• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Evangelion's 'Cruel Angel's Thesis' Gets New Taiko Drum Arrangement in July

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 am Reply with quote
The piano track replacing the original ending was really disappointing. Netflix pays boatloads for all kinds of content, so you’d think paying a little extra for international rights to a song would be within their budget.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
The drums are a novel interpretation to be sure, but what sells it to me is the male chorus.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
Has Netflix issued a statement on why the song change? I heard it might have something to do with Sinatra's estate.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Has Netflix issued a statement on why the song change? I heard it might have something to do with Sinatra's estate.

The licensing issues can vary from country to country. It's also possible given how relatively new the concept of TV streaming is, that whatever contracts were initially signed didn't include that.
fanime99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I've heard the original many many times (but not for a couple of years), and this is a cool spin on it.

Is that the original female vocal, or a re-recording? It stands out better in this version.

Like others, I don't like the idea of replacing the end song. Fortunately, I don't have to watch the Netflix version - I have the originals (and the Platinum versions) on DVD (I'd like to have them on Bluray, too...)
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:03 pm Reply with quote
A Cruel Angel Thesis never gets old no matter if they remix the song.
Speaking of songs, it seems that the removal of Fly me to the Moon became a tending topic. It's a shame that they couldn't get the rights, but I think something similar happened with Zeta Gundam and its opening theme song too.
Also, I managed to watch Evangelion on Netflix here in latin america and the dub is kinda weird, characters like Shinji, Rei, Fuyutsuki, and Makoto are still voiced by the same actors from the '99 dub, on the other hand Misato, Asuka, Aoba, Kensuke and Yui have the same voices from the Renewal dub from '08, and the rest like Gendo and Ritsuko have new voices. I've only watched a few episodes, but they made some changes in the pronunciations... again. Evangelion in neutral spanish has never been consistent, with the exception of Shinji's voice actor who never got replaced, not even in the Rebuild trilogy. At least we finally got the 2 movies from the 90's dubbed.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

But Evangelion never used Sinatra's version of the song.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:29 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Dessa wrote:

But Evangelion never used Sinatra's version of the song.

It's arguably the most famous version of that song, so it's understandable that people may not realize that the song was covered by Sinatra and not created by him.

It was originally written by Bart Howard, so presumably there may be license issues with that estate, or it could be the owners of the specific versions of the song(s) used in the show that presented a licensing issue.
Regardless, I'm sure Netflix could have done it if they wanted to, but I imagine the cost ultimately wasn't worth it for them considering if you just let it play you probably don't even hear more than a few seconds before it skips to the next episode :/
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Regardless, I'm sure Netflix could have done it if they wanted to, but I imagine the cost ultimately wasn't worth it for them considering if you just let it play you probably don't even hear more than a few seconds before it skips to the next episode :/

Yeah, that's one of my pet peeves with Netflix: automatically skipping the end credits unless you manually override it every single time.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The taiko drum arrangement pumps freshness to the song, but it feels like it doesn't mesh up well, at least when I compare it to the original.

As for Netflix replacing the ending song, it is indeed disappointing since those who are new to the franchise will not be able to see the original ending song.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1