• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Licenses Kemono Friends, Honey & Clover, Ayakashi, Sorcerer Hunters Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Kind of weird that they licensed the single worst Lupin III TV special. But whatever. Giant Robo is coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Honey and Clover just showed up on Crunchyroll, too.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Nice that someone's releasing Ayakashi again on BD, but it's a shame they can't do what the Japanese BD of release of Mononoke did, include the Bakeneko portion of Ayakashi. It's very unusual to include a portion of a separate series (that's a separate license) but it was the perfect way to do it, as they go together seamlessly.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:36 am Reply with quote
I think The Last Job is solid and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected after so many people told me it's terrible. I'm glad to be able to pick it up, even as I was hoping that the next one would be Stolen Lupin or Dragon of Doom.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:04 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
I think The Last Job is solid and I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected after so many people told me it's terrible. I'm glad to be able to pick it up, even as I was hoping that the next one would be Stolen Lupin or Dragon of Doom.

I'm with you.
I would like to see more of Lupin III and released.
I've seen most of the Lupin III releases in the West and NOTHING after the first TV series has been as bad an experience for me as THAT was so I take criticisms of later films, specials, and TV series with a grain of salt.

Nice user avatar, btw!
She's one of my favorite anime characters... Number one on my list of the female characters.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I've seen most of the Lupin III releases in the West and NOTHING after the first TV series has been as bad an experience for me as THAT was so I take criticisms of later films, specials, and TV series with a grain of salt.

Wait, you didn’t like Part 1? Why?? It’s one of my favorite Lupin series. Certainly much better than a good chuck of the later tv specials at the very least.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:50 am Reply with quote
Why isn't Sorcerer Hunters in HD.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:03 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Because it was never remastered for HD in Japan or even released upscaled on BD. The former should theoretically be possible though if they still have the cels left. If.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:46 am Reply with quote
Also announced at Anime North:

City Hunter: Shinjuku Private Eyes is getting an English dub.

dm wrote:
Honey and Clover just showed up on Crunchyroll, too.

And they use the Viz masters & subs, this is part of the reason Mike Toole went into detail on the new release at the panel because the Viz DVDs were really bad and when people caught it at Crunchyroll, they were not happy.

Blanchimont wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Because it was never remastered for HD in Japan or even released upscaled on BD. The former should theoretically be possible though if they still have the cels left. If.

And if the latter happened then it would probably look bad given King Records' track record with upscales (see the Yuzo Takada titles and most recently with Slayers).

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun May 26, 2019 6:34 am; edited 3 times in total
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:01 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Nice that someone's releasing Ayakashi again on BD, but it's a shame they can't do what the Japanese BD of release of Mononoke did, include the Bakeneko portion of Ayakashi. It's very unusual to include a portion of a separate series (that's a separate license) but it was the perfect way to do it, as they go together seamlessly.

These are my feelings too, but also I'm just so glad I'll be able to own this arc of the series again. I had bought the individual DVD for it waaaay back and it disappeared somewhere which made me sad. Now if only Mononoke would get a Blu-Ray release . . .
marek1712

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
SD Blu-Ray? Bleh, even though I'd like to get the discs.

Ayakashi has proper HD version or is that an upscale?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Discotek got KFriends. I don't follow anime zeitgeist closely anymore, but I got the impression that show was like a smash hit. I always associate Discotek with licensing smash hits from 40 years ago as opposed to today's biggest and most popular titles.

NJ_ wrote:
And if the latter happened then it would probably look bad given King Records' track record with upscales (see the Yuzo Takada titles and most recently with Slayers).

How does SD on Bluray show on on a TV though? If it literally just triggers a 1080 or 4K television to drop to a 480 based resolution, that'll look significantly worse than something upscaled with some type of processing.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:50 am Reply with quote
marek1712 wrote:
Ayakashi has proper HD version or is that an upscale?

Nope, I believe Hataraki Man was the first Noitamina show to air in HD and considering Ayakashi (and Honey & Clover) aired before it, it's most likely SD.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm surprised Discotek got KFriends. I don't follow anime zeitgeist closely anymore, but I got the impression that show was like a smash hit. I always associate Discotek with licensing smash hits from 40 years ago as opposed to today's biggest and most popular titles.

They usually do. They're just branching out. Besides, old school titles can only make so much money for them. I am surprised they've started dubbing shows now. I hope this new endeavor works out for them! Very Happy
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
Yay, definitely ready to upgrade my old dvds for Honey and Clover! I do remember finding two of the three out-of-print sets for super cheap at a con a couple years ago, which I was pretty psyched about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3