• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Opens Account to Accept Donations for Fire Victims, Rebuilding

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:25 pm Reply with quote
so is this something that people in the west can officially donate to? if so, id like there to be a url listed if thats alright.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:38 pm Reply with quote
It's a bank account, there's no link to a "donate" page, you can instead transfer money to it through your bank.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:03 pm Reply with quote
As someone who donated to Sentai's GoFundMe, I hope those monies are wired to the KyoAni account as soon as possible.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:01 pm Reply with quote
It seems international bank transfer fees are pretty expensive, so looks like Sentai is still the best way for smaller donations.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
ssgOverlord wrote:
It seems international bank transfer fees are pretty expensive, so looks like Sentai is still the best way for smaller donations.

Yes that is absolutely still the case. Why ANN still wont post it on their site despite referencing it many times is beyond me
animefan1238

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a banker and all the information given is what is needed if you want to wire money at your local institution. Fees for doing the wire vary from bank to bank. Some may ask questions of why you are sending the wire for their own compliance protocol. Of course consult your bank for more information. Just be smart and use common sense.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I forgot a second season of dragon maid was confirmed. Even more sad now.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 pm Reply with quote
This is a small point re "the doors remained unlocked", and I don't know if I should link to it because it mentions the suspect's name, but the "Kyoto Animation arson attack" article in the English section of Wikipedia says:

Quote:
The studio's entrance required employee pass-cards, but the door was unlocked as the studio was expecting visitors from NHK at 11 a.m. (02:00 UTC).[20][21]

However, the 2 references are from July 18 and July 21, so perhaps that information is out-of-date.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Sentai just retweeted a message "from KyoAni" which seems to be from a Japanese lawyer named 桶田大介, commenting that issues of fees and taxes will need to be worked through to get the GoFundMe funds transferred. I can't read Japanese, can someone clarify his relationship to KyoAni?

Retweet: https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1154239339490086913

Original: https://twitter.com/DaisukeP/status/1154181288183521280
dcresistance

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Sentai just retweeted a message "from KyoAni" which seems to be from a Japanese lawyer named 桶田大介, commenting that issues of fees and taxes will need to be worked through to get the GoFundMe funds transferred. I can't read Japanese, can someone clarify his relationship to KyoAni?

Retweet: https://twitter.com/SentaiFilmworks/status/1154239339490086913

Original: https://twitter.com/DaisukeP/status/1154181288183521280

He's the lawyer KyoAni hired
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:11 am Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:
Sentai just retweeted a message "from KyoAni" which seems to be from a Japanese lawyer named 桶田大介, commenting that issues of fees and taxes will need to be worked through to get the GoFundMe funds transferred.

Fees I can understand, but taxes? Does Japan actually collect taxes on charitable donations? Are they treating these funds as ordinary income to KyoAni? Surely there must be a way around that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:25 am Reply with quote
From a post in another thread today:

sputn1k wrote:
Donations have never been a big thing in Japan. This is mostly due to the fact that donations are not tax free or have a significantly lowered tax rate by Japanese law. There is also a sociocultural aspect that makes many Japanese people reluctant to accept money from others without giving anything in return that is of comparable value.

Perhaps this event might encourage the Diet to re-examine its tax laws? I'm sure most of us who contributed the $2 million now in Sentai's account didn't expect a chunk of it to go to the Japanese government in the form of taxes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1