• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - The Top 5 Gen Urobuchi Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Where the **** is phantom requiem?
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Link to the survey is broken.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Urobuchi also worked on Gargantia. The cynic and asshole in my feared that Thunderbolt Fantasy (which is not anime) was going to be included in this list.
Orange Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Just Passing Through wrote:
Link to the survey is broken.

And now I know that there is a site https.com (which ironically doesn't support https). I wonder how much traffic they get from these kind of mistakes in links.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
That fact that Zac wrote this is just so obvious (and not just because it says that he wrote it) that I started having cognitive dissonance and was imagining his voice from ANNCast in place of Jacki's.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Where the **** is phantom requiem?

that is a questionable anime. I doubt many people will disagree with that sentiment at the least.

Also spoilerific image header
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Madoka in second place? The show that Hideaki Anno called "Mahou-shoujo Eve" and turned dark MS into a trend?
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Sidestepping the question of whether or not thunberbolt is an anime for a moment, it's really nothing special. It's a classic story populated with classic character, nobody is really playing their role in clever or interesting way, they just do what you'd expect their character to do in this type of story. The fight aren't anything special either and have a tendency to boil down to big giant flashy bolt of light.

Ultimately the only thing that makes the show special is the fact that it's all puppet, you've seen this story a million times as an anime, but not as a puppet show. The fight wouldn't be very impressive if they were animated, but as puppet it's pretty cool what they get them to do.

Maybe the second season is much more special or something, but by the end of the first one I was getting kinda bored because nothing that special happened. It's fine as disposable entertainment, but 5 second after watching it, I had pretty much forgotten everything that happened.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:03 pm Reply with quote
also seeing this list and singling out Phantom made me think Gen's anime lineup seems a bit thin. Then I just realized/remembered as of 2020 Saya no Uta somehow never got an anime greenlit. With how renowned Gen is and how popular that VN is (Madoka Magica actually even renewed its sales figures), it's a bit surprising.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:31 pm Reply with quote
As much as I like Concrete Revolutio, Gen only wrote one episode.
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
You forgot to put Aldonah Zero on the survey. That is an Urobuchi work through and through, even if he went to do Kamen Rider (which I think was kinda of a dick move) instead of sticking with the production. If you google around, you can find translations of interviews from the time to back up my points:

1) A/Z was a concept he had been thinking of for years and dovetailed with a desire to do mecha-oriented stories.
2) He convinced Ei Aoki after pitching it to him while they working on F/Z.
3) It was enough to get Aoki to leave AIC found TROYCA specifically to produce it since AIC refused.
4) He spent 2 years working on pre-production and involved NitroPlus in the production committee even after he left.
5) He wrote the story composition for the entire show and the scripts for the first 3 episodes before he left.
6) Aoki insists in the interviews that Urobuchi’s story was preserved to the end and that major events that happened were detailed in the story composition.

So, in honesty, I fail to see how Concrete is Urobuchi anime but not A/Z.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:15 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
also seeing this list and singling out Phantom made me think Gen's anime lineup seems a bit thin. Then I just realized/remembered as of 2020 Saya no Uta somehow never got an anime greenlit. With how renowned Gen is and how popular that VN is (Madoka Magica actually even renewed its sales figures), it's a bit surprising.

Saya no Uta would be a tough adaptation. The graphic sexual content and explicit gore (some of the former and all of the latter of which is plot-important) indicate it should be a hentai OVA, but hentai producers would throw away the plot in favor of cramming more gratuitous sex scenes into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm aware this isn't a popular opinion, but I genuinely don't understand how anyone can claim Fate/Zero is well-written. It's nothing more than vapid, juvenile, misogynistic shlock with one-note characters that have no meaningful chemistry with each other. Except Rider and Waver. At least the F/SN crew have personalities and interactions with each other that feel dynamic, even if it has a tendency of dragging it's feet a little during those interactions. Urobuchi in general is pretty bad at writing characters that aren't just a thematic mouthpiece or are solely meant to represent some sort of concept he's trying to get across. Madoka's the closest he's come to where fully-realized characters that feel like something resembling a human being are the majority rather than a select few. I don't see why the guy gets as much praise as he does.

That being said, I agree that Requiem for the Phantom is underappreciated as far as Urobuchi anime go, even if the ending left a nasty taste in my mouth.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I don’t blame anyone for putting TBF as their top pick for Urobuchi’s shows, but being a fan of magical girls, Madoka Magica is a very special series to me, much like how Evangelion is to fans of mecha anime.

1. Madoka Magica
2. Fate/Zero
3. Psycho-Pass
4. Thunderbolt Fantasy
5. Expelled from Paradise

Fate/Zero is what got me into the Fate saga to begin with, and Psycho-Pass doesn’t just have memorable characters, it also has a lot of literary significance. TBF is witty, humorous, and outright charming in its own violent way, but I just ADORE the three shows I put ahead of it. Expelled from Paradise is a good movie, but it’s overwhelming and sometimes clunky CG can be a bit distracting.

Gen Urobuchi is easily one of my favorite personalities in the anime industry, and I hope he keeps branching out into new genres and reaches more viewers.
Dark Mysty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Urobuchi's Kamen Rider series is named "Kamen Rider Gaim", not "Kamen Rider Zero".

The latest Kamen Rider, Kamen Rider Zero-One, is by Yuya Takahashi, who also writes for anime and wrote Lupin III Part IV.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2