• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shirobako Promotes Real-Life Anime Industry Job Fairs

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomaszterkates

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Troll post removed
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:44 pm Reply with quote
i hate misplaced or deceiving optimism for the anime industry as far as working in it is concerned (people mistake that statement for production quality).

Working in the industry is a death sentence unless you were talented enough to be handpicked by Kyoto Animation. But now they're gone...
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:38 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
i hate misplaced or deceiving optimism for the anime industry as far as working in it is concerned (people mistake that statement for production quality).

Working in the industry is a death sentence unless you were talented enough to be handpicked by Kyoto Animation. But now they're gone...

Uh, no, they’re rebuilding slowly, no need to be pessimistic.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:55 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

it's not being pessimistic or edgy, they'll never be the same. And the sad part is, even considering their circumstances, they'll never escape the scrutiny of the toxic anime consumerdom that will continue to hate and spew bile.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching anime but I hate everything about its consumers and industry practices. That's why I take things like idealism, sentimentality, and optimism in regards to the industry pretty poorly.

But this is ALL my opinion so no need to feel like I'm trampling over you or anything.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:10 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

it's not being pessimistic or edgy, they'll never be the same. And the sad part is, even considering their circumstances, they'll never escape the scrutiny of the toxic anime consumerdom that will continue to hate and spew bile.

Don't get me wrong, I love watching anime but I hate everything about its consumers and industry practices. That's why I take things like idealism, sentimentality, and optimism in regards to the industry pretty poorly.

But this is ALL my opinion so no need to feel like I'm trampling over you or anything.

That’s a thing that bothers me, assuming that you know the future of them instead of waiting and seeing if they’ll be the same or not.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:50 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Kyoto Animation had bad working conditions too. I get they experienced a tragedy but you don't have to sugarcoat their own misdeeds.

Anime is a job of passion and love. It requires lots of sacrifice and work. Manga is the exact same way. Mangaka work most of the day and even with assistants helping them them. It's the very nature of being a starving artist and is why the mediums are so unique. These people are not slaves. They can quit any time they want and find another job at McDonalds or whatever people say pays better than grunt work in animation studios. But there's a reason they stick with anime and manga. They're creators and have passion for the work. I don't find anyone having optimism misplaced at all.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Kyoto Animation had bad working conditions too. I get they experienced a tragedy but you don't have to sugarcoat their own misdeeds.

Anime is a job of passion and love. It requires lots of sacrifice and work. Manga is the exact same way. Mangaka work most of the day and even with assistants helping them them. It's the very nature of being a starving artist and is why the mediums are so unique. These people are not slaves. They can quit any time they want and find another job at McDonalds or whatever people say pays better than grunt work in animation studios. But there's a reason they stick with anime and manga. They're creators and have passion for the work. I don't find anyone having optimism misplaced at all.

What about the statement that they treated their staff well? Was it a lie? Or you're just focusing on that one aspect? It comes across as whataboutism.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:16 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

What? The whole big deal about KyoAni and part of the reason the fire had such a massive impact is that KyoAni didn't have bad working conditions and were constantly working to improve them. That's the main reason everyone was scared of losing the studio and it shutting down.

Other than that, though.. yeah. I agree. Although we should 100% advocate for and work towards the betterment of working conditions, with the internet now especially people generally know what they're getting into. Treating them lke slaves and that they must hate working there is actually kind of insulting. As someone who's experienced video game dev cruch, I would never trade it for a, for lack of better word, 'normie' job just so I can get home earlier.
omoikane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Are you guys posting from some alternate universe?
The reason people are sad about Kyoani's attack was
1. it was a gruesome attack where lots of (young) people died
2. they made some great works.
The working condition at Kyoani may be comparatively better versus other companies, but it's still not well-paid for what you did. It beats the industry average but when the industry average is so bad, it doesn't mean much.

And the guy who is saying they're done can go bugger off. Kyoani will be back in full force, just a matter of time.
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:39 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
And the guy who is saying they're done can go bugger off. Kyoani will be back in full force, just a matter of time.

I don’t know, they lost an incredible amount of both seasoned and fresh talent in that fire (Takemoto, Kigami, Nishiya, etc). Given how they prefer to cultivate their talent in-house and tend to be very light on outsourcing, it is difficult to see how they can rebuild and maintain their legendary quality at the same time. Especially now, given the shortage of talent this career fair is highlighting to combat. I worry they will become like Madhouse/Gonzo/Gainax, a mere ghost of their former self, more than anything else.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:01 pm Reply with quote
omoikane wrote:
Are you guys posting from some alternate universe?
The reason people are sad about Kyoani's attack was
1. it was a gruesome attack where lots of (young) people died
2. they made some great works.
The working condition at Kyoani may be comparatively better versus other companies, but it's still not well-paid for what you did. It beats the industry average but when the industry average is so bad, it doesn't mean much.

Industry-wise. I pretty much assumed it being a tragedy went without saying, to be honest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1