• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya CG Anime's Trailer Previews Theme Song's English Cover

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:50 pm Reply with quote
It's better looking than I expected it to be, but visually it's not as good as the movie that came out about 6 or 7 years ago.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:06 am Reply with quote
The animation is pretty bad considering the standards for CGI animation these days, this looks like PS2 graphics. There's also something uncanny about the character design, I can't put my finger on it but they just don't feel natural; maybe it's the textures. Aiolia in particular looks atrocious and that first scene of Seiya with those thugs is just weird. Legend of Sanctuary came out YEARS ago and it looked so much better than this.
Sergorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:19 am Reply with quote
Legend of Sanctuary is a movie. Of COURSE it's gonna look better than a TV series.

For a CG TV series it actually looks really good and better than most.

-Sergorn
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:34 am Reply with quote
But Netflix original series don't have the time and budget constraints of regular TV series that would justify the inferior graphics. Just look at some of their CGI animated stuff, like Love Death and Robots or Trollhunters. In the former, there are some episodes in which the human characters are so well rendered they're almost indistinguishable from real people at first glance. Compared to that, this looks just plain bad
TheJABS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Just look at some of their CGI animated stuff, like Love Death and Robots or Trollhunters. In the former, there are some episodes in which the human characters are so well rendered they're almost indistinguishable from real people at first glance. Compared to that, this looks just plain bad

This is like comparing pears and oranges. Love, Death, And Robots is an anthology produced by director legend D. Fincher and working with animation dream teams that set out to impress and tell their own stories. Saint Seiya will all be animated by the same studio, and will tell a cohesive story during the season. So, there are creative constraints and both works can't be compared.

I don't think the animation in Saint Seiya looks bad, actually looks better than I expected. It can't really be compared to a movie, again, it's comparing oranges and pears.
Amibite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:53 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
The animation is pretty bad considering the standards for CGI animation these days, this looks like PS2 graphics. There's also something uncanny about the character design, I can't put my finger on it but they just don't feel natural; maybe it's the textures. Aiolia in particular looks atrocious and that first scene of Seiya with those thugs is just weird. Legend of Sanctuary came out YEARS ago and it looked so much better than this.

Hard disgaree. The animation itself in Legend of Sanctuary might be better, but the designs in that were way more uncanny there than these here. This actually translated the series's style into CG much more faithfully.

At any rate, I'm just glad Polygon Pictures isn't attached to this. They're usually Netflix's go-to studio for CG anime. They'd make this look and animate even worse.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
A lot of Western studios use Polgyon despite their well...suckitude. They’re unfortunately handling the Pacific Rim anime as well which means my hope for that series is nonexistent.
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:32 am Reply with quote
I just... I hate unrealistic CGI but it could of looked worse. The Dragon Prince, for all that people loved it, CGI looked terrible more often then not, at least in Season 1.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:42 am Reply with quote
The biggest problem I have with this CGi animation is that it looks too goofy and cartoony and I can't really take the style seriously.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 am Reply with quote
This looks wonderful - and I love the character designs. Can't wait.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The biggest problem I have with this CGi animation is that it looks too goofy and cartoony and I can't really take the style seriously.

Too goofy and cartoony? What were you expecting for them to do then?
geepee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:42 pm Reply with quote
expect Twitter to be flooded with Portuguese and Spanish profanities against Netflix when this comes out...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

Too goofy and cartoony? What were you expecting for them to do then?
It looks like a very cheap American Saturday morning cartoon show from the early 2000s. The Netflix Ultraman anime had much better CGI.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Seiya on a skateboard and Saints vs. random military presence aside, this doesn't seem too far off as an adaption (if you ignore the Shun gender flip).

I guess they're eschewing the adoption angle with Kido in lieu of him just roping in a bunch of kids to defend Athena as Saints.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
The CG looks fine to me because it's got a decent, consistent frame rate and it's not cel-shaded. Ultraman, for instance, looked great to me during the fight scenes, but once the action ceased and the characters started to stand around and talk, the frame rate dropped and the show started to look as bad as most cel-shaded CG anime.

What I'm wary about is the writing. Stuff like Seiya riding a skateboard and fighting street thugs, or the Bronze Saints fighting armed soldiers in a desert, makes me feel like I'm watching an American cartoon co-opting Saint Seiya's imagery. They're clearly trying to win over new American fans even if that means pissing off fans of the manga or the original anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3