• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Becomes Majority Investor in Viz Media Europe Group

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:01 am Reply with quote
So does this mean, we can get more anime catalogs on Europe, i like mine in Serbia? This is a good step for European that loves Anime, manga, J-Video games, J-Pop and more. Very Happy
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:39 am Reply with quote
Probably the first time ever that crunchyroll has cared in the slightest about any country outside of North America...
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:26 am Reply with quote
So that means some animes on CR aren't available in many European countries for now will be available in the future including the Baltic countries? ( The Scandinavian countries have mostly animes on CR but not the Baltics). I hope it will happen.
teferi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:05 am Reply with quote
Crabtree1 wrote:
Probably the first time ever that crunchyroll has cared in the slightest about any country outside of North America...

Every time CR does their license announcements they have to make it clear that they try to get a license for as many regions as they can. Then Europe cries tears of blood when they don't get everything for them. You've got companies competing for licenses and if anything this makes it pretty clear that the problem was money. Christ, they just bought a majority stake in a company and your first thought is that they've been ignoring Europe this whole time? If anything it proves the opposite.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
Outside of Aniplex shows, didn't they have a lot of "Worldwide ex Asia" licenses this season? Unless Europe is now considered part of Asia, why are Europeans still crying about regional restrictions?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
I know international entities bearing the name of North American outfits tend not to be directly connected or influenced by them, but I really thought all this time that Viz Media-proper had at least a sliver of ownership in them. Should hopefully be very good news for European fans, in terms of expanded coverage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Escaflowne2001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I never even knew Viz Media had a European arm to be honest.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:11 pm Reply with quote
"Crunchyroll launched in 2007 as a streaming service offering anime titles without authorization, but in 2008 it secured US$4.05 million in its first-round funding from Venrock and began licensing titles for streaming. The Chernin Group acquired a majority stake in Crunchyroll in December 2013. The Chernin Group and AT&T formed the joint venture Otter Media in 2014, and Otter Media invested another US$22 million in Crunchyroll's parent company Ellation in November 2015. AT&T then announced in August 2018 that it has acquired all of Otter Media."

I think there is something missing in this summary, because Ellation just comes out of nowhere. Was Ellation always crunchyrolls parent?
el_morris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Crabtree1 wrote:

Well, they do care about international markets, or at least more than funimation does.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne2001 wrote:
I never even knew Viz Media had a European arm to be honest.

Yeah, they have been around a long time. They're the company that currently owns the anime distributor Kaze who covers France, Germany & the UK.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
"Crunchyroll launched in 2007 as a streaming service offering anime titles without authorization, but in 2008 it secured US$4.05 million in its first-round funding from Venrock and began licensing titles for streaming. The Chernin Group acquired a majority stake in Crunchyroll in December 2013. The Chernin Group and AT&T formed the joint venture Otter Media in 2014, and Otter Media invested another US$22 million in Crunchyroll's parent company Ellation in November 2015. AT&T then announced in August 2018 that it has acquired all of Otter Media."

I think there is something missing in this summary, because Ellation just comes out of nowhere. Was Ellation always crunchyrolls parent?

No, it was just the company that Otter Media grouped its subscription video services under.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1