• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fairy gone

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
It really is just paint by number at the moment, it just doesn't have much of an hook. The closest things to one it had was the idea of what do soldier do after the war, but it seems pretty clear that it's not really interested in that and already dropping heavy hint that there'll just be another war. Similarly it just doesn't seem interested in the civil war aspect, a country being forcefully reunited is a rich setting, but we know next nothing about any of the side. Otherwise it could have tried to explore the somewhat unique technological setting it's in (early industrial era), with the changing dynamic that new technology have for older "technology". For example what happens to army who mainly depended on few mystically enhance soldier now that they can make gun which should give a big advantage to regular soldier (or at least make them more competitive), but that also doesn't seem to be something it's interested in looking at.

Gun being in the show even seems to be a bit of a disadvantage since they don't seem to know how to make good action scene involving them. Maryla had Wolfran in her sight many time and she just never bothered shooting for some reason. Similarly the sniper team did almost nothing, they shoot one enemy and then didn't do anything.

I can't help but feel like for now it's just a poor man claymore.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
This is a lovely looking show, like all P.A. Works shows tend to be. The writing has been uninspiring and lazy, but hopefully its 24 episodes run is enough to produce a worthwhile story and more interesting characters. Still, even with its faults, I think Fairy gone can be one of the most popular shows from this season.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
Hopefully with 24 episodes it won't fall down the same boring, uninteresting hole that Sirius the Jaeger did.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:04 pm Reply with quote
The story has potential and the action scenes are fairly good but the first two episodes feel generic. I am hoping to see it improve in future episodes and the slow pacing might have been a choice for the character introductions. It is possible the writers are waiting a few episodes before they really get into the story.

meiam wrote:
Maryla had Wolfran in her sight many time and she just never bothered shooting for some reason.

Maryla knew that Free was once friends with Wolfran which is why she didn't want to shoot him and it is somewhat similar to her situation with Veronica.

meiam wrote:

So far the show reminds me of Black Cat, Claymore, and FMA.
TexZero

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:

meiam wrote:

So far the show reminds me of Black Cat, Claymore, and FMA.

How did you reach to those as a comparison over something like Witch Hunter Robin ?
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Something about this show makes it feel like the kind of thing I should be binging on Netflix 9 months after it came out and everyone forgot about it. It really feels like the sort of show they usually pick up.

I'm not expecting to be blown away by this one, and I'll watch up to ep 3 before making a decision whether to drop it weekly and eventually catch up once the whole thing's over and done with. Serviceable so far, but it feels pretty dispensable, and I will be surprised if it manages to change that impression as it continues to air.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
I hate that the battle fairy designs (other than Marlya's) are so pointlessly ugly (Clara's chibi frog fairy is kinda cute). And in general, this is starting off amazingly bland, given its subject matter. The moment I hate most in episode 2 though, was Jet's stupid death. If he had time to dash in and set himself up to receive a spear thrust center core, he had time to just tackle the soldier to the ground, spear-arm and all, giving Free time to give him a hand, if he even needed one.

There's potential here, but they've got their work cut out for them if this isn't to end up circling the drain.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:48 pm Reply with quote
This really feels like somebody came up with this cool idea of "fairy soldiers" and then desperately tried to build a decent story around it which seems to consist mostly of (war) anime tropes (for the time being)...

Like pretty much everyone else, i'm unsure if 24 eps. will turn out to be a blessing or a curse, but for now it's still interesting enough to follow. But to be honest, in a stronger season, i might already have given it the boot...
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:33 pm Reply with quote
TexZero wrote:
How did you reach to those as a comparison over something like Witch Hunter Robin ?
Black Cat due to the antagonist setup, Claymore since the fairy surgery was done to make soldiers that could fight in a war, and FMA due to the use of magic in war and that the soldiers will likely get involved with a conspiracy involving that fairy book. While Fairy gone is similar to Witch Hunter Robin in art style I think the story is closer to FMA since it is a world where people know about magic and even normal humans can somewhat use it through the use of magical machines.
shubs13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
i think that at this point the anime is a bit messy. Since, it's the initial episodes, they're probably just world building, so I do want to give the anime some time to build the world and explain the characters a bit better. I do think that its an interesting concept, however I really want to see it have a coherent and well flowing storyline, which just doesn't seem like the case right now.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:16 am Reply with quote
Yeah I’d agree with the sentiments that state the series hasn’t done anything remarkable in its first three episodes. Everything is so standard and tropey, so it’s hard to find something to sink my teeth into. But, even still it’s decent enough to keep up with. I’m hoping it finds ground soon and becomes a standout. But if I’m judging from the first three episodes, I’d say it’s just OK.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Starting to get "Sirius The Jaeger" vibes with this...and thats not a good thing.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
While I'm still finding the series watchable and like Marlya quite a bit, it definitely feels like it's underperforming. It will need to up its game or people are going to forget about it quick once to the abandoned Sacred Beasts, which has some similar themes but a more compelling variation on the premise, debuts next season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Starting to get "Sirius The Jaeger" vibes with this...and thats not a good thing.

Sirius the Jaeger was a great show.

As for this show after checking out the first two simuldub episodes I'm honestly intrigued. I admit after 2 episodes it hasn't done a whole lot but it's clearly trying to build a great world that may actually turn out good after a few more episodes.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:

Sirius the Jaeger was a great show.

It sure is...if you need to catch up on sleep. That show was painfully boring with abyssmal worldbuilding and flat as a board characters.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3