• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Actor Rene Auberjonois Passes Away at 79

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:51 pm Reply with quote
I used to watch Mr. Auberjonois and the rest of the cast on "Deep Space 9" with the folks back in the day, and he was Chef Louis in Disney's "The Little Mermaid", which I adored as a kid.

I'm pouting over this more than I probably should; it's been ages since I've seen the show or the movie. But it still sucks that he's no longer with us.

May what was mortal of Mr. Auberjonois know rest and peace, and may what was immortal of him know the wonders beyond the veil, whatever they are. May his loved ones know healing in the days to come.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I remember him from 'Benson', which I watched semi-regularly as it aired and in reruns, and in DS9, which I watched only occasionally as it aired (I was more of a Babylon 5 fan as far as space station-based shows went :) . I'm not sure if I ever came across him anywhere else, but I feel sad that he's gone...
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:18 am Reply with quote
Another anime connection was his voicing of King Haggard in Last Unicorn (animation by Top Craft). But I think he really breathed life into Odo. Sad to think we can only enjoy his performances in recordings now, he was always an original. Crying or Very sad
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Another anime connection was his voicing of King Haggard in Last Unicorn (animation by Top Craft).

King Haggard was Christopher Lee, Rene Auberjonois was the Skull in the cellar who guards the entrance to the Red Bull's lair. Peter S. Beagle the author of The Last Unicorn original book and I think screenwriter for the movie too was impressed by Auberjonois though, in his 2007 edition of the original book he apparently said "he could have played any role in that movie and I would have been happy ... He's that talented."

He has played lots of voice parts over the years like The Mechanist in Avatar: The Last Airbender and various voices in the Bruce Timm / Paul Dini DC Animated Universe. He was a fantastic actor and will be missed Sad
Doc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:18 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I remember him from 'Benson'

That's the role I knew him best from and from which I always remembered him when he would pop up in other things.
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:02 am Reply with quote
To me he'll always be Janos Audron from The Legacy of Kain video game series. He did other great roles too.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Yet another talented actor will sadly be missed, I'll always remember him as Professor Genius and especially can't forget the Skull.
Artanis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
2019 is a sad year for Star Trek Deep Space Nine and the world.
We lost Aron Eisenberg last September (he played Nog) and now we lost René Auberjonois (he played Odo). As a long time Star Trek fan, specially Deep Space Nine, I'm very sad.

I loved René in other shows as well, like Boston Legal or Warehouse 13. May he rest in the Great Link....
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Artanis wrote:
We lost Aron Eisenberg last September (he played Nog) and now we lost René Auberjonois (he played Odo). As a long time Star Trek fan, specially Deep Space Nine, I'm very sad.

I loved René in other shows as well, like Boston Legal or Warehouse 13. May he rest in the Great Link....

Trek fans also lost D. C. Fontana recently too.

René also voiced the lab director who becomes Blockbuster in the Young Justice launch, as well as several other voices from around animation.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I remember him from Benson and of course Deep space 9.Star trek fans have been hit recently hard from loss of people who were associated with the series.Just saddened me.I never got to meet him.I wish i did.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Artanis wrote:

Trek fans also lost D. C. Fontana recently too.

And Robert Walker Jr. (“Charlie X”), AND Marina Sirtis’ husband (who also had a small guest role or two on TNG). That’s four in about a week.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:25 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
...King Haggard was Christopher Lee, Rene Auberjonois was the Skull in the cellar who guards the entrance to the Red Bull's lair....
Holy cow, he had a range and I stand corrected!
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:40 am Reply with quote
How sad that Mr. Auberjonois is gone. He was a great actor and he'll be missed. I remember him from a number of TV shows and movies. Not just "The Last Unicorn,"but also from "Star Trek:Deep Space 9" and so much else. It's a shame he'll no longer be here.

RIP Mr. Auberjonois. You'll be missed by so many. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1