• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, October 21-27

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 am Reply with quote
How popular is Call of Duty in Japan?
omegafinal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am Reply with quote
Maybe more of a behind the scenes thing, when did Activision get back Japanese publishing right for Call of Duty? Square-Enix usually handled it over there. Unless they still are and they are only listing the developer. (But then, 505 Games is Bloodstained's publisher, so...)
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:41 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:

I remember years ago it used to do 300K at launch. 100K seems a bit low. Popularity must be waning or they just don't have as much interest in this one for whatever reason.

But it's always had it's audience in Japan thanks to survival gamers and gun otaku.
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:23 pm Reply with quote
omegafinal wrote:
Maybe more of a behind the scenes thing, when did Activision get back Japanese publishing right for Call of Duty? Square-Enix usually handled it over there. Unless they still are and they are only listing the developer. (But then, 505 Games is Bloodstained's publisher, so...)

The publisher info in the article is incorrect. Activision didn't publish Modern Warfare 2019 on PS4. Square Enix hasn't published Call of Duty games in Japan for a few years now, either. They're published by Sony on PlayStation platforms. Microsoft used to do the same for the Xbox versions, but it seems they're download-only now in Japan, so Activision self-published it.

(505 Games didn't self-published Bloodstained in Japan either, it's was co-published by Game Source Entertainment.)
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:17 am Reply with quote
I always wonder how the Japanese gun otaku audience takes to the stories of the Apolitical Warfare games or are they just in it for the online modes. To think that a game that recreates Benghazi of all things can get universal praise and though the roof stales around the world. The world of gaming is clearly its own thing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:41 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I always wonder how the Japanese gun otaku audience takes to the stories of the Apolitical Warfare games or are they just in it for the online modes. To think that a game that recreates Benghazi of all things can get universal praise and though the roof stales around the world. The world of gaming is clearly its own thing.

Does anyone care about the 5-hour story campaign in a Call of Duty game? Pretty sure most people just play it for the multiplayer part. I get the feeling they just have a story mode because they're required to, or to let the game have some way to play it after everyone moves on to next year's game for multiplayer.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:

I remember years ago it used to do 300K at launch. 100K seems a bit low. Popularity must be waning or they just don't have as much interest in this one for whatever reason.

But it's always had it's audience in Japan thanks to survival gamers and gun otaku.

nice av/post combo

sorry i had to do it ya Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:

Does anyone care about the 5-hour story campaign in a Call of Duty game?

Yes actually.

Crispy45 wrote:
Pretty sure most people just play it for the multiplayer part. I get the feeling they just have a story mode because they're required to,

With Black Ops jettisoning it and the last few Battlefield games essentially using it's single player modes to serve as tutorials for the multiplayer mode. It's not really a requirement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1