• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Promare Anime Film Ranks at #3 in U.S. on Thursday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It also trended in the top 10 on Twitter. For a new property with almost no promotion, that's pretty damn impressive. I hope they consider a wider release, as this movie's getting a lot more buzz than expected.
#Synaesthesia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I saw the dub on Tuesday and I still can't get the opening song "Inferno" out of my head. I absolutely loved this movie.

Last edited by #Synaesthesia on Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Not bad. Maybe that's why they chose a slow day like Thursday...
akamarulover

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
im impressed it did so well with how very limited the screenings were
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:18 am Reply with quote
Yeah. I was surprised it seemed like Promare didn’t play in my state at all, even in the bigger farther away cities that usually get GKids releases. But I’m glad Promare did so well and I’ll have to check it out when it’s on BD.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:33 am Reply with quote
I really want to watch it again. This movie pleasantly surprised me!
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
When I went to buy a ticket on Monday for the subtitled showing on Thursday, all three venues in Boston were nearly sold out. (There were slightly more seats left for the dub.) The venue I chose had two theaters devoted to showing Promare.

At 69 I was, naturally, the oldest person in the theater by far. There was one guy who might have been in his forties. Everyone else looked under thirty.

After the end of the frenetic opening sequence of twenty minutes or so, I began to worry that Imaishi was never going to let us catch our breath.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
I saw the subtitled version on Thursday in a theater was probably 80% full. That may be the fullest I've seen a mid-sized theater for an anime movie since the Madoka Magika movies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I saw the subtitled version on Thursday in a theater was probably 80% full. That may be the fullest I've seen a mid-sized theater for an anime movie since the Madoka Magika movies.

Interesting.. I also went to the sub version and the turnout was pretty weak. Worried me since all the other shows I have seen recently, Danmachi Movie, GITS Arise, Heavens Feel all had fairly impressive turnouts.
meggu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I got my ticket the day after I missed the AX showing. I was at the dub premiere. The theater was full and Very into the movie. I saw it again yesterday (subbed) to a less packed but good-sized crowd that wasn't as animated (except for That Scene in which I did, under my breath, mutter YAAAAASSS followed by two deliberate hand claps sorry haha jk I'm Not).

I actually got more out of it watching it a second time! Dub premiere was a straight-up party in the theater tbh. Which was fun! I also love hearing voice direction, acting, and casting choices because that's kinda my thing, so I didn't quite catch a lot of what was being said in the more intense or moving scenes over the roars from dudes and squeals from ladies. Power to them, though! The best theater experience is when you're with a crowd of like-minded folk just having a blast, imo. (I'm the oddball for thinking I could actually study a movie as crazy as this one at its premiere tbh)

All that said, I'm seeing it again today, dubbed, because I missed the first 10 minutes of that and really love NYAV Post's work. I'm happy for Promare! for a limited release like that, it made some good money!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
#Synaesthesia wrote:
I saw the dub on Tuesday and I still can't get the opening song "Inferno" out of my head. I absolutely loved this movie.

That song was way too catchy!

Got to see the dub Tuesday as well and had a blast. The dub was fantastic and the theater was almost entirely full despite how rarely we seem to get these so I didn't have much of any idea what to expect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1