• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn Manga Is '70% Complete'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 pm Reply with quote
29 volumes in Japan and it's only under 3/4's complete? I'll still read it, I'm loving following the characters' journeys--but it's a bit hard to imagine how the author is stretching things out.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:34 pm Reply with quote
2nd season please. Very Happy
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I want more of this animated too.
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:48 pm Reply with quote
2nd season where you @? :l
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I can only hope her math on completion is better than Eiichiro Oda's Wink I'm always super impressed by how these people just keep churning it out with few, if any breaks. I know she took one after the 2011 earthquake, but I think she was back within 3 months or so.

Still, considering that Yona IS still one of the best series coming out in English, I'm glad that it's aiming to end on its own terms, but isn't rushing either. I also really hope that her NG Life series gets rescued and put out in omnibuses or something, it's a shame so many have to go without on that also fantastic series. By my math, it should be around 42-43 volumes (unless she does a ton of short stories at the end), which is pretty epic. Not to mention, super rare for a shojo series that long to come out in English these days (I think only Skip Beat surpasses it). Perhaps a long-running shojo fantasy epic would encourage someone to take a chance on 7 Seeds, just sayin'
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:13 am Reply with quote
That's significantly further than I'd've expected. After the first few story arcs the story seemed to slow to a fairly slow pace... seemed to be treading water in the early second act.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
Only 70%, that surprised me especially after reading the latest chapter. I'm glad we're not yet near the end, this is one of my favourite manga stories at the moment. I'd be alot happier if they'd get a move on and announce a new anime season, it's been far too long since the last one and they have more than enough material.
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:02 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I can only hope her math on completion is better than Eiichiro Oda's Wink I'm always super impressed by how these people just keep churning it out with few, if any breaks. I know she took one after the 2011 earthquake, but I think she was back within 3 months or so.

Still, considering that Yona IS still one of the best series coming out in English, I'm glad that it's aiming to end on its own terms, but isn't rushing either. I also really hope that her NG Life series gets rescued and put out in omnibuses or something, it's a shame so many have to go without on that also fantastic series. By my math, it should be around 42-43 volumes (unless she does a ton of short stories at the end), which is pretty epic. Not to mention, super rare for a shojo series that long to come out in English these days (I think only Skip Beat surpasses it). Perhaps a long-running shojo fantasy epic would encourage someone to take a chance on 7 Seeds, just sayin'

(one piece) its pretty epic in scope to be fair, and it has never gotten dull, and only better and better from this readers eyes.

also, can we please get the anime back?? (yona)
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
@ARC-1300

Oh, I'm not dissing One Piece itself, it's a good fun epic series, but I am doubting Oda's ability to estimate how far he is into the completion of it. I just don't think he really knows or cares how far he is (considering the series' popularity, I'm sure there's no rush on the part of Shonen Jump or the readers for him to end it either, they all know that they'll happily let him keep making it for as long as he pleases) and that he just spits out a percentage every few years to get everyone off his back, lol
ARC-1300

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:15 am Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
@ARC-1300

Oh, I'm not dissing One Piece itself, it's a good fun epic series, but I am doubting Oda's ability to estimate how far he is into the completion of it. I just don't think he really knows or cares how far he is (considering the series' popularity, I'm sure there's no rush on the part of Shonen Jump or the readers for him to end it either, they all know that they'll happily let him keep making it for as long as he pleases) and that he just spits out a percentage every few years to get everyone off his back, lol

I figured as much, ill never really understand the people that want it to ends mean, do you want it to have a rushed an unsatisfying ending??

but yeah, glad to see you still enjoy it. I'm riding this high for as long as I can.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:30 am Reply with quote
I loved this series and wanted to collect it all in print but just don’t have a room for such a long series. So with regret I made the decision to switch to digital.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I loved this series and wanted to collect it all in print but just don’t have a room for such a long series. So with regret I made the decision to switch to digital.

An Ikea billy bookshelf holds about 240 volumes of manga; that's 800mm/2' 7 1/2 of wall space. Unless you live in a small studio apartment you can usually fit one or two; they cost about as much as three vols here (but books have always been expensive in oz). You can fit more in if you stack long series cover-out, but I haven't worked out exact numbers.

I mean, when you're talking about the sixth one like I am it becomes an issue, sure.
nargun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
(also note that japanese uses tenths where in english we'd use simple fraction: nana-wari really means something closer to what we'd say as two-thirds or three-quadters
manapear

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:00 am Reply with quote
Echoing the sentiment that I'm surprised it's that complete, given the latest chapter. Pretty surprising, but I suppose that makes sense.

I'm really curious about what more is to come for everyone. I feel like the latest arc has me side-eyeing certain characters more. I want to be right, but knowing how things go in Yona, it would also come about in some devastating way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1