• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: NHK's All Final Fantasy Poll Crowns Final Fantasy X as Best Game

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PonSquared

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Its hard to wrap my head around how X could be picked as the best game. Do not get me wrong, it is a goods game, but the best FF of all time?
ZestyLime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
It warms my heart to see a trashy gacha game at the bottom of the list Laughing
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:30 pm Reply with quote
ZestyLime wrote:
What about all FF13 sequels and all Dissidias behind another trashy gacha game though... Very Happy

Last edited by WANNFH on Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psajdak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:32 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
Its hard to wrap my head around how X could be picked as the best game. Do not get me wrong, it is a goods game, but the best FF of all time?
While I too am surprised FFX won, and not, FFVII, I don't think one can just describe FFX as good game, when it is one amazing JRPG experience with all its good, and bad sides.

And I say this as someone who only played English version, and from what I saw on YT, original Japanese voices change characters in a lots of different ways.

I find it interesting that so many people love FFVI - I noticed that it slowly became more and more popular as years passed by, and FFIX also aged well, and is still nice PS1 game to play.

Anyway, I'd say that as far as main FF games go, most of them, if not all, are worthy to check out.
Xavon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:37 pm Reply with quote
ZestyLime wrote:

Except it isn't. That's the top 30 out of 57. Which means that trashy gacha game is in the middle of the pack. And ranked higher than FF IV After, FF VII Dirge of Cerberus, XIV, Tactics A2, or WoFF. Or FFBE, which may be a gacha game, but has a great original story and characters.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:

I haven't played every title yet but I don't really see any other game potentially as the best except for X.

It's always sad to see XII that low on lists. It is a great game with a gigantic beautiful world to explore and many things to find, though it admittedly does lack in both story and characters.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Xavon wrote:
And ranked higher than FF IV After, FF VII Dirge of Cerberus, XIV, Tactics A2, or WoFF. Or FFBE, which may be a gacha game, but has a great original story and characters.
XIV is on literally 5th place though.
Shuichi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
FFX being on top doesn’t surprise me. That game was always more popular in Japan, whereas FFVII is more popular in the west.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
surprised that XV got so high overall, honestly. i enjoy it a lot, but it's a total tirefire of a game LMAO
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
10 is in my top 3 along with 6 & 7
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
lol @ FFXIV being so high. Not because It doesnt' deserve it. I've put almost 200 days of playtime in it since 2010..but 90% of that has been 2013+ because the 2010 version (1.0) was such a disaster. It's hilarious and amazing to see FFXIV went from being the absolute worst FF game to one of the best.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:18 pm Reply with quote
disappointed by ff 8 rank, it being my favorite, but aside from that ff 15 should rank at the bottom...I cant think of a more miserable time i had playing through that nonsense. makes the ff 13 trilogy looks like a masterpiece.
Lynx Raven Raide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Psajdak wrote:

I find it interesting that so many people love FFVI - I noticed that it slowly became more and more popular as years passed by

Actually kind of surprised it didn't take out top spot because it has always been a heated debate, at least in the West, whether VI or VII is better. Though as someone else pointed out, this is a Japanese poll, so the results would probably be different.

Siegfriedl88 wrote:
disappointed by ff 8 rank, it being my favorite, but aside from that ff 15 should rank at the bottom...I cant think of a more miserable time i had playing through that nonsense. makes the ff 13 trilogy looks like a masterpiece.

On FF VIII, while the story was interesting, the mechanics and especially the enemy scaling annoyed the crap out of people.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I don’t have much skin in the FF games, but I am appalled to see Lightning Returns ranked above XIII-2.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Glad 13 is pretty low, can't believe they spend an entire console generation on one game and came out with that...

I dunno if I'd place X this high, it's definitely a good game but has some serious issues (here's a good analysis of the game that raise very good point much better than I could ever write, https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=32341)

Overall I agree pretty well with the top ranking, I'd push tactics higher however.

I love that battle of the bridge is still considered one of the best song, it's so great and show that even the technical limitation of older console could still output amazing song.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3