• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Take Draws Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out! Manga for 2nd Blood Donation Drive Campaign

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Good to see that they continued with the Uzaki blood donation since from what I have read that blood donation drive was a huge success. There was absolutely nothing controversial about that first poster and the idea that a busty character design is "background sexual harassment" is the type of communist nonsense that should be ignored. Human lives matter a great deal more than a few people getting offended because they see a poster of Uzaki.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:54 pm Reply with quote
A female character that happens to be designed with big breasts is not "sexual harassment", what is Ōta even going on about?
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:29 pm Reply with quote
"I'm not gonna donate blood and potentially save lives because I'm mildly inconvenienced by a piece of artwork!"

That's what I'm hearing from all the people crying controversy.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Good to see that they continued with the Uzaki blood donation since from what I have read that blood donation drive was a huge success. There was absolutely nothing controversial about that first poster and the idea that a busty character design is "background sexual harassment" is the type of communist nonsense that should be ignored. Human lives matter a great deal more than a few people getting offended because they see a poster of Uzaki.

Communist?
Crispy45

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:00 am Reply with quote
Japan is in on a constant state of blood shortages so blood drives are very important. It's always good when they find a way to drum up interest and participation. It's a very serious issue over there.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:06 am Reply with quote
If they used less sexualised imagery, they'd have less nose bleeds and therefore less need of blood donations.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:25 am Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Communist?

Communist partly because of the idea that human lives were less important than her being offended by a tame poster and partly because she is a far left lawyer that retweets communists on her Twitter feed. The controversy was mostly from some westerners that noticed her tweets and jumped at the chance to lecture Japan about sexism. The problem was that this was one of the worst examples I have ever seen to deliver that lecture because the poster was completely tame and it was for a blood drive that literally saves lives.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
Communist?

... the poster was completely tame and it was for a blood drive that literally saves lives.

Tame? AHAHAHAHAHA

You're either blind or salty. Or both. Either way, I'm glad someone said something. It's a blood drive where people DONATE blood, not a risque shounen manga store.

If you want blood down there, go browse rule34 or search for your hentai. There's a time and place for everything and that poster was out of place at a blood drive.

Kind of like how hospitals don't have that kind of stuff hanging from the walls but sperm banks have photographic material to assist the donators.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy they continue the campaign. The manga is funny and light-hearted. It has a lot of fans too, so if it entices a lot of them to donate blood, everyone wins.

I'm not sure why people twist themselves into a knot over it, the image is not offending in any way. Ōta was way out of line.
One could debate about body proportions, but caricatures in newspapers and such aren't exactly adhering to the classical form either, and I bet most people have read their fair share of those. It's just a matter of style... Confused
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Sobe wrote:

No, 'nuff said.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
One could debate about body proportions, but caricatures in newspapers and such aren't exactly adhering to the classical form either, and I bet most people have read their fair share of those. It's just a matter of style... Confused

Sad thing is real life models ended up being harassed and body shamed and sent death threats over this and speaking up about it because they were deemed too busty themselves and were being asked to quit modeling. Kinda crazy.

At least everything worked out in the end and we're getting another one. Never give into bullies, I always say.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:39 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
"I'm not gonna donate blood and potentially save lives because I'm mildly inconvenienced by a piece of artwork!"

That's what I'm hearing from all the people crying controversy.

Once again as was said in the other thread when this weird argument came up in.

If you decide to only donate blood because you see a cutout of a busty female character from a manga,that says more about the absurdity of people than just choosing of your own free will to donate blood.

Now if they had done this at a sperm bank that would've made far more sense especially funny in light of the Japanese's well known problem of low birthrates. But doing this at Blood drive How does any of that make sense?

Chrono1000 wrote:

Communist partly because of the idea that human lives were less important than her being offended by a tame poster and partly because she is a far left lawyer that retweets communists on her Twitter feed.

The basic tenement of Communism is that there is no private property. Don't know what being opposed to this has to do with that.

Chrono1000 wrote:
The controversy was mostly from some westerners that noticed her tweets and jumped at the chance to lecture Japan about sexism.

.....A country that has such a well known issue with sexism to they once bristled at the thought of having a female empress?.....made all the more funny by the fact that the monarchy in japan has no true power.

DavetheUsher wrote:

You'd forgive some of us if we question the veracity of these claims over the simple fact that tweet is entirely in Japanese.........which most people here can't read?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If you decide to only donate blood because you see a cutout of a busty female character from a manga,that says more about the absurdity of people than just choosing of your own free will to donate blood.

It's called drumming up interest. You know, advertising. If you do a TV commercial for example, would rather have a well-known actor, like Tommy Lee Jones or Arnold Schwarzenegger, be in it? Or would you rather pick someone straight of the street? Try guess which one will bring more exposure...
In the same way they used a female lead from a popular manga to help get exposure to their efforts to get blood.

So she's busty? So are a lot of real life people. They aren't worth less for that...
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:10 pm Reply with quote
@Chrono1000,

You have been warned previously about soapboxing your political biases. I'm putting you on indefinite moderation.

In this case they are especially unwarranted, being both irrelevant and laughably absurd.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
It's called drumming up interest.

Actually in this context the closest approximation would be playing to the base.

Blanchimont wrote:
You know, advertising. If you do a TV commercial for example, would rather have a well-known actor, like Tommy Lee Jones or Arnold Schwarzenegger, be in it? Or would you rather pick someone straight of the street? Try guess which one will bring more exposure...

I don't know but I'm pretty sure in the U.S. people would donate blood regardless of whether a famous actor is encouraging them to do so.

Blanchimont wrote:

So she's busty? So are a lot of real life people.

Did you miss the part where I said using a busty female character to promote something like donating sperm would make more sense as opposed to using the same kind of character to encourage people to donate blood.

They used a character who known largely for her huge breasts to encourage people to donate blood.......that's the issue here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2