• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best And Worst Anime Of Summer 2019

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Fire Force is definitely not the best, but it's far to be the worst!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Best -
Vinland Saga

Runner-up -
Kimetsu no Yaiba

Worst -
To the abandoned sacred beasts

I was going to drop Fire Force until Benimaru showed up. He seems like an interesting guy and I can’t wait to see more of him.

Dr. Stone improved once Taiju and Yuzuhira left the scene...

I’m not sure how to feel about Astra Lost in Space. The story was interesting but some of it didn’t make any sense... Also, I found some of the characters annoying.
asneakysnake

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:27 pm Reply with quote
the seething hatred for fire force lol

Best-
Machikado Mazoku/Demon Girl Next Door

Runner up-
Granbelm

Worst-
Okaasan Online
Grimvice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:28 pm Reply with quote
You know, seriously.

The hate for Fire Force is kinda ridiculous. A show that looks THAT good anyway would always be leagues above the same-y seasonal trash trash appears all the time.

And, probably an unpopular opinion, Fire Force as a series is LEAGUES better than Soul Eater. Fire Force has a better realized world, its characters are far deeper, the abilities and rules of the world make more sense, and while Fire Force has its problems, Soul Eater had WAY more annoying characters and just as much if not more obnoxious fanservice.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:43 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely loved Fruits Basket and Granbelm is right there with it. I really liked Fire force and Cop Craft but that is me tho. Also Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace note was a favorite of mine as well as Demon Slayer.

Best=Fruits Basket and Granbelm
Runner up= Fire Force and Demon Slayer
Really Good=Cop Craft and Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files: Rail Zeppelin Grace note
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Best
Best

Astra Lost in Space

Runner-up -
Lord El-Melloi Case Files

Worst
Arifuerta

Honorable Mentions
Dr.Stone and Maou-Sama Retry

I have to say this summer season has not been bad not exactly the best ever but it had its fair share of good titles, i had trouble deciding best summer title between Astra and Dr.Stone however since the later still is not complete i gave it to Astra as that series defintly proved to be a surpise sleep hit for me.

Arifuerta is just a horrible of a mess.

Maou-Sama retry was fun to watch in a classic B-Movie sort of way,
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the formula of two-dimensional characters and LN plotting that had found them success.

Talk about not giving a show the credit it deserves lol

Anyway I watched only one anime this season to completion and that was Hensuki, thanks to it's impeccable ability to avoid making me think. It's stupid and trashy garbage, aware of it's identity as stupid and trashy garbage, and fully committed to the role of being stupid and trashy garbage. Combine that with solidly funny dialogue and bizarrely competent direction that clashes hilariously with sloppy visuals, and you have a fun time.

My favorite probably would've been Granbelm if I watched it, but no one else was so it's not like I'd have anyone to discuss it with.

Least favorite is probably a tie between Demon Slayer and Fire Force. Neither are godawful, but both are marred by irritating characters and shallow writing that no amount of stunning production values can obfuscate.

Runner-up is definitely Arifureta.
Nutaris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Grimvice wrote:
You know, seriously.

The hate for Fire Force is kinda ridiculous. A show that looks THAT good anyway would always be leagues above the same-y seasonal trash trash appears all the time.

And, probably an unpopular opinion, Fire Force as a series is LEAGUES better than Soul Eater. Fire Force has a better realized world, its characters are far deeper, the abilities and rules of the world make more sense, and while Fire Force has its problems, Soul Eater had WAY more annoying characters and just as much if not more obnoxious fanservice.

The bolded parts are precisely why there is so much hate for Fire Force. It looks fantastic and has some very interesting world building going on. However, all of this was undercut by the incredibly juvenile fan service and poor treatment of the female cast. It showed us a wonder glimpse of what could have been in the first two episodes, then completely destroys it. This obviously didn't go over well with a lot of people, myself included.
Kirki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
I can't find it in me to say that the summer season wasn't a disappointing one. There was nothing... epic in it, nothing that moved me, nothing that one could call special. For best, I think I will pick Kimetsu no Yaiba, because it was the best adaptation of an already nice story, despite all of its occasional shortcomings. Vinland Saga has spent half of its run in just setup, it's a good story but sadly it has yet to show something truly engaging or impactful. Fruits Basket, yes, it was good, but not my personal cup of tea.

I pick Lord Ell Melloi's Files as the worst because it was the only series I completed that felt like a chore even though it had its good moments - non sensical mumbo jumbo magic Fate stuff is something I'm never going the same mistake of following through again, especially in a supposedly detective-mystery series, emphasis on suppossedly. It killed all the fun.

I think the fact that lot of people are complaining is because the series that marketed themselves as the next "big" ones did not live up to the task. It still baffles me what one could expect out of Dr. Stone though, a series specifically designed to make the school subject of science look COOL in the eyes of primary school kids. That, along with the fact that Fire Force turned out to be a waste of David Production's energy, a flamboyant Fairy Tail, well, it's understandable that it might be getting more... flaming than it actually deserves, but a beautiful potato will not change the fact that it will always remain a potato.

Waiting next season for the good stuff with fingers crossed.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that no one mentioned the masterpiece of bad animation that is Try Knights, a show I force myself to watch every Tuesday just because it's about rugby. It's hard to find a single frame in any given episode that doesn't look like crap, and it makes Cop Craft look like it was animated by Bones.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also really nice to finally see them free of spending so much time animating FATE exposition and instead bring Gotoge's art to life

Confused
There's different teams working on those projects: KnY was in pre-production for a long time (and has a relatively small team) - Heaven's Feel 2 was produced simultaneously with production of KnY.
If you meant it overall - Ufotable wasn't produce solely type-moon works all those years: God Eater, Tales of, Touken Ranbu... All those TV anime projects were made after UBW TV.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Pleased to see other acknowledgements of The Demon Girl Next Door, which is probably this season's most pleasant surprise for me. I'm hoping to get a series review done for that one before the Preview Guide starts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Best: Onegai Muscle!!!

Runner-up: Demon Slayer

Honorable mentions: Vinland saga, Maidens, and Granbelm

Worst: CopCraft
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
I've only watched Vinldand Saga and Granbelm this season, so i can not have a best, runner up and worst.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Best: GRANBELM and Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 2. Both for very different reasons, but both were 10/10 for me.

Runner-Up:
Astra Lost in Space, Fruits Basket 1st season

Fruits Basket 1st season
's only issues for me was that it jumped around between characters a bit too quickly, too much. But it was fantastic otherwise.

Worst
: Excluding complete TRASH that I dropped like Maou-sama Retry, the biggest let-down was probably Okaa-san and DanMachi S2.

"Machikado Mazoku" was really good, but it's exactly what I expected after reading the synopsis and I felt it dragged a lot of themes a bit long. I had it at 9/10 the first few episodes but it ended up 8/10 for me due to how long certain plot elements took and how repetitive a lot of it was in the end. I love Yuuko, though, and I'd love to see her again in a 2nd season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6