• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Mappy New Year!

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:48 pm Reply with quote
-The other thing people started thinking about the Xenosaga HD remasters not happening were that if Monolith Soft were to get involved, then there'd be a strong possibility of the remasters being Switch-exclusives, and therefore harder to make a profit on, since Nintendo has owned Monolith Soft since 2007; in fact, Xenosaga Episode III is Monolith's final non-Nintendo game. Personally, while I'm sure that would have been a possibility, Bandai Namco is the company that owns Xenosaga, so who knows if that would have been a possibility, though it is worth mentioning that anything involving Xenosaga since Ep III has only happened on Nintendo-made systems.

At the very least, Harada did say that he'd ask about the chances of a Project X Zone 3, since the producer is on the same floor as him, so that's neat.

-Kind of weird to not mention Koji Inada & Riku Sanjo at all during the Dragon Quest Dai coverage, though. Sure, Horii & Toriyama are the main names for the series, but neither of them had anything to do with Dai, so to word it as though it was created by them is kind of disingenuous, even if unintentional.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, beet the vandel buster is not totally unknown and the other guy is still writing manga, currently kamen rider.
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a hard sci-fi slant

Sorry if this is nitpicky, but "heavy" might be a better word choice as Hard Sci-Fi is an actual sub-genre.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully, the Gunslinger Stratos port is for consoles and not Xbox One exclusive.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Back in the day, American companies licensed arcade games from Japanese companies like Namco. I remember a story from a video game magazine at the time about Mappy that went something like this. Midway and Atari were both licensing Namco games, but since Midway had been in the relationship longer, they got first pick of Namco’s upcoming games. And because they’d had such a hit with Pac-Man, they went with the cuteness of Mappy, which left Atari to make do with… Pole Position. Which ended up being a much bigger hit than the quickly-forgotten Micro Police mouse.

No idea if it’s true or not, but fun story.

Quote:
…a panel all about obscure Taito arcade games on Sunday at 10 AM.

I hope you’re covering Space Dungeon. It’s a rare non-US example of the dual-joystick game (compare to Robotron: 2084 and Smash TV).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:32 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
And because they’d had such a hit with Pac-Man, they went with the cuteness of Mappy, which left Atari to make do with… Pole Position. Which ended up being a much bigger hit than the quickly-forgotten Micro Police mouse.

Pole Position got so big no one remembers anything about the game other than it being rereleased in various Namco collections.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 am Reply with quote
"Xenosaga News: there is no Xenosaga news" ):
Key

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:33 am Reply with quote
Oh, I remember Mappy quite well. It was probably the arcade game that I was best at back in the heyday of arcades in the States. Its movement mechanic was a bit different than anything else out on the market
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:35 pm Reply with quote
There were a few other animal mascot arcade games from the same general era as Mappy with the most famous probably being Frogger. Some less-remembered ones include Sun Electronic/Atari's Kangaroo, which, like Frogger, had a short-lived cartoon segment on the CBS Saturday morning cartoon Saturday Supercade, and Bentley Bear from Atari's Crystal Castles, an early isometric view maze game.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad someone else remembers Mappy. Here in South America Famicom clones were popular even in the late 90s and early 00s and I got one with one of those 9999-in-1 cartridges, which were mostly early Famicom games repeated over and over again to fill space, but there were some cool Namco games like Galaxian, Galaga, Battle City, Pole Position and Mappy. Mappy's gameplay was kind of difficult but the music was catchy and the concept fun, I also played the sequels Mappy-land and Mappy Kids. It's a shame that Bandai Namco doesn't seem to care about the classic aracade games they created in the 80s with the exception of Pac-Man, and maybe Galaga, the Namco Museum compilations are fine but sometimes I feel like some games are missing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1