• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Fans Pick the Most Heart-Pounding Yuri Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wtv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I would say Kase-san is the fairest in the list. It's one of the best-animated yuri works, imo. Way better than Citrus and YagaKimi.
The fact that FliFla never makes in these lists is sad.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Citrus as number 1 is ridiculous. But I give the poll credit for having Bloom into You very high up.
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:21 pm Reply with quote
No Sono Hanabira? Or was this excluding hentai?

Glad to see Konohana Kitan, though it's great for more than just the yuri.
Caela Cait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Citrus being number one but the list is missing Izetta the last witch.
bennyl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'll be that guy. Aren't Karau and Christmas sisters, and basically twins? My understanding of the term yuri involves a romantic relationship, or at least an attempt at one. Maybe that's a western misunderstanding. I think the portrayal of Karau and Christmas's love is one of the most powerful in anime. To call it yuri seems almost like a devaluation of it.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow Simoun is waaaaaaaay too low on this list. I assume that's because it's never streamed anywhere ...

Many of the ones at the top are barely even yuri, tbh ...
Gemma Seymour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, of course, these polls are always going to heavily favor the most recent releases, but as far as I am concerned, as an actual lesbian, no poll about yuri can possibly be complete unless Girl Friends, which many of us believe to be the best yuri manga of all time, gets adapted.

To have Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana down so far on the list is deplorable.

Anime reporters need to stop asking cis het men and boys about yuri, entirely.

Kase-san is a one-shot, not a series, Liz to Aoi Tori is a movie, not a series.

Last edited by Gemma Seymour on Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
chappellefan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:09 pm Reply with quote
To say I disagree with the list results is an understatement.

While I'm glad Bloom into You is getting the love and appreciation it deserves, a lot of the older works seemed to be snubbed.

Kashimashi isn't even on the list. Kannazuki no Miko/Destiny of the Shrine Maiden and My-Hime, arguably having some of the most famous yuri parings aren't in the top 10.

And to have Simoun so far at the bottom really depresses me.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I believe that Bloom into You is my personal favorite. I love the story and the opening and end theme songs is the best i heard in years. However Citrus is right up there with Bloom into You. Both are extremely good with excellent story
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Gemma Seymour wrote:
Well, of course, these polls are always going to heavily favor the most recent releases, but as far as I am concerned, as an actual lesbian, no poll about yuri can possibly be complete unless Girl Friends, which many of us believe to be the best yuri manga of all time, gets adapted.

No. Because not all yuri readers are lesbian/bi/pan women, OK?

And I agree that Sasameki Koto and Aoi Hana, and for that matter Utena, should be higher.

Yagate Kimi ni Naru is better than Citrus, though I don't hate Citrus either.It's just not deep.

And I thought only I and 30 salarymen/career women remembered Seraphim Call, Blue Drop and Kurau: Phantom Memory. I loved these. Also Mai-Hime and Simoun.

Edit: Madoka Magica is an amazing show, and... WHERE THE HELL IS ONIISAMA E....?!!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:49 pm Reply with quote
bennyl wrote:
I guess I'll be that guy. Aren't Karau and Christmas sisters, and basically twins? My understanding of the term yuri involves a romantic relationship, or at least an attempt at one. Maybe that's a western misunderstanding. I think the portrayal of Karau and Christmas's love is one of the most powerful in anime. To call it yuri seems almost like a devaluation of it.

Yeah, Kurau Phantom Memory isn't yuri. Rynax Pair relationships don't fall under any conventional human description of love and certainly aren't gender-based. They're the most unique cases I think I've ever come across.

Simoun isn't conventional, either, but you can much more strongly argue a case for that one being genuinely yuri. And I absolutely agree with others that it would probably be much higher in these rankings if it was more widely-known.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
How is Yuruyuri heart-pounding? From what I watched of it, it didn't even take its yuri elements that seriously and mostly played it for comedy. If you took out the yuri elements it would be like any run-of-the-mill "cute girls doing cute things" anime.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Gemma Seymour wrote:

Kase-san is a one-shot, not a series, Liz to Aoi Tori is a movie, not a series.

I am currently reading Girl friends right now and fact i will start volume 5 tonight. In my opinion it is a good manga and has a good story. But it does not come close to the story line of Bloom into You or Citrus. I am more moved by these two then all the other mangas i have ever read. I am not attacking anyone by no means but Girl friends seems a bit jumbled in the story. To me it does not have a flow to it as much as Bloom into You
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
How is Yuruyuri heart-pounding? From what I watched of it, it didn't even take its yuri elements that seriously and mostly played it for comedy. If you took out the yuri elements it would be like any run-of-the-mill "cute girls doing cute things" anime.

Males do not even exist in the yuru yuri universe. Whenever the author forgets that she goes back and retcons them out of existance, like she did to akari's brother.

I love the list, it's not perfect but it it very representative of yuri as a whole.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Bloom Into You is one of my favorite manga (and anime) ever, so it was cool seeing it so high up there.

I really liked Girl Friends but I also feel like Milk Morinaga does get a bit wobbly with story some times. I would call her work great; I think Hana & Hina After School is almost as good as Girl Friends honestly, in its way, but her work does have some issues (and she definitely has a “type” as far as stories go).

Citrus is okay for me. Yuzu is an amazing character, but Mei is way, way too closed off most of the time and comes off as a bit of a drip.

I’d love to see a full Kase-san series, Girl Friends, and Kiss & White Lily. Basically animate all the yuri.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3