• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
All-New Free! Anime Film Delayed From Summer 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 am Reply with quote
Noooooo this was what I looked forward to most. Free was life changing and just as responsible for who i am as naruto was. Rin was so relatable and haru too. Sharkbait

Hope it's just fall.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:20 am Reply with quote
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that they've got carte blanche to move the release dates for any and all pre-arson projects to Whenever They Damn Well Want.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:39 am Reply with quote
They can take all the time they need, at least they confirmed the movie is still happening. Literally no one should be upset about this, considering KyoAni's circumstances.
Crabtree1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:39 am Reply with quote
I will wait until the ends of the earth for this movie, Kyoto Animation. Please, take your time.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:19 am Reply with quote
I’m happy to wait however long it takes, but this will undoubtedly be a huge financial blow to KyoAni Sad the fact that this movie was probably going to heavily involve the Olympics means it really needed to come out Summer 2020 to capitalize on the hype as well as enjoy lucrative marketing opportunities, like Yuri on Ice timing its release with the RL Grabd Prix and doing cross-marketing with the Winter Olympics later.

I was really hoping they’d be able to make their initial deadline because so much of the movie is time-sensitive and never going to align again Sad super sad they weren’t able to pull off a miracle. That’s years and years of prep absolutely down the drain. Talk about getting kicked while they’re down.
pirateaddict
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 am Reply with quote
I'll admit to being disappointed that it couldn't have the release that KyoAni wanted but I don't think it's any surprise that they're delaying it. I'll wait as long as it takes, I'm really looking forward to watching this, I love the Free! franchise.
British Racing Green

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Whilst it is sad (yet totally understandable) that this film will not be out in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, I am here to say that the 2021 World Aquatics (swimming, diving, water polo etc) Championships are being held in Fukuoka. Perhaps it will be out in time for that.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I was afraid they were going to cancel this movie, since one of the arson casualties was Futoshi Nishiya, whose character designs were integral to this franchise's success. While I think Free should have ended with season two, here's hoping this movie will be a big hit for KyoAni.
Acrylic6

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:23 am Reply with quote
fencer_x wrote:
I’m happy to wait however long it takes, but this will undoubtedly be a huge financial blow to KyoAni Sad the fact that this movie was probably going to heavily involve the Olympics means it really needed to come out Summer 2020 to capitalize on the hype as well as enjoy lucrative marketing opportunities, like Yuri on Ice timing its release with the RL Grabd Prix and doing cross-marketing with the Winter Olympics later.

I was really hoping they’d be able to make their initial deadline because so much of the movie is time-sensitive and never going to align again Sad super sad they weren’t able to pull off a miracle. That’s years and years of prep absolutely down the drain. Talk about getting kicked while they’re down.

I agree that this will be a big hit for Free! success. As much as I am disappointed that it cannot be released to coincide with summer olympics, it is what it is. Just pray that it can still be successful later on.
ravager

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:27 am Reply with quote
British Racing Green wrote:
I am here to say that the 2021 World Aquatics (swimming, diving, water polo etc) Championships are being held in Fukuoka. Perhaps it will be out in time for that.

Nice catch. That's something to look forward to! Maybe we'll get a Free! x FINA collab, movie-related or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1