• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yoshitaka Amano Unveils Gibiate Survival Action Anime Series for Summer 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Now there's an interesting staff lineup. Premise sounds fairly basic, but I'll definitely be looking forward to how it turns out.

That must've made for a neat closing ceremony surprise.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:24 am Reply with quote
Insect Hunter D
Animerican14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:42 am Reply with quote
Yoshitaka Amano creating an anime, huh....

Whatever happened to that "Devazan" movie? I distinctly remember seeing a trailer for it.... though looking it up now, the last thing anyone said anything officially about the movie was when it was announced, in 2010? (That's longer than I remember!) And we've only had a graphic novel/art book sure then? Guess that movie is basically vaporware at this point huh.

Hope this will have much more luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
donhumberto

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
Well, this looks pretty dope. Definitely gonna keep a close eye on this project.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
You know, with the way those designs were animated, I think Amano could legitimately lend his talents to a decent Final Fantasy anime if given a chance with the original Square writing staff.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
An initial announcement of an original anime that has a video preview, some main character info, and a release date is quite rare. While I am liking the premise, not currently sold on the artwork. O.K., so a project that will likely be hyped up quite a bit for the next near year. With this, I think Crunchyroll would be best to give this project a weekly streaming provided that this project is a TV/web anime. Perhaps by then, CR will have managed to get some simulcasts that are "Worldwide except for Japan and China".
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
this looks horrendously bad. the lifeless animation is amature hour and the music feels like it was taken out of the 1960s. why amano would waste his time on this project is anyone's guess. his designs typically do not translate well to other media (only angel's egg was ditinctively amano) and this is no exception.
Amaranth Sparrow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Whatever happened to that "Devazan" movie?

I'm not sure that it was actually ever intended to get a full movie, it's possible that the promo video was just misreported on. If not, it was evidently scrapped.

There's a chunky hardcover illustrated novel, which is actually pretty good, and he did a few art exhibits.

Incidentally, it seems like he's been trying for about two decades to tell this story (more or less), about a time-traveling samurai winding up in a post-apocalyptic setting. That's roughly what his unfinished Hero series was about, and same for Deva Zan.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, that's definitely Amano. Dude is obsessed with time traveling samurai
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1