• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fire Force Creator Atsushi Ohkubo Alludes to His Work Being 'Stolen'

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dicku-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Reading the synopsis side-by-side is like reading Isekais side-by-side lmao
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a stronger case could be made between To The Abandoned Sacred Beasts and this season's Fairy Gone but I feel like these cases depend more on their execution than the broad synposis.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
When Ohkubo sensei complained that he regretted to share his idea before manga publication (which also started in 2014, the manga started serialization on 2015), I knew this could go could go wrong.

I wish there is a side by side comparison of the monster designs, you will see how similar they are.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Dicku-kun wrote:
Reading the synopsis side-by-side is like reading Isekais side-by-side lmao
Well, most of the isekais from the last past five years comes up started as self-published works, so the complete lack of originality in some things of them is really simple for explanation by the authors being total novices at writing.
Hal14

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the similarity is coincidental because the premise is ,honestly, fairly generic:

A disaster happens which reduces humanity to just a few settlements, humanoid creatures and monsters appear that are either the source or a byproduct of the disaster, an organization with special gear/abilities to fight the creatures and a main character with a connection to these creatures.

Manga like AOT & Owari no Seraph and games like God eater, Code vein, Astral chain all have these elements with slight differences.
Derpinat0rz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm Reply with quote
i always thought of Fire Force as Blue Exorcist rip-off by the picture alone. I wish the author had made another Soul Eater like manga. with a badass female lead.
Bioshocker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
So there seems to be confusion about whether he said "Please stop accusing Promare from plagiarizing my work" and "Promare plagiarized my work". Kyuu tweeted about it and how Japanese can be hard to interpret sometimes https://twitter.com/sakyuuga/status/1138781443977465857 so take both possibilities with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Bioshocker on Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:09 pm Reply with quote
eh, sounds pretty generic to begin with
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:30 pm Reply with quote
DAMN he went and said it! This gon be good.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 pm Reply with quote
If this is true, that's really a shame. The premise sounds fairly similar so I'll have to see how they differ in execution (character arcs, powers, monster designs).

I've enjoyed what I've read of Fire Force so far and TRIGGER almost always makes something worth looking into, so I do hope nothing was stolen.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Without a concrete timeline, particularly from Imaishi, all of us are spinning our wheels. It is an unfortunate coincidence that both are really hitting the market at roughly the same time (anime-wise.) If they weren't, I wonder if the comparison would be as sharp. Both are concieved by industry professionals, and if both are successful, their individual qualities and characterization will hopefully come through. I think I'm going to have legal across to Fire Force more quickly than Promare, and I'd already planned on watching both, but unless Kim would like to elaborate more insights after reviewing Promare, this is going to be lost in translation for the time being.
Cabron

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
No mention of the Burning Rangers game?
Rika Hue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I think it's an interesting premise that can go in a lot of ways! Having seen Promare and having read a bit of Fire Force, I can see the appeal of wanting to use cool hot-blooded firefighters. Both Ohkubo and his 'aquintance' must have liked it very much. It must have been fun discussing it! I can't pretend that I was a fly on the wall the day the conversation happened, but who's to say the idea didn't come from the aquintance first? And now that Ohkubo has seen the execution of that idea, he may be thinking 'o sh*t, that's awesome, why didn't eye think of that?'. So my first point is that we cannot know who mentioned the idea first.

My second point is that, although his confidence may have taken a hit, Ohkubo doesn't really need to worry about it. The stories are very different. For one - the length. You can't really compare the length and depth of a multi-volume ongoing series with an almost-2 hour movie with a complete story. The scale is too different. For example, the characters. Promare is spoiler[laser-focused on its central characters. The rest of the Burning Rescue squad are cool, but they don't get a lot of development, except Anya]. Where in Fire Force, from the little I've read, the members of Company 8 are each spoiler[as important as the 3 mains in Promare]. Also, the battles. In Promare, spoiler[it's a one way battle, from start to end. One main villian to defeat ]. In Fire Force, spoiler[there are of course many battles, and I imagine they don't get to the boss as quickly.] I don't know enough about Fire Force to make a full conclusion, but let's just say they are different enough.

*Spoilers are not really spoilers, but just in case.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:47 pm Reply with quote
You didn't invent firefighters, Ohkubo.
harminia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:56 pm Reply with quote
As stated, they're pretty generic concepts. I do see similarities, but when you boil them down, they're generic concepts, they just share a fire fighting theme.
I think this wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for the fact the movie and anime are releasing in, like, the same year as each other.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2