• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai Says He's 'Vaguely Figured Out' His Next Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:11 pm Reply with quote
if there's anything of concern with Shinkai, is he makes unambiguously great movies but it's attracted a lot of the usual politically incorrect toxicity that makes up the anime consumerdom. A lot of people are derisive of or harassing him for his successes, and then there are people that put these impossible expectations on him for liking his movies a bit too much to be considered healthy.

I fear he's going to snap from this pressure. He even said he was freaked out by how obsessive people were over "your name."
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
What toxicity? I haven't seen it.

Also, I hope he does something more fantastic like Children Who Chase Lost Voices next.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd only want to see something as ambitious as Children Who Chase Lost Voices in terms of length. As far as the story, themes, and characters of that movie, it's the messiest movie he's ever created. While by no means hideous to look at, it also lacks visually compared to his other movies. It just seemed highly unfocused, and it's the only movie where it makes you think this push for him to be the "next Miyazaki" actually got to him.

Miyazaki he is not, and that's not a bad thing. I love the smaller scale of his movies, focusing primarily on character interactions and more personal character arcs. It's such a simple concept, but it's one he manages to get right and knock out of the park everytime where other directors/writers are often more inconsistent.

I say all this to say that I don't really want a large scale epic from Shikai. I don't think he likes to tell those kinds of stories, nor do I think he excells at them.
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Right after coronavirus hits the world, especially Japan. Coincidence? Given the inspiration for Weathering With You, my first thought was that Shinkai's next film would have something to do with a virus, so I wouldn't be surprised.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:52 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I say all this to say that I don't really want a large scale epic from Shikai. I don't think he likes to tell those kinds of stories, nor do I think he excells at them.

I'm surprised people are still saying this after Your Name happened. Never really understood the "Shinkai can't do long movies" consensus even before that; the story structure in his longer movies is often unorthodox, but that's what makes them interesting. Distant Star and Garden of Words have always been my least favorite of his movies; they both felt unfinished, like a lot of important scenes were cut. Lost Voices is in my top 3.

I, uh, also don't quite see how this qualifies as news... he's making another movie, but doesn't want to say when it will be finished or what it's about. Okay then.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:03 pm Reply with quote
It was posted in the "Interest" category for that reason, I assume.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in whatever Shinkai has planned next but while I enjoyed Your Name and Weathering With You a lot, I just hope his next movie won't be about teenagers in love.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:35 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

I'm surprised people are still saying this after Your Name happened. Never really understood the "Shinkai can't do long movies" consensus even before that; the story structure in his longer movies is often unorthodox, but that's what makes them interesting. Distant Star and Garden of Words have always been my least favorite of his movies; they both felt unfinished, like a lot of important scenes were cut. Lost Voices is in my top 3.

I, uh, also don't quite see how this qualifies as news... he's making another movie, but doesn't want to say when it will be finished or what it's about. Okay then.

For me, Your Name was Shinkai’s best long movie, but it still suffered from the same occasionally meandering pacing and plotting that took out Lost Voices at the kneecaps. I find that his shorter movies feel much more directional and purposeful, like he knows exactly where he’s going and how to get there. With his longer movies...I guess it feels like he knows what his big story beats are, but not quite how to get from Point A to Point B coherently; I thought Your Name was solid until the last 20 or 30 minutes, where it felt like Shinkai was treading old “ships passing in the night” ground again just because it was one of his signature tropes. I suddenly knew how people watching the end of Return of the King felt.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I'm interested in whatever Shinkai has planned next but while I enjoyed Your Name and Weathering With You a lot, I just hope his next movie won't be about teenagers in love.

Seeing as how almost ALL of his movies are romance ones, don’t cross your fingers.
ericarreza

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:39 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Seeing as how almost ALL of his movies are romance ones, don’t cross your fingers.

If he'll make another teen romance film & got no Oscars nod again then I'll give a score of 9/10 just like what the 3 judges gave a score to Aaron Gordon on the NBA All Star Slam Dunk Contest last month. It looks nice but lack of perfection. Laughing

But anyway, I have a suggestion to Mr. Shinkai and I hope that he'll read this. He should stop making another teenage romantic film like Your Name, 5 cm per Second, Garden of Words, Weathering With You, etc., etc. and we have enough of that & it won't work for him to become a successful anime director just like Hayao Miyazaki. Probably his next project should be a historical drama anime film like the story of the last Japanese female samurai warrior by the name of Nakano Takeko and you could search her name on Wikipedia for more info. I'd already posted a message when I'd saw a Youtube video there and hopefully he could make that one since there was a live action movie that was shown in Japan a few years ago and also Makoto Shinkai had visited to Fukushima, Japan for his documentary film about the nuclear power plant disaster there and surely he'd also visited to her monument & her resting place in Fukushima prefecture. If he could do that then it'll become a Mulan version of a Japanese anime film. Just for my two cents.
Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1