• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kōsaku Anakubo's Pocket Monsters Manga Ends After 23 Years

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, this manga may be ending, but we all know Pokemon Adventures by Hidenori Kusaka will always go on. It helps that its popularity got a huge boost in recent years thanks to Viz Media's re-releases and finally getting around to releasing everything after Kanto.
ballinamon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
And never f*cking come back
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, in comparison to every other Pokemon manga this one gets so little coverage in the states that I had assumed it had ended years ago. I'm curious how they might have incorporated the other generations.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:09 pm Reply with quote
What do you mean it hadn't ended already? I've never seen anything about it beyond the first moments of the first generation.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Jeez, in comparison to every other Pokemon manga this one gets so little coverage in the states that I had assumed it had ended years ago. I'm curious how they might have incorporated the other generations.

It's a gag manga that runs in Corocoro comics. Probably not much market for gag manga in the west. But in Japan it's the most recognizable Pokemon manga, as well as the longest running as well as being the first manga adaption. It was even reference in the anime at one point. It's been running since 1996 in Corocoro and the only other manga thats older than it is the Super Mario-kun manga. Kind of a big deal it's ending even if it's relatively unknown in the west outside of that page where Red gets his testicles grabbed and stretched
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:07 pm Reply with quote
That cover is what nightmares are mad of
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:54 am Reply with quote
The end of an era Crying or Very sad I don't read this one, but I always see bits and pieces of it, so somehow it's very nostalgic.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:56 am Reply with quote
Now that it's complete, I wouldn't mind Viz doing omnibus releases for this... With that note, a re-release of The Electric Tale of Pikachu and Magical Pokemon Journey would be nice...
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:23 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Now that it's complete, I wouldn't mind Viz doing omnibus releases for this... With that note, a re-release of The Electric Tale of Pikachu and Magical Pokemon Journey would be nice...

Viz should need first to censor this manga first before they can be published in the North America because this manga has tons of toilet humor and profanity content.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:25 am Reply with quote
The end of the longest and running Pokemon manga, i hope Pokemon Adventures can surpass Pokemon Gag Manga as the longest-running one.

Losing one Pokemon anime that has been run since 1996, as well as the crazy Pokemon popularity that started this year was a huge loss. I mean, this manga is not really well known and not recognizable by the west just because it is a gag manga.
teferi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Aca Vuksa wrote:
Sheleigha wrote:

Viz should need first to censor this manga first before they can be published in the North America because this manga has tons of toilet humor and profanity content.

I doubt this would get released under an imprint where they'd need to censor it. If anything that's probably why it'll never see release. It's too long and there's not enough people that would buy it.
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:05 am Reply with quote
@teferi

Yes, censorship is needing for the western release. But this manga is extremely long on how this is ever get translated remains unclear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1