• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sword/Shield Games' 'Final' Promo Video Streamed (Update)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:01 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
My Pokecenter preorder claimed it will arrive on the 15th or possibly 16th, so presumably they'll ship before then. That's how these things usually work, anyway. Somebody in a Twitch chat claimed they got theirs already... whoops!

Also what in the heck is that... dude?... in the thumbnail for the second video? Galarian Mr. Mime?
RoverTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 pm Reply with quote
It looks really bad. They cut not only a bunch of Pokémon but a bunch of moves also. There is also just a bunch of bad design of the outside areas, the towns look really cool. The game is also the easiest yet to the point of it’s hard to not one shot gym leaders. The animations also look like they aren’t improved at all and are just the 3ds ones.

First time ever I am not preordering a Pokémon game. Let alone buying it.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 pm Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
First time ever I am not preordering a Pokémon game. Let alone buying it.

My first was Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon given how disappointed I was in the originals.

Sword and Shield having less Pokemon than the Gen 4 Diamond and Pearl games for the DS is pretty disappointing, but at the same time it's still going to sell well thanks to brand name alone so I doubt Game Freak will ever really be put in a position where they have to step up their game or face consequences.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:51 am Reply with quote
RoverTX wrote:
The game is also the easiest yet to the point of it’s hard to not one shot gym leaders.

How can you possibly know that several days before it comes out? Pokemon games have never had a reputation for serious difficulty, anyway; they're kid-friendly RPG-collectathons. That's why people who want a tough challenge do Nuzlockes and such.

If you aren't sure if you'll like it, there's obviously no need to preorder it, but all this negativity is getting a little silly. No other franchise is expected to always include absolutely everything from every previous entry and a bunch of new content. Most people don't go to the increasingly-convoluted trouble to import all the past mons to the current gen, anyway. Can we maybe just see if the new games are fun, and judge them on that?
katosen27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
RoverTX wrote:
The game is also the easiest yet to the point of it’s hard to not one shot gym leaders.

How can you possibly know that several days before it comes out? Pokemon games have never had a reputation for serious difficulty, anyway; they're kid-friendly RPG-collectathons. That's why people who want a tough challenge do Nuzlockes and such.

If you aren't sure if you'll like it, there's obviously no need to preorder it, but all this negativity is getting a little silly. No other franchise is expected to always include absolutely everything from every previous entry and a bunch of new content. Most people don't go to the increasingly-convoluted trouble to import all the past mons to the current gen, anyway. Can we maybe just see if the new games are fun, and judge them on that?

First off; it's 2019. Geeks and nerd are salty and they analyze the ever loving hell out of information given and not given. Second, it's 2019. The games have been leaked and datamining already started.

I thought it was getting silly, too. Then I saw clips from the game from those who already got it.

Yeah. No. Completely valid criticisms. They couldn't be assed to make a proper turning animation for their box-art pokemon during 'dramatic' cutscenes. At what point do I say it's okay to spend $60 on that when 'better animations' is the excuse for making the first initial controversy that is Dexit?!

And yes, Pokemon isn't challenging. But putting rails (EXP share perma-on with no way to turn off) on an already easy game does not make anything good nor anyone happy. You CAN'T nuzlocke a game with that kind of rail-roading. Not if you want a challenge.
Maukadragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:37 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Also what in the heck is that... dude?... in the thumbnail for the second video? Galarian Mr. Mime?

spoiler[That’s Mr Rime, its Mr Mime’s new evolution]
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:51 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
Pokemon games have never had a reputation for serious difficulty, anyway; they're kid-friendly RPG-collectathons. That's why people who want a tough challenge do Nuzlockes and such.

True that, never met a Pokemon game I couldn't just use my starter from start to end and steamroll every gym and trainer I met Laughing

Quote:
No other franchise is expected to always include absolutely everything from every previous entry and a bunch of new content.

Gotta disagree with this comment though. If it's not possible to bring over content, then it kinda makes it bad game design. This time around, so many Pokemon have unique Gigantmax forms and rely on it to be usable. All it basically means is next set of games is going to make all those Pokemon useless since Gigantmaxing wont be in it like Mega Evolutions and Z moves got dropped.

Personally I think GF aren't very good developers Little Town Hero kinda shows what their limits are when they don't have a popular IP to hide behind and you have to judge a game on its own terms.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
katosen27 wrote:

And yes, Pokemon isn't challenging. But putting rails (EXP share perma-on with no way to turn off) on an already easy game does not make anything good nor anyone happy.

Ummmm being able to level up your entire party in an efficient manner is actually a good thing and will make people who actually remember how tedious leveling up multiple teams of 5-6 Pokemon happy. Should it be an optional feature? probably, but it's not really a deal breaker especially for people who don't have the time or patience to go slaughtering whatever is the equivalent of Audino or a group of Floatzels in this game multiple times over.

RoverTX wrote:
It looks really bad. They cut not only a bunch of Pokémon

That's only really an issue for people who absolutely needed to have access to those pokemon. Everyone else is well aware that with the dex getting bloated something had to be trimmed. This is on top of the fact you won't be capturing the majority of those Pokemon in the game anyway.

DavetheUsher wrote:

Gotta disagree with this comment though. If it's not possible to bring over content, then it kinda makes it bad game design.

I mean they're are plenty of games that are followups to other games and many of them don't let you carry over certain things from preceding titles. Life goes on for those titles and their fanbase.

AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Sword and Shield having less Pokemon than the Gen 4 Diamond and Pearl games for the DS is pretty disappointing, but at the same time it's still going to sell well thanks to brand name alone so I doubt Game Freak will ever really be put in a position where they have to step up their game or face consequences.

I mean Pokemon Green had issues with it's sprites that were so bad they touched them up in Red & Blue. I think it's a premature to assume that they won't look at some of the issues with this game and not improve upon or fix them for whatever is the next game in the pipeline.
matt78

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Ummmm being able to level up your entire party in an efficient manner is actually a good thing and will make people who actually remember how tedious leveling up multiple teams of 5-6 Pokemon happy. Should it be an optional feature? probably, but it's not really a deal breaker especially for people who don't have the time or patience to go slaughtering whatever is the equivalent of Audino or a group of Floatzels in this game multiple times over.

From what I read its really bad though. If what I heard was true your Pokemon get over leveled just by battling the trainers without any grinding. One of the leakers supposedly took out an entire gym leaders team with just 3 attacks.
katosen27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:01 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Exactly, it should be that; optional. This, however, isn't an optional mechanic. It will allow you to overlevel really easily, where you are 5+ over the gym leaders. They aren't hard anyway, so making it cake easy like one of the leakers did by steam rolling over them ain't fun. And that, the lack of fun, IS a deal breaker for many.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
From what I read its really bad though. If what I heard was true your Pokemon get over leveled just by battling the trainers without any grinding. One of the leakers supposedly took out an entire gym leaders team with just 3 attacks.

So we taking it back to Gen 1 Gym Wrecking then.

katosen27 wrote:
Exactly, it should be that; optional. This, however, isn't an optional mechanic. It will allow you to overlevel really easily, where you are 5+ over the gym leaders. They aren't hard anyway, so making it cake easy like one of the leakers did by steam rolling over them ain't fun. And that, the lack of fun, IS a deal breaker for many.

But that's thing these games have never been remotely close to being challenging tedious maybe but never back breakingly difficult. So it seems kinda odd for people to complain about this like it's a new thing.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Judging by all the datamining and leaks people have been doing the past week, I think these games have more important issues than EXP share always being on.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to just wait till the game is out and judge for myself how I feel about the game but that's just me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1