• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Microsoft Reveals New 'Xbox Project Scarlett' Console for Holiday 2020 Launch

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm Reply with quote
based on current power progression, there's NO way they meant "8k gaming" like The Verge claims. 99% chance they meant 8k video. The exact wording was "8k capability". They're using that wording on purpose. Same with 120 frames with no mention of graphics quality, and ray-tracing. Ray-tracing even on $1500 GPUs cuts FPS by a massive amount. You need around $4000 for a PC strong enough to do 4k60fps with ray-tracing. So Ray-tracing for next-gen consoles, if released in 2020, will most likely be for indie games, older games (backwards compat and such), and games that simply have lower graphic levels. 8k is simply impossible on a cheap system. 60fps4k requires a system worth over $1000. 8k gaming is a pipe dream for the next 5 years even on PC.

So I'm not happy about XBOX intentionally overhyping people like that, but I blame sites like The Verge more for twisting their words to make people really think this is gonna somehow be stronger than $4000 PCs.
chrisc1978

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am Reply with quote
Since no gaming company I buy games from makes games for Xbox, I say big frigin woop
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Microsoft also has Project xClould coming for any-device game streaming, so if any game company wants in on that new revenue opportunity, they gonna be publishing for Xbox too.

Even Sony will eventually be going that route too, but since Sony's streaming will also be using Microsoft cloud tech, may as well do both.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
based on current power progression, there's NO way they meant "8k gaming" like The Verge claims. 99% chance they meant 8k video. The exact wording was "8k capability".
Yes that sounds highly unlikly, they've only just started with 4K games.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1