• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rifle is Beautiful TV Anime Reveals Theme Song Info, October 13 Debut

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
*[Snip]: Language! Errinundra.* Just picturing girls singing about guns, shooting guns, catchy lyrics about pointing their gun at you and pulling the trigger, just let that set in for a second. With all these idol anime trying to be different so they can stand out, at this point I won't be surprised if the next gimmick turns out to be astronauts. I say all this but I'll most likely end up checking this out.
Halko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Cute girls going to space has already been done a few times i believe. Also its not uncommon for the VA to make an "idol group" for a show. Personally i just hope they actually do justice to the subject and dont go full on fantasy shounen superpower bs or preachy think of the children guns are bad propaganda.
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Halko wrote:
Cute girls going to space has already been done a few times i believe. Also its not uncommon for the VA to make an "idol group" for a show. Personally i just hope they actually do justice to the subject and dont go full on fantasy shounen superpower bs or preachy think of the children guns are bad propaganda.

That's my actual worry. That this will end up begin "that one anime that took it too far" for like the 10th time. Some news coverage is gonna stumble upon this and (no pun intended) BAM! 2-to-3 months of "another example of why anime is bad", and "this is targeted (no pun intended) to our children" posted everywhere.
Halko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:49 pm Reply with quote
I doubt it will ever get any coverage like that except from maybe some super clickbait articles from rags like kotaku or whatever other source of "journalism" thats so prevalent today. Everything is a talk point opinion piece and its simply exhausting to have to filter out people talking out their ass about how much of a bleeding heart they have or how they are a special and unique snowflake. That is neither here nor there since really i just want a show that takes itself and its source material somewhat seriously out of this. Peoples opinions be damned.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:10 pm Reply with quote
It should be pointed out that they're actually using "beam rifles" because getting an air rifle, much less a .22 target rifle, is *really hard* in Japan. Anyone can get a beam rifle, though.

This is basically the minor sport of minor sports, though...
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, been looking forward to this since it was announced last year. Can't pretend the promo art and staff inspire much confidence, oh well.

It's a web 4-koma adaptation, I don't expect it to take anything very seriously Smile

When I clicked to read the comments I expected to see "Oh, yet another moe military about girls with guns" with comparisons to Upotte, Stella Women's Academy High School Division Class C³, and/or Sabage-bu (not really sure which are close since I still haven't seen any of them, despite Girls und Panzer being an all time favorite). For that matter, Strike Witches had the girls using real WWII era firearms with real ammo.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:12 pm Reply with quote
nDroae wrote:

When I clicked to read the comments I expected to see "Oh, yet another moe military about girls with guns" with comparisons to Upotte, Stella Women's Academy High School Division Class C³, and/or Sabage-bu (not really sure which are close since I still haven't seen any of them, despite Girls und Panzer being an all time favorite). .

Out of those I definitely recommend Sabagebu if you're going to watch one. An amazing main character (pretty much the opposite of the milquetoast heroine you usually get leading these shows) and some great comedic timing makes the jokes land much more often than they miss.

As for this, those designs look just plain bad and the cast/staff doesn't pique my interest one bit, so unless I hear some good things about this one I'll steer clear.
nDroae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched Sabagebu yet because of what I've read about its main character and comedy, it doesn't sound like my kind of show. But I'll watch them all in time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1