• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tokyo ESP Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:19 am Reply with quote
I tried to get into Tokyo ESP after learning it was made by the same creator as Ga-Rei Zero, but I just couldn't...at all. The only character I liked was the teleporting ninja girl, and Rinka's dad. Rinka herself was a basic protag at best, and the story was just awful to watch unfold (but I guess thats what you can expect when Segawa's original vision was a character with fart powers). Best thing in it were the Ga-Rei cameos.

If you're looking for an X-Men anime...just watch the literal X-Men anime Marvel made a few years back with Madhouse.

Last edited by Punch Drunk Marc on Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:21 am Reply with quote
Tsk, tsk. I searched the whole review for mention of Peggy, the flying penguin who eats powers, and not a single mention was made! A flying penguin! He's a vital plot element, too.

I like this show. I bought the Blu-Ray a while back because it's a fun little romp with cool superpowered characters, albeit, as is mentioned in the review, not especially complex ones. I wouldn't count it as a favorite per se, but I feel it's a little underrated.

I won't hear badmouthing of "Tokyo Zero Hearts", though. I love that song. Great OP.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:59 am Reply with quote
I really liked the use of psychometry in this one.

bedsides that Iw asn kind of sad ot learn, that the author fo gareizero is not the same author as garei and tokyo es. since garei zero is mostly original content based of garei and the series quality si completely unlike the mangas.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Tsk, tsk. I searched the whole review for mention of Peggy, the flying penguin who eats powers, and not a single mention was made! A flying penguin! He's a vital plot element, too.

I like this show. I bought the Blu-Ray a while back because it's a fun little romp with cool superpowered characters, albeit, as is mentioned in the review, not especially complex ones. I wouldn't count it as a favorite per se, but I feel it's a little underrated.

I won't hear badmouthing of "Tokyo Zero Hearts", though. I love that song. Great OP.

Really happy to see that your username checks out

I too love the OP song, but also the OST by Evan Call was fantastic. Overall this anime was very forgettable to me but I remember it was fun while I watched it - not sure I'd buy it tho
Treeborn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I read the manga in its entirety, but couldn't stand watching the animated series because of how the characters were designed, especially the lip thing. I can't stand the lip thing. I was able to ignore it way back when I watched Ga Rei Zero, but couldn't tolerate it with Tokyo ESP. I wish the art style would have resembled the manga a bit more closely, as I personally find that style appealing.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I like the first episode, but I didn't care for rolling back the clock after that. I would have been happier to see the story continue from there rather than going back and telling a less interesting story to simply get back to the first episode.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I know this isn’t the best place for this (not to mention a bit late), but if I may ask, Theron, are you going to do a review for the second season of Kakegurui like you did for the first season or has that never been on the priority list?
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 am Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I read the manga in its entirety, but couldn't stand watching the animated series because of how the characters were designed, especially the lip thing. I can't stand the lip thing. I was able to ignore it way back when I watched Ga Rei Zero, but couldn't tolerate it with Tokyo ESP. I wish the art style would have resembled the manga a bit more closely, as I personally find that style appealing.
Is it sad that I was roped into the manga and ended up buying and reading the whole thing primarily off of how beautiful the print quality of the books were? I liked the manga just fine, but it was hardly one of y favorites, but the books themselves are among my favorites in my collection just from how nice they feel to pick up and read through.

That's an incredibly shallow way to get into a manga (books and covers etc.), but those books feel really nice.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Best thing in it were the Ga-Rei cameos.

I came here to comment this, but happy to see that someone had already beat me to it. To this day, Ga-Rei Zero remains one of my favorite animes of all time.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I know this isn’t the best place for this (not to mention a bit late), but if I may ask, Theron, are you going to do a review for the second season of Kakegurui like you did for the first season or has that never been on the priority list?

It was until other things got in the way. I may look into finishing that (I got through the first five or so episodes) once I get done with the tricky business of writing up the second half of a certain controversial mecha series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
steelmirror

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
once I get done with the tricky business of writing up the second half of a certain controversial mecha series.
A Certain Controversial Mecha is my most anticipated Raildex spinoff.
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:43 am Reply with quote
When I saw this story, I vaguely remembered watching the anime when it first came out in fansubs. I hadn't even known it came out with an English dub, let alone a blu-ray. I wish they had done a second cours to flesh out the story more and continue it Then some of the weaknesses mentioned could have been addressed. For a 12 episode adaptation, they did pretty much all they could. Longer or more episodes is pretty much the only way you could add depth without sacrificing the characterization and story they did tell. So by addressing those weaknesses, the strengths would have been weakened and you would have ended up with something mediocre across the board.

At any rate, I'll have to check amazon.ca and deepdiscount for pricing on the new and original blu-ray releases. My budget is over-drawn, but I'm interested in rewatching the series and checking out the dub at the same time, and I like to support the industry by buying what I like instead of just downloading. The thousands of dollars I have spent on anime out of my limited budget....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1