• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Carole & Tuesday Anime's 1st Half Debuts Worldwide on Netflix on August 30

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I can wait at least a month to watch the dubbed version on Netflix. In the back of my mind, I hope this gets an LA dub where Steve Blum gets a role in this show preferably Gus. In fact an English dub has the potential to sound a lot smoother since all the songs are in the English.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Shame it's not really worth the wait and hype. Also a shame Netflix is STILL standing by this release method. It's asinine at this point. I've said it before but their subs/dubs have major issues with grammar and translation. The wait doesn't make the quality better and they almost never fix reported errors. They might as well release weekly sub-only and let people choose how they want to watch things.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting all year for this show and I'm glad we finally have a release date set. This is probably the first Netflix Original anime in a long while that I've been actually excited for.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:35 pm Reply with quote
This show is sooo good! Respect for everyone waiting for the Netflix release, I’ve been indulging in the fansubs. I totally plan to rewatch it on Netflix, though. I don’t usually re-watch series, but this one is that good!

Wondering why they’re changing the OP & ED. I hope it’s just a stylistic change and not indicative of any music rights issues...
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
other than a few good episodes early on, it has gone into predictable and cliche territory. there has been little in the way of intrigue or surprises. with a forgettable and shallow cast of characters and lifeless supporting cast (for the most part), there is very little working in its favour. while bebop and champloo lacked character development, it more than made up for it due to the interesting personalities on display. certainly watanabe's worst anime to date and something that almost anyone could have directed. very disappointing indeed -- having a hard time finding the desire to watch s2 at this point Sad
#MuhBael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
other than a few good episodes early on, it has gone into predictable and cliche territory. there has been little in the way of intrigue or surprises. with a forgettable and shallow cast of characters and lifeless supporting cast (for the most part), there is very little working in its favour. while bebop and champloo lacked character development, it more than made up for it due to the interesting personalities on display. certainly watanabe's worst anime to date and something that almost anyone could have directed. very disappointing indeed -- having a hard time finding the desire to watch s2 at this point Sad

Pretty much my same thoughts. When it was first announced I was super excited because I loved Space Dandy, Samurai Champloo, and Cowboy Bebop so I was expecting Carole & Tuesday to be another masterpiece from Watanabe. Sadly what I got were lame characters and boring plotlines. I do like the music though and the animation is pretty decent but the plot and characters killed all my interest to keep watching.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
certainly watanabe's worst anime to date and something that almost anyone could have directed. very disappointing indeed -- having a hard time finding the desire to watch s2 at this point Sad
Worse than Terror in Resonance?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:28 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
I hope this gets an LA dub where Steve Blum gets a role in this show preferably Gus
That would be great,, that's one thing has sucked about his last 3 shows being localised in Texas.
anime_layer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'm really enjoying Carole & Tuesday, watching it weekly on Japanese Netflix. So Netflix will release the series in two parts worldwide, then the second part would be released end of November?

A lot of the enjoyment of C&T comes down to the music. For my tastes, the music is leagues ahead of most J-Pop fare we usually get in anime. Watanabe has assembled composers and musicians from around the world and created a series where the performances are at least as important as the story.

I think it's also misleading to compare C&T to Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. It's much more in the vein of Kids on the Slope, while focusing even more on the performances.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:13 am Reply with quote
anime_layer wrote:
So Netflix will release the series in two parts worldwide, then the second part would be released end of November?

Why would the second half have that longer wait time for official release, If first half comes now you'd expect second half by start of Fall season? Nevertheless, by that time I've already watched it...
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:30 am Reply with quote
anime_layer wrote:
A lot of the enjoyment of C&T comes down to the music. For my tastes, the music is leagues ahead of most J-Pop fare we usually get in anime. Watanabe has assembled composers and musicians from around the world and created a series where the performances are at least as important as the story.

I actually travel to Japan to hear the music of anime (and some video game music and classical and jazz and tokusatsu music). For me it's great to hear the best music of anime and related media, avoiding the more forgettable songs.

From what I have heard of Carole and Tuesday's songs, they sound a lot more western to me, so don't have the appeal of being different from western music.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:23 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:

No. It's better than that show, but still not that compelling.

My issues have mostly to do with how untalented the performers are, C&T in particular. The best single performance so far was Angela's work in episode twelve. However it's almost a joke that Watanabe entitles each episode after famous songs from the Sixties though the Nineties performed by artists whose talent level far exceeds that of the show's cast. Even groups I've never been all that fond of like ABBA or The Carpenters shine more brightly than the mains in Carole & Tuesday. Some of the choices make sense given the episodes' content, Springsteen's "Born to Run" being one example, but some selections are just weird. I'm still trying to figure out why "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople was chosen.

And, yes, this show has much stronger ties to Western popular music than J-Pop.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:57 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Wondering why they’re changing the OP & ED. I hope it’s just a stylistic change and not indicative of any music rights issues...

The new OP/ED is just referring to the 2nd cour of the show getting new themes, not any changes to the worldwide release of the first cour
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Xristophoros wrote:
certainly watanabe's worst anime to date and something that almost anyone could have directed. very disappointing indeed -- having a hard time finding the desire to watch s2 at this point Sad

No no, it's not that bad, it's just somewhat forgettable. The plot/character isn't all that interesting since they spend so much time on singing performance instead. That wouldn't be a problem... except the performance just aren't that good, there's like one or two that are kinda interesting, but otherwise it's very bog standard (and sadly Carol and Tuesday themselves are probably the least interesting of the bunch, which makes the story a bit awkward).

If you want an idea, here's the audio of what is imo the most interesting performance to date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFzkjY70-3g
And here's what most of the rest sound like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iMTdJKXds0
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:34 am Reply with quote
anime_layer wrote:

I think it's also misleading to compare C&T to Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo. It's much more in the vein of Kids on the Slope, while focusing even more on the performances.

the reason i compare it to bebop/champloo (i could also throw in space dandy), is because those shows also did not feature very much character development and instead focused on the unique personalities of its characters. carole and tuesday is just as lacking as the mentioned shows in terms of character development so it suffers all the more for it due to the plainess of the characters. they are far from engaging or interesting and simply come across as boring in my opinion. kids on a slope by comparison was structured in traditional way with plenty of character development, drama and growth. i would even say that the music performances in kids on the slope far exceed anything in carole and tuesday. considering the music should be the best asset of the show but often falls flat or is forgettable says a lot about why it has been so disappointing. we all expected more from the great watanabe.

Last edited by Xristophoros on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2