• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'Which CLAMP Series Did You Start With' Hashtag Trends on Twitter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Magic Knight Rayearth on fansubbed VHS (the only fansub VHS I ever got). Everyone on rec.arts.anime was saying how great it was that I just had to get it ... and it was.

The 5th tape had pink vertical lines all through it - watchable, but bloody annoying (and apparently also on the fansubber's master copy).
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura on Kids WB and later on Toonami. Chobits came next.
Jex2193

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
CCS fansubbed online. Started the anime journey late, and somehow missed Cardcaptors all together? yeah honestly never heard of it until I stumbled upon the original. it happens to be the first subbed anime I ever watched.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
For me, my first CLAMP manga was one of their more obscure titles, Wish. I didn't get into anime of their anime until later, but when I was younger, I remember seeing commercials for it on Kids WB, and I hated it and didn't watch it because I thought it was gonna be a dumb girly girl show where the characters did nothing but drink tea and giggle and talk about boys, Yeah...I was a pretty judgmental kid way back then at...like, seven or eight years old. But then I re-discovered it YEARS later and watched the subbed version, but not completing it until I got into college.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Tokyo Babylon was one of my first manga and I remember those full color pages in each volume. It was also one of my first experiences with shonen-ai. I moved on to Chobits and it's complicated differation between emotional love and physical love. After that, xxxHolic connecting all of the universes together.
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Hmm ... now I think about it maybe I'd bought and watched Tokyo Babylon before I got the MKR fansub. I don't know - it was one of those two.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:17 pm Reply with quote
xxxHolic forever! It was my intro to CLAMP and I think it's their best.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Jex2193 wrote:
CCS fansubbed online. Started the anime journey late, and somehow missed Cardcaptors all together? yeah honestly never heard of it until I stumbled upon the original. it happens to be the first subbed anime I ever watched.

Card Captor Sakura on PURPLE VHS TAPES. In the mail. Before fansubs could go online. Cool
xxxHolic came later, on online fansub and DVD. I learned early on, if it has wings with little swirly marks, it's CLAMP.

And you can still catch a taste of "Cardcaptors" in the dubbed Movie 1 (which was released while Cardcaptors was still airing, and had to continue the dub canon).
Now streaming on Crunchyroll and Amazon Prime. It'll make you appreciate CR's Animax dub of the TV episodes that much more.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
If my username didn't give it away already, it was Cardcaptor Sakura for me. I remember back then it was airing on Friday afternoons and Ronin Warriors was on at the same time on Toonami so I would often flip back and forth between Kids WB and Toonami and I happened to come across Cardcaptors by chance. I was already hooked into anime at the time and was a big Sailor Moon fan so Cardcaptors was instantly something right up my alley even though I didn't really know what was going on at the time and the mangled episode order Kids WB used didn't really help things either. But even through Cardcaptors I found the characters to be really charming and it was rare to see an anime with such impressive animation of Madhouse's pedigree like that on something like Kids WB or Fox Kids at the time. Escaflowne was probably the only other thing on network TV that looked that good around that time. I was also big into Pokemon and Digimon then so Cardcaptors was like a mix of my two favorite genres; magical girl and monster battle. After learning CLAMP made other manga, I found the Magic Knight Rayearth manga at Waldenbooks through the old Tokyopop release and was instantly hooked on it and I've been a diehard CLAMP fan ever since.

Quote:
For me, my first CLAMP manga was one of their more obscure titles, Wish. I didn't get into anime of their anime until later, but when I was younger, I remember seeing commercials for it on Kids WB, and I hated it and didn't watch it because I thought it was gonna be a dumb girly girl show where the characters did nothing but drink tea and giggle and talk about boys,
That's interesting you still felt that way about Cardcaptors because the main reason Nelvana changed so much of the original was to make the show more appealing to boys.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
If we talk about anime, that would be X (Tv version). In manga, xxxHolic.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Sakura on TV, but the first manga I read was actually Tsubasa Reservoir and I knew absolutely none of the references.

I liked it, somehow.
Konstantin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure that the name of the quoted voice actor for Li Shaoran is Motoko Kumai, not Makoto.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Like most westerners CCS was my first CLAMP show. I think chobits was next for me.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Angelic Layer for me. Certainly not my first anime in general, but before I discovered CCS, and well before my gateway anime.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
xXx_Holic on Funimation, and then the manga. After them came Chobits and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle, with Card Captor Sakura afterward.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2