolence anime, the third season of a different shonen ultraviolence anime, and a few other Very Anime Animes. On the plus side, if I get just a bit more jaded, maybe I can become a Land of the Lustrous character.
meruru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:54 am Reply with quote
How can you want to remove Ishigami? He brought us such hilarious lines such as he has Stockholm syndrome so he must go home. I'm so seriously happy for Kaguya-sama. I discovered the manga some time ago, and it was an instant favorite. I was thrilled when it got picked up to be translated, and then doubly thrilled with the anime announcement. Then to top it off, the anime couldn't really be better, except if there were more of it. I haven't even really been disappointed in all my time reading that they haven't gotten together yet. It's a parody of will they /won't they, but unlike straight up takes, the longer they don't get together, the longer it's hilarious. It just doesn't get old for me. I'm thrilled that it's now quite popular in the anime community.

Also, is it actually possible to watch Cross Game again? Last I knew it was gone from all streaming services. It makes me sad, because I really love Cross Game. Of the Mitsuru Adachi shows/manga I've experienced, I feel like that one was the best of his usual formula. I love its subtlety, and Aoba is a great female protagonist.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I won't be sad if next anime season turns out to be shit cus we still have our Lord and saviour Jojo. DI MOLTO! Cool
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Denys Lalande wrote:

This is the main reason I've been plugging it on here at pretty much every opportunity. Can't quite figure out why it's gone almost totally unnoticed; everyone's attention was all sucked up by the popular shows, maybe. Being a CGI production from mostly-unknown companies probably didn't help, either. But it was the most consistently enjoyable one for me this season, and had far more depth than I would have expected. And I'm by no means an aircraft/history nerd, so that's not a requirement or anything..

A person could make an entry in the Series Discussion forum. There is a preferred way to set up the first post, but it is not absolutely required. I started a thread there for Mysteria Friends and just started with an ordinary post, and so far nobody has cared about how I did it.. I made 2 posts about a couple of episodes and then quit, and nobody else posted, but they did get 70 some views. If I had put more effort into it, maybe something would have gotten going. (sigh).

kotomikun wrote:
On the plus side, if I get just a bit more jaded, maybe I can become a Land of the Lustrous character.

Laughing I see what you did there. Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm always so surprised when people say that they don't like Ishigami, until I remember that almost everything I like about the character comes from as-yet unadapted material (just like everything that I absolutely can't stand about Chika doesn't show up until later, either). Sad
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

This is the main reason I've been plugging it on here at pretty much every opportunity. Can't quite figure out why it's gone almost totally unnoticed; everyone's attention was all sucked up by the popular shows, maybe. Being a CGI production from mostly-unknown companies probably didn't help, either. But it was the most consistently enjoyable one for me this season, and had far more depth than I would have expected. And I'm by no means an aircraft/history nerd, so that's not a requirement or anything.
I've been enjoying The Magnificent Kotobuki a lot as well. From what I've heard from fans who tried watching it, the CGI does seem like the biggest hurdle and some fans thought there wasn't enough going on in the show to invest in it though that slice of life aspect is part of it's appeal to me. I also think coming out in the same season as Girly Air Force worked against it and I think people just assumed Magnificent Kotobuki would be too similar to that show even though they're both very different shows that both happen to revolve around airplanes. But I did enjoy Magnificent Kotobuki and how they explored the world building and I enjoyed the character interactions and how they animated the aerial dog fights was cool as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2