• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Screen One Piece Stampede Film in U.S., Canada This Fall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:05 pm Reply with quote
This news has brightened my day up so much!
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I live in Sacramento so I hope they show it here. I'll have to wait and see...
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Hoping for an Austin, TX screening. Caught the premiere of One Piece: Gold with my mom a couple years ago, and it was an amazing experience. We'd both love to do it again.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Funimation just releasing the movies now. How about the TV series, was that canceled or something?
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Funimation just releasing the movies now. How about the TV series, was that canceled or something?

Not canceled but as far as we know, it's on hiatus. Last year, some of the voice actors hinted at being in the middle of dubbing Punk Hazard, however, it has been radio silence since then.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:41 am Reply with quote
I’m curious as to who they’re going to get to be the new voice of Sabo. Fingers crossed for Johnny Yong Bosch.
Drac

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 am Reply with quote
I have no faith in this playing remotely within reasonable distance to where I live. It's also weird they're releasing it so soon with a dub and zero advertising on Funimation's part until now. Those AMC listings were for October but looking at Film Gold's performance I don't think they have much faith in this one making even close to a million domestically.

Toei must want to scrape up as much money as they can during the 20th Anniversary and didn't want a 2020 release.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:02 am Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
I have no faith in this playing remotely within reasonable distance to where I live. It's also weird they're releasing it so soon with a dub and zero advertising on Funimation's part until now. Those AMC listings were for October but looking at Film Gold's performance I don't think they have much faith in this one making even close to a million domestically.

Toei must want to scrape up as much money as they can during the 20th Anniversary and didn't want a 2020 release.

Well they haven't announced any release dates yet. With Gold, Funimation released it a little over 3 months after they announced it, so expect it to be late november/early december. And One Piece has never really been all that popular in the US & Canada (due to 4kids), and any movies that do have theatrical screenings always have very-limited runs (in terms of both number of theatres and screenings, as well as how long) and very little promotion. Also, if memory serves, I believe Gold was the only one that got a proper theatrical run, and Strong World & Z were limited to one-time showings at conventions. I don't think anyone thinks any One Piece movie will ever get a million in the US & Canada after the mess with 4kids, and it's certainly not funimation's goal with it's popularity being what it is in those countries. I do think it will do better than Gold though, since Stampede is doing better than what Gold did in Japan right now, and there's more overall hype around Stampede.

And well, One Piece is the highest selling manga of all time and one of the most popular anime/manga franchises in the world, so of course they're gonna celebrate the 20th anniversary. If they didn't celebrate it, or did something small, people would be asking why. Aside from anime series like Sazae-san or Doraemon that just keep going on and on for the sake of going on (with no plot or reason), think about how many anime (or heck, even tv shows in general) that can run 20 years straight, that has an actual plot that moves forward. Detective Conan did a similar thing with it's 20th anniversary movie with tons of promotion and involvement from the mangaka.

Also, they're it in this year because the anime started in 1999. Why would they celebrate the 20th anniversary during the 21st anniversary in 2020? They may drag it out to 2020 (and perhaps do more stuff then), but it makes sense that something as a big as the 20th anniversary is released in 2019, during the anniversary year.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:07 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

Well they're mainly just releasing the TV specials. FUNimation has yet to touch any of the old movies (movie 8 was the most recent movie when they dubbed it). And they usually try to release the new movies as soon as they can. It's unlikely they would drop the series if they're still doing movies and tv specials, cause if the tv series isn't doing well, it's more than likely the other stuff won't do well either. I think it's just licensing issues or dubbing delays, and they're just releasing the TV specials so that we can have something in the meantime. One Piece may not be the most popular thing ever in the US, but it's still one of their biggest titles and something I don't ever see them dropping unless their relationship with Toei goes sour or something like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1