• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Goblin Slayer: Goblin's Crown

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:19 pm Reply with quote
So this is fresh in my mind as I have been re-reading the past volumes due to the amount of time that lapsed between releases. I finished Vol 5 less then 2 weeks ago, and it does sound like this movie or OVA covers the events that transpire on the snow mountain.

In some part I do agree that this is not the strongest story arc for Goblin slayer, as I also felt the timeline of events even by books standards was not paced appropriately. I often felt that the author was attempting to wrap the Noble Fencer story up in 1 book and the ending suffered greatly because of it.

On the flip side this is probably the most amount of hack and slash action that the novels cover after the initial Water town story so its understandable why this was chosen.

spoiler[Honestly though I would have liked to see the conclusion of the Watertown arc animated.. The events of the Dark elf and Rogue Rhea would have fit nicely into a movie or OVA format.]

{Mod Edit}: Leave out the passive aggressive and snarky comments and emoticons. ~ Psycho 101
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The big goblin boss this time is able to use magic, a feat which was previously believed only to be available to the human-like races.
Wait, doesn't Goblin Slayer fight a Goblin Shaman really early on? Either when he first meets Priestess or in Year One?
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
spoiler[Honestly though I would have liked to see the conclusion of the Watertown arc animated.. The events of the Dark elf and Rogue Rhea would have fit nicely into a movie or OVA format.]

Which arc would that be because IIRC that arc concluded in the anime. spoiler[Vol 3 is where the Dark Elf features, vol 4 is a collection of short stories, vol 5 is the OVA, vol 6 features the Negi Springfield expy, vol 7 is the elf forest, vol 8 features the princess rescue] and vol 9 being the most recent released in English. But I agree the events of spoiler[vol 3] would have been the better choice to adapt.

Quote:
The big goblin boss this time is able to use magic, a feat which was previously believed only to be available to the human-like races.

Its been established that goblins can use magic long before the OVA/Vol 5 by means of goblin shamans. The big bad here is similar to what spoiler[Priestess or Sword Maiden is in that he can use miracles granted by gods hence why he's referred to as a goblin Paladin].

Quote:
the story felt like a middle-of-the-road arc for the TV series

Thats kinda because it is at least if it were adapted as part of the TV series instead of as an OVA. No denying that its ridiculously condensed and so many things were skipped over or changed.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:12 pm Reply with quote
@GhostD
spoiler[The anime wraps up the initial part of Water Town, but does not cover the harvest festival, the Rogue Rhea, or the Dark Elf behind the whole water town incident. ]

Vol 9 I believe just came out, I'm towards the end of my redo of Vol 6 and will then start 7. I cannot comment on 8 or 9 because I have not yet read them..
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
@GhostD
spoiler[The anime wraps up the initial part of Water Town, but does not cover the harvest festival, the Rogue Rhea, or the Dark Elf behind the whole water town incident. ]

Vol 9 I believe just came out, I'm towards the end of my redo of Vol 6 and will then start 7. I cannot comment on 8 or 9 because I have not yet read them..

It came out about 2 weeks ago
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:28 am Reply with quote
jacobian#906181 wrote:
Troll post removed

Sure sounded to me like the reviewer was familiar with the series.

As to whether she's right about it or not? Won't comment on that until I see it myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DarkEXE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
Saw the OVA. I gotta say that it's pretty boring and disappointing.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:38 am Reply with quote
DarkEXE wrote:
Saw the OVA. I gotta say that it's pretty boring and disappointing.

Its a movie. OVAs dont last over an hour. And while it was a little underwhelming seeing as they packed an entire LN vol into a 1 hr movie it wasnt that bad. If only they didn't dedicate over 25 mins to a flashback of the tv series it would have been better
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1