• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Nana Mizuki Cancels Hong Kong Concert Due to Country's Turbulent State

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T.Silver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Smart move
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:37 pm Reply with quote
The CCP is too dangerous for any living thing to be strolling around Hong Kong much less a famous, well loved idol.
Brutannica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hong Kong is not a "country." It is part of China. This is not some dubious propaganda line, it's the way it is. The protests are about distrust of the Chinese government, since it has jurisdiction over Hong Kong, since it is part of China.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Updated it to "area" instead of "country"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ballinamon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Better, I don't want Nana to deal with this sh*t.
Dracospirit121

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:49 am Reply with quote
Can't blaime her for wanting to avoid poltical unrest, through I assume the choice was likely taken by her manger doing a risk assesment.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:29 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:
Hong Kong is not a "country." It is part of China. This is not some dubious propaganda line, it's the way it is. The protests are about distrust of the Chinese government, since it has jurisdiction over Hong Kong, since it is part of China.

There are a lot of people in Hong Kong that would like to have a word with you.

Two decades after the British lost control of this territory, there is still a lot of animosity over the decision to be handed back to China. Many still feel that Hong Kong and China are two different countries, despite China's "One country, two systems" policy.

If you need tangible proof, take a look at the passports offered to residents of Hong Kong. They're not given the same passport that those from Mainland China are given. Mainland Chinese citizens have red passports that say "People's Republic of China". Those that consider themselves to be Chinese citizens of Hong Kong have a completely different, blue passport that says "Hong Kong Special Administrative Region People's Republic of China". There are also many still in Hong Kong who refused to give up their British citizenship and have British passports

If Hong Kong was indeed 'one country' as Beijing would like to think that it is, everyone would have the same passport...including Macao and Taiwan.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
Brutannica wrote:

Agreed that it's not a country (they've edited the hed), but as for whether China has jurisdiction, it does and it doesn't. Hong Kong is a special administrative region with its own governing document, its own courts, its own laws, its own visa policy, its own police and such. Under the Sino-British Joint Declaration, Hongkongers will retain their capitalist system and way of life until at least 2047.

However, the chief executive since the handover is and has always been a puppet of Beijing. One of the demands of the protesters is universal suffrage in electing both the LegCo and the chief executive.

The bill that set off the firestorm would have allowed Hong Kong to extradite people wanted for mainland offenses. China's legal system is opaque and unjust. The bill would be tantamount to knocking down the firewall between Hong Kong and the mainland.

Either way, as for Mizuki's decision, that's the right call. I know for me personally, I'd like to go to Hong Kong next year, but I'm not sure what the situation will be like there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1